Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OnStar turns 15, has unlocked 4.7 million doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 07:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

An excellent example of this was when the GMC division did not install dual-front-air bags in its trucks/vans/SUVs until the Federal deadline in 1995. Most other automakers (and divisions) had drivers'-side or dual bags in at least some, if not all, of their vehicles by then. The only other two holdouts (that I can remember) were the Mazda Protege and Chevy/Geo Sprint, with no bags at all until the 1995 deadline.
Good examples of GM being a non-pioneer in terms of safety. They dragged *** with ABS implementation too, the thought was they weren't sure that it would be the valuable safety feature that it's proven to be. Let's hope the corportate culture continues to improve.
Old 09-14-10, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And, conversely, I'm shocked by the number of people who don't do the obvious, sensible thing and just keep a spare house and car key in a SECURE compartment in their wallet, like I do. It pays off.....at least twice, I've actually needed them, for real.
Many security experts would consider that to be a poor place to keep a spare house key. Since a pick-pocket/thief would not only have your home address on drivers license but the key to the door also, what a field day.

My preference is electronic (keyless) keypad for one entrance, and I've had no security issues as a result. It comes in handy when going out jogging or hiking in my area directly from house without carrying a complete wallet/keys.
Old 09-14-10, 04:33 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Many security experts would consider that to be a poor place to keep a spare house key. Since a pick-pocket/thief would not only have your home address on drivers license but the key to the door also, what a field day.

My preference is electronic (keyless) keypad for one entrance, and I've had no security issues as a result. It comes in handy when going out jogging or hiking in my area directly from house without carrying a complete wallet/keys.
uhh, that's pretty obvious.
so now they have full knowledge and access to your house if you ever lose your wallet.
Old 09-14-10, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
so now they have full knowledge and access to your house if you ever lose your wallet.
uhh, like no kidding Nobody wants to deal with a home break-in.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-14-10 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Originally Posted by IS-SV
uhh, like no kidding Nobody wants to deal with a home break-in.
Agreed, that's a possiblilty, but the average person is more likely to lock his/her keys in the car (or accidentally lock themselves out of their house) than they are to lose or forget their wallet....that's the whole thread topic.
Some people, instead, keep a spare key under their porch or balcony, but burglars are wise to that...they know where to look.
Old 09-15-10, 01:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, that's a possiblilty, but the average person is more likely to lock his/her keys in the car (or accidentally lock themselves out of their house) than they are to lose or forget their wallet....that's the whole thread topic.
Some people, instead, keep a spare key under their porch or balcony, but burglars are wise to that...they know where to look.
I disagree, not that it matters since there are no statistics to prove it (about the "average person" lost keys versus lost or stolen wallet). I personally know people that have lost wallets and not a good situation, fortunately they did not give the thief a key to their front door with a full address on DL like a written invitation.

But of course everybody has unique experiences (have to respect that), myself I have never locked my keys in the car or locked myself out of my house. It's difficult to lock my keys in the car because all my cars have remotes. And it's difficult to lock my keys in the house because I lock the front door with a key (deadbolt type lock).

My preference is electronic (keyless with battery backup) keypad for one entrance, and I've had no security issues as a result. It comes in handy when going out jogging or hiking in my area directly from house without carrying a complete wallet/keys.

Back on topic: Happy Birthday Onstar.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-15-10 at 02:35 PM. Reason: sp