Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CR-Z 5 days on dealer lots, HS250h 129 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 08:39 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Honda CR-Z 5 days on dealer lots, HS250h 129 days

I give the CR-Z 2 months before its on the losers list. I'm not shocked by the HS and its been pretty clear from month one that it is a sales failure.

Movers and Losers: August 2010

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...cking+Tires%29

Code:
Movers

* 2011 Honda CR-Z: 5 days
    * 2011 Chevy Equinox: 6 days
    * 2011 Ford Fusion: 6 days
    * 2011 GMC Terrain: 6 days
    * 2011 Land Rover Range Rover Sport: 7 days
    * 2011 Infiniti QX56: 8 days
    * 2011 Mercedes-Benz C300: 8 days
    * 2011 Toyota Tacoma: 8 days
    * 2011 Audi A5 coupe: 9 days
    * 2011 Cadillac SRX: 9 days
    * 2011 Ford Escape: 9 days
    * 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen: 9 days

Losers

* 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback: 207 days
    * 2010 Scion xD: 189 days
    * 2010 Suzuki SX4 Sportback: 188 days
    * 2010 Ford Transit Connect: 161 days
    * 2010 Mazda RX-8: 152 days
    * 2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid: 145 days
    * 2010 Lexus HS 250h: 129 days
    * 2010 Mazda MX-5: 117 days
    * 2010 Kia Optima: 107 days
    * 2010 Acura RL: 106 days

Cars.com Picks

* 2010 Nissan 370Z convertible: 102 days
    * 2010 Toyota Yaris sedan: 95 days
    * 2010 Honda Insight: 95 days
    * 2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT: 94 days
    * 2010 BMW 650i coupe: 19 days
    * 2010 Lancer Evolution: 92 days
Old 09-11-10, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Yeah I mean the car has been on dealer lots barely a month, its brand new and ricers need a new ride.

HS is a huge flop.

Actual sales volume is most important number. Days on the lot is a function of anticipated sales versus actual sales among other things. Supply and demand.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-11-10 at 09:29 AM.

Old 09-11-10, 09:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a buddy that has owned a 93 Honda Del Sol since new and he's waiting to check out the CR-Z. The Del Sol has about 200K miles and has been his daily driver. Now that he took early retirement, he's looking for a new ride. I'll have to see if he's going to get the CR-Z.
Old 09-11-10, 09:40 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised on CZ (highly over rated) but shocked on HS
Old 09-11-10, 04:19 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

The slightly disturbing stat in that grid is the fact that SUV's have fallen back into favor with americans. How soon people forget.
Old 09-11-10, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexJaq
The slightly disturbing stat in that grid is the fact that SUV's have fallen back into favor with americans. How soon people forget.
It's not that people forget. Lots of Americans simply want SUV's, period. And, unless gas is outrageously expensive (like it was in the summer of 2008) they are willing to pay to fill them up. That's simply a free-market economy and supply/demand.
Old 09-11-10, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah I mean the car has been on dealer lots barely a month, its brand new and ricers need a new ride.
Actual sales volume is most important number. Days on the lot is a function of anticipated sales versus actual sales among other things. Supply and demand.
It goes beyond that. A lot of CRX fans, for a LONG time, have been waiting for a credible 2-seater, hatchback replacement. Of course, the term "credible", to an extent, is in the eyes of the beholder. I, myself, after seeing and reviewing it, was very impressed with its overall build quality...but not with the unrefined IMA/CVT powertrain. I would bet that, no matter what the dealer size or stock, manual-transmission versions are going quicker than automatics, even in dense-traffic areas (it is the first American-market gas-electric hybrid to offer a 6-speed manual). Those who test-drive the CVT are probably not going to opt for it as much.

HS is a huge flop.
It sells here in the D.C. area (heck, for that matter, everything does), but, nationwide, I have to agree....it's been disappointing. I think the main problem with the HS is that the interior is too Toyota-like and lacks Lexus-type luxury and refinement. They could start, for one, by putting in some more wood-trim.
Old 09-11-10, 09:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

HSh is over priced imo.
Old 09-11-10, 09:41 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ahaha. that's hysterical. 4 months.

please send lexus upper mgmt a memo- stop making cars that are shaped like a corolla, and cost more than they look.

actually, scratch the memo. i think they said 'oops' a long time ago.

When the CT comes to america, it most likely will suffer the same fate with **** poor sales.
It's probably not a bad car, but wearing a toyota badge is more fitting.

Americans don't think the same way as japanese and european consumers.

this reminds me of the cadillac cimarron, where cadillac went for a smaller, uglier car with better fuel economy, but had nonexistent consumer reception.

If mercedes brought their A and B class cars to america, and charged $30k+ for them, they would also sit on lots for a whole year.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think the main problem with the HS is .........They could start, for one, by putting in some more wood-trim.
i'm sorry, but nothing can save the HS short of lowering the price (fully loaded for $29000, after all, it does get tons worse mpg than the prius), and slapping a toyota badge on it. Wood trim doesn't make the sale. There's faux wood that looks just as good.

They could start, for one, by redesigning the exterior completely. it sticks out like a sore thumb in the lexus sedan line up.

infiniti QX56 is the biggest surprise. didnt think people would like its whale face. But it looks like people are diggin it

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-11-10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
ahaha. that's hysterical. 4 months.

please send lexus upper mgmt a memo- stop making cars that are shaped like a corolla, and cost more than they look.

actually, scratch the memo. i think they said 'oops' a long time ago.

When the CT comes to america, it most likely will suffer the same fate with **** poor sales.
It's probably not a bad car, but wearing a toyota badge is more fitting.

Americans don't think the same way as japanese and european consumers.

this reminds me of the cadillac cimarron, where cadillac went for a smaller, uglier car with better fuel economy, but had nonexistent consumer reception.

If mercedes brought their A and B class cars to america, and charged $30k+ for them, they would also sit on lots for a whole year.

i'm sorry, but nothing can save the HS short of lowering the price (fully loaded for $29000, after all, it does get tons worse mpg than the prius), and slapping a toyota badge on it. Wood trim doesn't make the sale. There's faux wood that looks just as good.

They could start, for one, by redesigning the exterior completely. it sticks out like a sore thumb in the lexus sedan line up.

infiniti QX56 is the biggest surprise. didnt think people would like its whale face. But it looks like people are diggin it
Have you driven the HS? No. Have you hated the HS since inception? Yes. Do you seemingly complain about every Lexus model? Yes.

It is clear the HS is a big miss here. It is no Cimmeron

P.S-low gas prices ain't helping the HS either.

Old 09-11-10, 10:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i didnt think about it from that perspective. when gas prices rise (esp as significantly as a few summers ago), the talk was all on hybrids and saving gas for the future. now that gas prices have relatively settled, although it couldnt hurt for them go down even more during the holidays coming up, SUV's are still prevalent, and in high demand.

personally, i like HS, and where i live, the dealers don't have a lot on the lots. that might be because they're choosing not to get too many given the report in the original post, but i still see a good number on the streets daily. the hybrid + luxury will be in demand, i think, but unfortunately the numbers aren't as solid as lexus had hoped.
Old 09-11-10, 10:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I didnt even know the CRZ was available for sale...not much press attention

as for the HS, Im starting to see them popping up here and there, saw 2 today. lol

i'm sorry, but nothing can save the HS short of lowering the price (fully loaded for $29000
29K doesnt buy a lot these days, are you serious with a 29K fully loaded? Even a Camry hybrid fully loaded reaches 33K.

Honda buried the 0-60 time for the CRZ on their website, I cant find it at all

Last edited by RXSF; 09-11-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 02:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

When the HS debuted, it was in short supply and people were clamoring to get it. Now it's CR-Z's turn. And in three months, it will be another new car's turn. And in eight months... you get the picture. Nearly every new highly anticipated car (especially hybrids) has a short initial supply. The HS shined in the beginning, but wasn't able to keep momentum going for reasons we've already listed. A fair comparison would be to compare the supply numbers of both cars when they were just released. Anything else is apples to mangos.
Old 09-12-10, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

as for the HS, Im starting to see them popping up here and there, saw 2 today. lol

29K doesnt buy a lot these days, are you serious with a 29K fully loaded? Even a Camry hybrid fully loaded reaches 33K.

:
I see a few in my area.
$29K is too low loaded but $48K is insane.I's say $39K loaded would work.
I've driven one and found it's slow and had road noise at highway speeds.
Old 09-12-10, 05:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really call the HS overpriced. After all it does hold the title as one of the most technologically advanced car in the world. It just holds a very bizarre position in the market place.There's just not too many people interested in a compact, 4 cylinder, hybrid, sedan, luxury vehicle.

Quick Reply: Honda CR-Z 5 days on dealer lots, HS250h 129 days