Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Condensed Review: 2011 Mazda2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 07:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Despite the more-or-less similar exterior size, they are totally different cars in engine, transmission, body styling, model choice, and interior.
they are in fact based on the same platform, as back then, Ford was biggest shareholder of Mazda for years, and they co-developed these small car platforms together (with Mazda taking the lead and two companies saving hundreds of millions jointly). They had 33.4% of Mazda in 2008 and now it is down to less than 7%. Mazda is actually looking ahead to their freedom, according to media reports.

They are very very very similar cars, only difference is how they wanted to market their cars in the USA, and hence engines and transmissions they offered here.
Old 09-12-10, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
with japanese small cars, you can move rear seats and flat fold them as well... in this aspect, ford/mazda are designed as if it is 80's. they also have less usable space at the back, if you compare them directly... but once again, they sell well in europe because they look good.
"Move" rear seats? I don't follow you. Do you mean REmove the seats, and take them out? No subcompact sold in the American market, that I know of, has that feature....even the versatile Mini Clubman. And it you mean fore/aft movement of the rear-seat like in some luxury cars, subcompacts simply don't have the space for that.

Just because I'm not aware of that feature in any U.S.-market small cars, though, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. If you show me an example, I'll stand corrected.
Old 09-12-10, 08:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fiesta had a 6-speed, twin-clutch automated-manual gearbox (two more gears than the Mazda2's 4-speed). And, while yes, it was more efficient and gave better MPG by about 3 or 4 MPG, it's smoothness, from low-speed surging, didn't impress me, and the acceleration, especially starting up and at low RPM, didn't feel much different from the Mazda2's.

I do agree with you, though, that cost-control is a factor with 4-speed automatics (and sometimes underhood space for the gearbox itself) compared to those transmissions with more gears.
Space considerations are a non-issue in this class of cars when it comes to accomodating a transmission with 1/2/3 more forward gears. It's easy to see that most of these cars have plenty of room.

Smoothness of multi-speed (additonal speeds totaling 6/7/8 speeds)transmission has nothing to do with the low-speed surging of particular cars (Fiesta or in some cases some of the many complaints logged with dual clutch trannys). Smoothness is actually enhanced with closer ratios, and less lurching and less loud 4 cylinder reving noise when down-shifting for passing, because the multispeed tranny can drop to a more ideal gear for optimal use of powerband.

Short answer, the 4 speed tranny is cheap.
Old 09-13-10, 12:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Move" rear seats? I don't follow you. Do you mean REmove the seats, and take them out? No subcompact sold in the American market, that I know of, has that feature....even the versatile Mini Clubman. And it you mean fore/aft movement of the rear-seat like in some luxury cars, subcompacts simply don't have the space for that.

Just because I'm not aware of that feature in any U.S.-market small cars, though, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. If you show me an example, I'll stand corrected.
There are a number of small, Fiesta size, cars that have this feature. The rear seats are mounted on rails and you can slide them back to give you extra legroom in the rear, or you can slide them forward to increase the cargo area in the rear. Two that come to mind are the Nissan Note and the Renault Modus (both based on the same platform). The feature is very useful in the Note (a very under-rated car IMO), where with five doors and the seats slid back it can comfortably accommodate 4 six-footers.

Old 09-13-10, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
There are a number of small, Fiesta size, cars that have this feature. The rear seats are mounted on rails and you can slide them back to give you extra legroom in the rear, or you can slide them forward to increase the cargo area in the rear. Two that come to mind are the Nissan Note and the Renault Modus (both based on the same platform). The feature is very useful in the Note (a very under-rated car IMO), where with five doors and the seats slid back it can comfortably accommodate 4 six-footers.
Thanks. The Note and Modus, of course, are not sold in the U.S., (nor displayed at auto shows), so I personally have not seen or tried that feature.