Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Ecoboost for all Ford models

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 07:29 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Report: Ecoboost for all Ford models

Report: Ecoboost for all Ford models

Once again, reports are making the rounds that each model in Ford's stable will soon be available with an Ecoboost engine option. While this isn't the first time we've heard such murmurings, The Detroit News reports that Jim Farley, the Ford global head of sales, says that his company's product plans include direct-injection and turbocharging at the core of each vehicle's future powertrain lineup. Don't think that those high-tech, smaller-displacement engines will command a price tag that's any easier to swallow, though.

Farley believes consumers will be willing to pay more for Ecoboost-powered vehicles. Why? Because the fuel economy savings can offset the MSRP premium in as little as two years. That may help to explain why the Blue Oval has priced the Ecoboost four-cylinder Explorer above the equivalent V6 model.

Even so, Farley didn't make mention of whether or not the Blue Oval is meditating on situating a forced-induction engine into the likes of the mighty Mustang. While we know the new F-150 will arrive with a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 under its hood this fall, the brand's pony car has been hallowed ground for the naturally-aspirated faithful... for now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/r...l-ford-models/
Old 09-14-10, 09:53 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Really? Even for the Econoline?
Old 09-14-10, 10:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Haven't been real impressed with anything Ecoboost. From what I have read, it doesn't seem to stand out much, set the bar, or win comparisons in real world tests. Also a dorky/nerdy name. A better idea would be to design your engines to be efficient, powerful, and affordable.
Old 09-15-10, 03:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reliability/durability still needs to be proven to consumers.
Old 09-15-10, 03:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Haven't been real impressed with anything Ecoboost. From what I have read, it doesn't seem to stand out much, set the bar, or win comparisons in real world tests. Also a dorky/nerdy name. A better idea would be to design your engines to be efficient, powerful, and affordable.
If you want to be convinced, go drive one. The Taurus SHO is not only very fast for a large car, but is still smooth and quiet. The current 3.5 liter Ecoboost makes the Flex a very fast crossover - less than 6 seconds 0-60 times. Despite the additional power and AWD, the Ecoboost gets better mileage than the standard engine.

It seems to me that Ford has done most of what you think is a better idea - effecient and powerful. As to affordable, the Ecoboost premium which includes AWD in all applications so far is about the same as going to a V8.
Steve
Old 09-16-10, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I check-tested an Ecoboost model when I reviewed the Lincoln MKT. It was definitely more responsive than the standard V6, but not as responsive as the ads seem to imply. Of course, the MKT (based on the Ford Flex) is a fairly large and heavy vehicle, with AWD. That may not be the case in a smaller, lighter vehicle.

As for the Ecoboost going into "all" Ford models, I don't see how they are going to stuff a big 3.5L turbo V6 into the Ford Fiesta and Focus. For those two vehicles, seems like they will have to do a smaller, 4-cylinder "Ecoboost".

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Haven't been real impressed with anything Ecoboost.
I haven't either, as I just indicated above. But that, admittedly, is based on a sample of only 1 or 2 vehicles....and heavy ones at that. For example, I haven't sampled it yet in the Taurus SHO.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Reliability/durability still needs to be proven to consumers.

Gas-engine automotive turbos, in general, are much more reliable than they used to be, but, even with proper care/operation, intercoolers, water-cooling jackets, and use of Turbo-Approved dino or synthetic oil, it's still a roll of the dice to see whether they will outlast the rest of the engine. They spin at enormous RPMs, take a long time to spool down, and generate intense heat....especially on the internal parts.
Old 09-17-10, 10:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gas-engine automotive turbos, in general, are much more reliable than they used to be, but, even with proper care/operation, intercoolers, water-cooling jackets, and use of Turbo-Approved dino or synthetic oil, it's still a roll of the dice to see whether they will outlast the rest of the engine. They spin at enormous RPMs, take a long time to spool down, and generate intense heat....especially on the internal parts.
Not to mention the lifespan and reliability of the engine itself (not the turbo unit), example being blown head gaskets.

These turbo engines have yet to be proven to be as reliable as NA engines.