Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, guys, no laughs, please: Review: 2011 Cadillac DTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 07:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, comfy rental car for tooling around town is its primary use.
Old 09-16-10, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It seems that with today's trend of adding a dose of sport to most vehicle offerings, it is getting harder and harder to find a vehicle that focuses primarily on Luxury and comfort without climbing the $$$ ladder ie Rolls, Bentley, Maybach. Currently I think the next best things would be Lexus and Buick. Gone are the days of traditional large American sedans with comfortable if not floaty rides
The Buick Lucerne still hangs on, but its days, as we know it, are (probably) numbered, too. Can't complain much about the new Buick LaCrosse, though. The chassis engineers did a superb job with that, creating one of the best combinations of ride/handling I've ever seen in an American-nameplate car. It (now) gives quick steering response, flatter cornering, and yet retains a goodly amount (not all) of the old soft Buick ride.
Old 09-16-10, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Around here, comfy rental car for tooling around town is its primary use.
They use DTS limos, too, out there in Silicon Valley, don't they?.....or are they mostly Town Cars?
Old 09-16-10, 07:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They use DTS limos, too, out there in Silicon Valley, don't they?.....or are they mostly Town Cars?
Yes, but Town Cars are more common, some Rolls, Hummers, Escalades, Benz's limos too.
Old 09-16-10, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

the customer base for this car is literally dying off, but those that still buy like the car the way it is, so gm makes money for nuthin'...
Old 09-16-10, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice review,Mike.
Thanks.

I'm with you on the compact spare being an insult with the cost of the car.I'll add the car has the room for a full size spare.
Also only Good wind/road-noise insulation.The car should be super quiet.
I agree the 4 speed trans is bad too.
Manual tilt steering!
It does ride quiely, except for exhaust noise from the engine on acceleration. Step on it, and, noise-wise, it instantly transforms from an LS460 to a semi-Porsche.

The donut spare, 4-speed tranny, outdated engine, overly-plastic interior, manual-tilt, limited paint colors, and so-so sheet metal are all signs, IMO, of over-neglect from its parent company.

Car service business sales probably keep the model going.
Actually, it's probably the senior-citizens, more than anybody else, that keep it going. The DTS is one car where the old stereotype about it being a Grandpa/Grandma vehicle DOES fit. It is rare (but not unheard of) to see anybody younger than about 45-50 driving one. You sometimes see younger people driving Buicks, but rarely a DeVille/DTS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the customer base for this car is literally dying off, but those that still buy like the car the way it is, so gm makes money for nuthin'...
Yes, many traditional DTS customers are passing away, but, to take their place, the largest generation in history (post-WWII Baby Boomers) are aging, getting arthritis and bad backs, reaching retirement age, and will probably also be looking for something with a pillow-soft ride.

I agree that senility and absent-mindedness, though, on the part of many of the current DTS buyers, may (?) acccount for the fact that so many of them like the smooth ride but are seemingly blind to the car's many other faults. I myself like a soft ride, but I also check out the car around me....and what I'm actually driving.
Old 09-16-10, 07:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Traditional DTS customers are Don Corleone wannabes
Old 09-16-10, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I would think this would be the prefect example for Govt Motors as to what's going on.... ahhh... WRONG with GM... if anyone of them gave a crap about what people think ("irked" mentioned multiple times on an initial drive and review from a "prospective" buyer)... CTS-class seems to be GM's "flagship" going forward

Well done Mike, very well done
Thanks, Russ. See my comments, just above (#22), on this subject, in my reply to bitkahuna.
Old 09-16-10, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Nice review mmarshall
Thanks.

Enjoyed your review and I agree not too much to get excited about here.

As you noted the car is its sunset phase of the life cycle. Limo and rental use seem best suited for it in 2010 but that's not a bad thing as it is a niche, but they really did fail to update this car as needed to keep it fresh, exciting and competitive.
Like I mentioned earlier, it still seems to be the white-haired seniors that keep the DTS going, even more than limo firms. Most of the limos are either custom-built or special-ordered. The average senior citizen, though, keeps the regular DTS production line going. GM has not only seriously neglected the car, but seems intent on dropping or replacing it despite the fact that it has a core of loyal (if aged) buyers/supporters....just as Lincoln did with the Town Car.
Old 09-16-10, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Traditional DTS customers are Don Corleone wannabes
Corelone must be wearing a hearing aid.

Actually, the DTS/DeVille was not always a Grandpa-car. In the 50s and 60s, big Cadillacs were considered a class act....especially the convertibles and pink ones. Elvis Presley, for example, out of his personal fortune, used to give away new Cadillacs to friends and relatives. His pink '59 convertible is still on display at Graceland.

Mary Kay Cosmetics also used to order pink Cadillacs for their successful salespeople (though their pink is a patented, much-lighter pink color...almost beige). Later (presumably to cut costs) they started to buy pink Pontiacs and Buicks, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The DTS Performance is my favorite Cadillac sedan. The upgraded suspension gives the car a more composed feeling on the road. That said, I agree with most all of the negatives Mike cites. The interior styling is horribly dated and lacks quality. The hood and trunk lid feel very flimsy. The 4-speed Hydramatic is best viewed as maintaining the legacy of past models. A couple features that always made me smile:

- The V8 exhaust note is wonderful. I miss this in my LS. It is present in the standard DTS and even better in the DTS performance, with revised exhaust.

- The front seats are the epitome of comfort for me. The size and firmness are great. The upgraded leathers are good, but not to the level of the semi aniline leather on my LS. The seat chillers are practically strong enough to induce frostbite. My LS430 cooled seats are a joke in comparison. The heated function can be split between the bottom & back or just back alone. This is great for those of us that may want help for a sore back without getting a hot rear. However, the heated seat controls are mounted on the door. Since I have to have access to this controls when my wife rides in the passenger seat (she doesn't know when she's getting too warm), I can't safely reach them when mounted on the passenger door.

I was close to buying a late model used DTS Performance instead of my LS430, but the expected reliability of the two cars, especially during the second 100K miles, really favors the Lexus. The overall feeling of quality favors the LS430. The steep depreciation, even of used DTS units, also favors the Lexus. The LS430 provides nearly the same interior and trunk space in a vehicle size that is almost a foot shorter. Another consideration in my already-crowded garage.
The Performance model is no longer listed in the specs....and I didn't see one anywhere on the lot yesterday. A while back, a touring model with a slightly sportier trim/chassis/tires, called the DeVille Concours, was also done, but it was not a big seller.
Old 09-16-10, 08:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

As boomers age and start looking for that retirement car they'll gravitate towards contemporary cars like the LaCrosse, Lincoln MK's (hopefully for Ford), ES350, LS and other cars that are more of an extension of what they are used to vs. DTS, Town Car etc.

The big Lincolns and Caddys appealed to an earlier generation.
Old 09-16-10, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Funny saw a beautiful new black DTS parked in front the restaurant we ate at last night. It looks so distinctive to most of the sedans today. Shame they stopped really updating it and a SHAME they are going to drop it. It still sells relatively well.

Funny thing to me is, if it was badged a Honda there would be a million excuses why it the 4 speed is fine and the car doesn't need changing. Not picking on you Mike at all its just that on paper the car ain't that far behind "all new" vehicles from many brands. Its just missing the new tech to me.

Great review, I love the DTS.

Old 09-16-10, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As boomers age and start looking for that retirement car they'll gravitate towards contemporary cars like the LaCrosse, Lincoln MK's (hopefully for Ford), ES350, LS and other cars that are more of an extension of what they are used to vs. DTS, Town Car etc.
The big Lincolns and Caddys appealed to an earlier generation.

Well, we've heard that argument before. Time will tell how much truth there is to it. And many Boomers, of course, have avoided all American premium cars, period, and have stuck to brands like Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc....

However, the traditional soft-riding American luxury car still has a lot of appeal to aging backs, legs, and spines.....even those who are not 70-80 years old yet. That's why I think the general move to lower-profile tires and stiffer suspensions, at least for some cars, has been a mistake.

Quick Reply: OK, guys, no laughs, please: Review: 2011 Cadillac DTS