Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, guys, no laughs, please: Review: 2011 Cadillac DTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I rather liked the Lucerne CXS. It had the 275 HP Northstar (same as the non-Performance editions of the DTS) which actually has more low end torque than the 292 HP Northstar in the Performance. Due to the lower weight and that low end torque, it tested faster 0-60 than the DTS Performance. Plus, it gets better MPG than the DTS Performace due to the standard rear end. The CXS has a stiffer suspension than the other V6 (CX or CXL) or V8 (few CXL units) floaty Lucernes.
The CXS suspension just might (?) be a little too stiff for some traditional Buick buyers. Many of them (especially for the Lucerne) want the Float-O-Matic ride and Roly-Poly handling of the DTS.

However, the Lucerne dash looks even worse than that of the DTS and there is only the base level leather available.
I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree. The Lucerne's dash, with that BIG wood-panel, at least looked liked natural wood, even though it was plastic. The DTS wood-trim inside (two are offered) didn't look very natural (or well-fitted), though the Light Ash in the Platinum-level model was, IMO, better-looking than the Burled-Walnut of the other trim levels.

Again, the real killer for these cars for me was the frequent chassis shake that couldn't be balanced out. Some cars had it while other didn't. Add that to the likely squeaks and rattles from that old platform and doubtful reliability for the second 100K miles, I would be selling the car before the CPO warranty was up.
Shouldn't have much in the way of shakes/rattles with modern computer-designed unibody construction. And most Buicks, according to Consumer Reports, have consistantly had Better-Than-Average reliability ratings. The now-discontinued Century/Regal (an all-new Regal is coming soon), in fact, rivalled the Camry and Accord for top-level reliability in the mid-sized sedan class.

In fact, the last new car I reviewed/drove that had significant creaks/rattles, brand-new, right off the lot, was (drum-roll, please ) a Lexus...............the all-new 2007 ES350. I found that car disappointing in several ways. Since then, those problems have (mostly) been addressed on later ES models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-10 at 08:27 PM.