Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Escalade, looking for a SUV, Maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 03:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If i were you, save money and get a tahoe or denali, although like others have said, i am not sure what is available in the japanese market
Old 09-18-10, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
aunt uses a honda element for her two big dogs, easy to load, easy to clean out
J.P.'s got a good point here. I agree. And, though the Element lacks the ground clearance and rugged frame of a Tahoe/Suburban, it's virtually guaranteed to get far better mileage.
Old 09-18-10, 09:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Why do you need to have a full-size behemoth? You can do just about all your dog duties and chores with a mid-sized SUV. Save money, save gas, easier to drive, easier to park, and easier to fit inside a garage, and easier to wash/wax.
Old 09-19-10, 03:00 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dave if you want you can do some reading here, I know the admin there and I used to post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...sv-forum-2007/

Newer Escalade is better quality-wise but can also be a huge hit or miss. Good luck.
Thanks Mike, I will take a look.

Originally Posted by G Star
Escalade in Japan? are there a lot over there? if not...Dave be pimpin!
It is an import, not a lot over here and a new will probably go about $100K.

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know what vehicles are/aren't available in Japan. But an Escalade just to shuttle dogs around seems a bit excessive? But if you have the means I guess go right ahead.

Alternatively maybe something like the Honda Element? Although I think it's a North America only product. Perhaps something simlar exists?
Although I appreciate the suggestion, I am not going to drive a Honda element. I agree it may be a bit excessive , but I like the look of the Escalade and I am pretty old fashioned and my choices are usually based on what I like.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Why do you need to have a full-size behemoth? You can do just about all your dog duties and chores with a mid-sized SUV. Save money, save gas, easier to drive, easier to park, and easier to fit inside a garage, and easier to wash/wax.
I guess if if those things were important to you it would make sense. And when I don't have time to take the car to Lexus for a free wash and wax, I pay for my car to be washed, so it does not really make a difference in that department either.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you don't need a full-size SUV, check out the Mercedes GLK. It's only been on the market less than two years, but, in that time, Consumer Reports gives it a much-better-than-average reliability rating.....better then any other U.S.-market M-B product. Uness your wife is hauling around several Great Danes, it should have enough room inside for a least a couple of normal-sized dogs, especially with the rear-seat folded. I recently reviewed a new GLK, was was impressed with its build quality.
I don't mind the GLK, but yes we will have some huge dogs. I am not sure if anyone has heard of Leonbergers. This is not my dog but it will give you an idea of their size, they are considered a giant breed.

Old 09-19-10, 04:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, strike my suggestion about a Subaru. You may even have trouble with the interior height of a fullsize SUV. The folks I've met with very large dog breeds swear by fullsize passenger vans from GM and Ford.
Old 09-19-10, 04:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Swagger Wagon (Sienna)? For dogs that size, perfect with seats folded and easy for them to jump in... + good for 200K miles
Old 09-19-10, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

I don't mind the GLK, but yes we will have some huge dogs. I am not sure if anyone has heard of Leonbergers. This is not my dog but it will give you an idea of their size, they are considered a giant breed.

Good Heavens. You aren't kidding that's a big breed. I've never heard of them. The Great Dane is the largest domesticated dog breed I know of....big, but nowhere near that size.

Yes, I agree.....if you're going to carry two or more of those, the GLK may not cut it. I can understand your looking at full-size Tahoes/Suburbans, etc.....
Old 09-20-10, 01:46 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good Heavens. You aren't kidding that's a big breed. I've never heard of them. The Great Dane is the largest domesticated dog breed I know of....big, but nowhere near that size.

Yes, I agree.....if you're going to carry two or more of those, the GLK may not cut it. I can understand your looking at full-size Tahoes/Suburbans, etc.....
They are not as tall as a great dane, but they are much heavier. Great danes average about 30-34" for dogs and leonbergers average about 29-32", but can weigh up to 200lbs in some of the bigger dogs.

Actually , not many people would have heard of them due to their rarity. After World War I, only five Leonbergers remained. When the World Wars ended, the eight surviving dogs were bred with one another, resulting in 22 puppies. It took 25 years for the Leo to recover. In 1971 the first Leonberger was brought to the United States. And they are still very scarce and it will usually take you 2-3 years on a waiting list to get one.
Old 09-20-10, 01:55 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW thats a BIG DOG!!!!!.......call him tiny just for kicks , but u should seriously look into the nissan patrol since your in japan im sure you can get a good deal on them there, or if you can look into QX65, the new ones are realy good and everyone I know that has one swears by it, I actually have a acouple of friends that traded in there LX570's for them..........maybe with those dogs the only thing that will work is a double decker bus :P
Old 09-21-10, 04:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

The new QX56 may work, I've been looking at this (new style-you'll love or hate), GX460 (too small for those dogs) or Escalade as DD.... in US, Escalades are at discount, GX a few bucks off list, QX at full sticker as they last about a week on the lot
Old 09-21-10, 07:53 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously? Want to buy an Escalade ONLY to haul the dogs around? Wow!
Old 09-21-10, 08:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Seriously? Want to buy an Escalade ONLY to haul the dogs around? Wow!
LOL, thats kind of what I was thinking!

If you can afford an Escalade to haul dogs around, life must be good!
Old 09-21-10, 10:38 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Mercedes GL, great big SUV with electric folding seats and other fun gizmos. Look at the Lincoln Navigator too, my parents buisness partner has one and its a bit more "bling" with that great big grill. If you want to make a statement you cant go wrong with the Escalade or the Navigator.
Old 09-21-10, 10:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

A used Ford Excursion can be had cheap in excellent condition. right within your pricerange for a later model. Cheaper if you go MY02-04. But good luck finding one in japan...or parking it for that matter.
Old 09-21-10, 10:55 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, thats kind of what I was thinking!

If you can afford an Escalade to haul dogs around, life must be good!
Its a discount if he can't get the LFA

But those are some huge dogs. I can understand why you are looking at full-size SUVs to haul them around.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Escalade, looking for a SUV, Maybe...