Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Yes, todays market is horrible for hybrids
13.16%
No, I disagree its other factors/hybrids are doing fine
55.26%
I hate hybrids, burn them all
10.53%
I hate hybrids, I hate 1SICKLEX, he has hybrids=HATE HATE HATE HATE
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Ford VP: "You can't sell a hybrid in today's market"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 12:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I honestly don't think the average hybrid driver takes the time to calculate the longterm cost-savings. It's more of a "I hate today's gas prices so I'm getting a hydrid" mentality. It's kind of like a getting even with the gas companies, which I admit sounds tempting when prices skyrocket.

So right now, it makes sense sales are down. I don't doubt for a moment gas prices will rise again and we'll see a spike in hybrid sales. Recall the last few years, when prices were crazy, people could not buy hybrids fast enough and manufacturers were scrambling to bring them to the market.
Old 09-21-10, 04:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I honestly don't think the average hybrid driver takes the time to calculate the longterm cost-savings. It's more of a "I hate today's gas prices so I'm getting a hydrid" mentality. It's kind of like a getting even with the gas companies, which I admit sounds tempting when prices skyrocket.
Actually, I really like that attitude. Screw you big oil, I'm getting a hybrid. But that is how I feel about it do a degree. It may cost us more to buy hybrids, but if we can reduce our consumption, while reducing dependence on foreign oil imports then there is more to it that making one's money back.
Old 09-21-10, 09:38 AM
LexFather

I will eventually post rebuttals!

Old 09-21-10, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Actually, I really like that attitude. Screw you big oil, I'm getting a hybrid. But that is how I feel about it do a degree. It may cost us more to buy hybrids, but if we can reduce our consumption, while reducing dependence on foreign oil imports then there is more to it that making one's money back.
We can also save oil by simply driving the cars we HAVE a little less. And, that, of course, means you won't have to buy a hybrid to start with.
Old 09-21-10, 11:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree marshall. I use to run errands 5 days a week, but I've I've condensed it down to 2 days. Saved me a bundle from all the stop and go traffic. Plus I commute mostly with my bicycle nowadays so my car rarely gets driven anymore. I can last a whole month with $20 on my nice V8 . Take THAT oil companies!
Old 09-21-10, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I agree marshall. I use to run errands 5 days a week, but I've I've condensed it down to 2 days. Saved me a bundle from all the stop and go traffic. Plus I commute mostly with my bicycle nowadays so my car rarely gets driven anymore. I can last a whole month with $20 on my nice V8 . Take THAT oil companies!
Yeah. Even with my daily shopping, errands, trips to my brother's house, a 30-mile round-trip to my church, an occasional longer trip, and, of course, frequent trips to do car reviews in my area, I still do fewer miles than the average American driver.

But as far as simply saying "Take That" to oil companies by driving fewer miles, it must be remembered that some oil companies are corporate conglomerates that include a lot more than just oil/gas exploration and sales. They often own (or are allied with) other companies that branch off into other industries. And many of the plastic items you buy and use everyday are made from petroleum as well.

Also, remember one more thing about driving fewer miles. That's fine if you get the engine warm each time (and will probably save gas), but constant short-distance stop/go trips, especially in cold weather, don't allow the engine to get and stay warm. That not results in fewer average MPG (because the fuel-injectors are running rich most of the time during warm-up). but can also deteriorate the oil quicker....so you can end up using more oil, not only by lower gas mileage, but by more-frequent oil changes. The ideal way to save fuel, in this manner, is to drive fewer miles, but make sure that the engine regularly gets warm....even if it means a few miles extra out of the way to do so. And (back for a moment to the OT of hybrids) this can be a problem with SOME hybrids, because some of them run for a distance on the electrics alone, delaying the onset of gas-engine warm-up. Others force the gas engine to warm-up first, and then cut in with the electrics or cut the gas engine off at stops.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-10 at 11:29 AM.