Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lotus Elite

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 12:26 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what an utter rapeage of the Lotus brand. As in, did anyone at the company remember what brand they were working for? Like years and years of history just didn't even matter. This is an utter MASSACRE of the Lotus name and I think it is RIDICULOUS and frankly SPINELESS for Lotus to even THINK of putting a two-ton grand tourer on the drawing board.

That said, I WANT ONE... just not under the Lotus name. It makes me very upset Lotus couldn't find a way to go mainstream without resorting to a two ton grand tourer SL fighter. You can be an Aston Martin/Ferrari fighter and stay true to your sporting, weight-is-everything history so, so easily and this car could NOT be further away from that. Too bad by the time it reaches production it'll lose the big wheels, fancy door handles and door mirrors and headlamps that make it exciting. Under all the tinsel lives a fairly basic design. Not to mention, it's got all the usual sport car swoops and fast lines but it does NOT look like a Lotus AT ALL. It could literally pass for any car, even a cool Kia concept. It is exciting but it is GENERIC.

People are all hung out about that crazy Lexus engine. This car should be just that; a LEXUS. Hard top convertible? Hybrid power train? Back seats? This should be an SC. And no car that fits the bill of an SC should EVER be called a Lotus, quite frankly. Lotuses are about weight, handling precision and, oh yeah, weight. This is just... I can't even.

Last edited by knihc2008; 09-20-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 01:20 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front and side views of the car scream of Aston Martin and Ferrari which is probably why I like the design.

I agree it doesn't look like a typical Lotus, but I don't see a problem with it. It's simply another car to add to their fleet. One anomalous car (in terms of weight/handling/concept) does not necessarily portend an overall change in Lotus's original philosophy of lightweight extremely good handling track cars.
Old 09-20-10, 03:26 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is something generic about it, I can't put finger on it but same thing like with new McLaren MP4. It looks good but nothing special.

I swear to god I got the RX8 vibe from front and Mazda Shinari (Shanari?) concept from the side.

Anyway I will be a skeptic about this one since Lotus is known for vaporware in the past. If they bring this car with all the technology they stated in PR for the said price I will be amazed and surprised at the same time.
Old 09-20-10, 03:48 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to save til 2014!
Old 09-20-10, 03:50 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

3700lbs including retractable hardtop, hybrid system, and KERS?

Can we have a version without the above and several hundred pounds weight reduction, pretty please?

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Wow what an utter rapeage of the Lotus brand...

... That said, I WANT ONE...

... This car should be just that; a LEXUS. Hard top convertible? Hybrid power train? Back seats? This should be an SC. And no car that fits the bill of an SC should EVER be called a Lotus, quite frankly. Lotuses are about weight, handling precision and, oh yeah, weight. This is just... I can't even.
Yep, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Easy solution: Toyota should buy Lotus. Merging of certain products into other marques optional. Problem solved.
Old 09-20-10, 05:08 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Beautiful. I can't help but think that this is what the NSX should have been and looked like.

Kudos to Lotus...now hand that 5.0L back to the people that supplied it, and let them drop it in the GSF. kthxbye.
This.

Originally Posted by Och
Very nice, but whats up with the name "Elite"???

I actually read the thread title several times, before I realized it reads Elite, not Elise. I was saying to myself, a 3700lb 600hp Elise that looks nothing like Elise, wth?

They should call it Esprit!
An Esprit has no business weighing 3700lbs.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Wow, I was not expecting to see that. That doesnt even look like a Lotus. And 3700lbs with a heavy retractable glass roof is far from what we have seen from Lotus. Not exactly sure how I feel about Lotus going after this market yet, but I really love the design.
As I've said before, I don't mind Lotus going after this market to ensure it's survival and growth, as long as cars like the Elise and Exige don't get perverted and the Future Esprit stays true to the "Add lightness and simplify" school of thought.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
People are all hung out about that crazy Lexus engine. This car should be just that; a LEXUS. Hard top convertible? Hybrid power train? Back seats? This should be an SC. And no car that fits the bill of an SC should EVER be called a Lotus, quite frankly. Lotuses are about weight, handling precision and, oh yeah, weight. This is just... I can't even.
Unbunch the panties. While I share your point of view somewhat, I'd rather have a lotus that has this type of car in their lineup, than no lotus at all. They NEED to grow to survive. This isn't say Porsche (who had no business building the Cayenne) who are the most profitable automaker out there (yes above Lexus).

And Yes, I wish the Next SC could be basically this (sans KERS for me please).

Originally Posted by gengar
Toyota should buy Lotus. Merging of certain products into other marques optional. Problem solved.
A million times this.
Old 09-20-10, 07:19 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should have been the GS F. Thumbs up for lotus.
Old 09-20-10, 07:30 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

idie

*drools*

This is a bang for your buck supercar.

I got 4 years to save

Top speed... max's out at 195 mph though.

7-Speed DSG booyah. Plus the Evora S is suppose to have paddle shifters, wickedness.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-20-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 07:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, serious fun.
Old 09-20-10, 08:06 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Wow, I was not expecting to see that. That doesnt even look like a Lotus. And 3700lbs with a heavy retractable glass roof is far from what we have seen from Lotus. Not exactly sure how I feel about Lotus going after this market yet, but I really love the design.

SO I assume this is one of Toyota's new "custom" engines for Lotus. A Supercharged IS F V8 sounds awesome! Chances of seeing it in a Lexus vehicle? IMO doubtful, but anything can happen!
The part in bold was what I thought first as well. The Elise and Esprit have iconic body styles. This one, sorry to say, may look nice, but to me it's bland and doesn't have that "Lotus Flare".
Old 09-20-10, 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

wow, I expected to see a revised cockroach style (my opinion of the exige), but this design is very clean

I was thinking 2014 is waay too far, but the timing might actually work out well

I agree with everyone regarding the GSF comment. Lexus is going to lose alot more sales if they don't get their act together.
Old 09-20-10, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
market with the 611-bhp, 3700-lb. Elite[/b]
A 3700-lb Lotus? With a big V8 for a powerplant? Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave. His passion, of course, was always as small and light as possible. You remember my funny (but true) story pretzeling in and out of the Munchkin 2007 Elise when reviewing it, don't you? .

Yes, with over 600 HP (and who knows how much torque), 3700 lbs. isn't much, but even without a formal test-drive to verify it, I have doubts that this car is going to drive like a classic Lotus.
Old 09-20-10, 10:36 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, with over 600 HP (and who knows how much torque), 3700 lbs. isn't much, but even without a formal test-drive to verify it, I have doubts that this car is going to drive like a classic Lotus.
Well it being front engined verifies your statement.
Old 09-20-10, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

now who's copying.

Old 09-20-10, 11:04 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A 3700-lb Lotus? With a big V8 for a powerplant? Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave.
Mike, you totally beat me to quoting this! Yeah, Colin Chapman is rolling over several times.

BUT, I guess this is what might help the brand and company survive. I'm kinda thinking this "Elite" is to Lotus, what "Cayenne" is to Porsche. Actually, come to think of it, if they did make a 4-door, front-engine Lotus, with the 3.5L supercharged Toyota engine and kept the weight somewhat down, it could very well sell like hotcakes. Who knows...

Quick Reply: 2014 Lotus Elite