Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus switch audio providers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 03:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
B & O has always been about "style and form" over "function and sound".

The gimmiky pop-up tweeters. Even going back to their CD player with the glass doors that opened with a wave of your hand. It's neat and it makes the ladies moist, but it doesn't make it SOUND any better.

so that's the cd player always featured in Nip/Tuck ?
didn't know it was a BO
Old 09-20-10, 03:46 PM
LexFather

The entire industry should be thankful for Lexus for all these premium sound systems. Nakamichi anyone? Back in the 1990s it was easily recognized as the best stock system.

Today everyone boasts of optional ultra sound systems. I believe one in the new Jag XJ has 1500 watts or so and the new A8 has a BO that is a 6k option.

What I didn't like to see was Lexus dumbing down their factory systems where you pretty much have to get ML.

I like the point of having different ML options, good idea. ML Elite sounds good. I also agree some ML systems in Lexus are better than others. It seems the ML engineers help in the interior process to produce better sound, instead of just adding speakers later on.

Old 09-20-10, 04:17 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Added two JLaudio 10' sub with and amp to go along with the stock ML system in my LS430 and let me tell you people wont beleive its all stock other than the sub. The ML is by far the best sounding factory system i have ever heard. I installed a similar setup in my neighbor's 08 M35 and it cant even come close to how the ML sounds in my car. Even if there were no subs added in our vehicles, the ML would still sound better. Stick with ML and what is working for the company. All other manufactuers are changing brand to catch up with the system in Lexus cars imo.
Old 09-20-10, 05:54 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ML in my 2IS and I'm happy with it. For a stock system, it's really good IMO.

Are the ML systems just Pioneer components with a ML logo on them?? I installed an OEM XM receiver, and that thing clearly said Pioneer on it.
Old 09-20-10, 07:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I have ML in my 2IS and I'm happy with it. For a stock system, it's really good IMO.

Are the ML systems just Pioneer components with a ML logo on them?? I installed an OEM XM receiver, and that thing clearly said Pioneer on it.
Toyota/Lexus use various OEMs, ML is part of Harman International (Harman Kardon, JBL, Lexicon, etc). They are also using Panasonic for base systems in many Toyotas.

sick, if anything, now a lot of Lexuses have two Lexus options + ML, i think that having 3 audio setups is fine.
Old 09-20-10, 07:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just throwing this name out there. I would like to see a high end luxury car manufacturer partner up with Meridian Audio. That would be one hell of a digital audio (Maybe even video) system and probably very expensive as well.
Old 09-20-10, 11:26 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the LX and the LS so far have the best sounding ML systems. All other Lexus cars have dumbed down versions of ML.
Old 09-20-10, 11:54 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What's wrong with Mark Levinson? It is a very high quality audio system, where would Lexus go? Have you even heard it especially on the LS-Series it is superb to anything I have heard. I just wish it was more readily available, i've been looking at some used Lexus for my first Lexus and they seem to be very rare in the IS and RX models, however on the first gen GX , LS, ES, GS they can be found easily.
Old 09-21-10, 12:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Haven't heard of too many negatives with ML over the years. Not sure why Lexus would need to dump it. I think just because B&O is the latest thing for Audi, that's what we keep reading about. And good words are always come along in the beginning. It's just whoever has the latest brand, that's what we hear most about.
Old 09-21-10, 06:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The entire industry should be thankful for Lexus for all these premium sound systems. Nakamichi anyone? Back in the 1990s it was easily recognized as the best stock system.

Today everyone boasts of optional ultra sound systems. I believe one in the new Jag XJ has 1500 watts or so and the new A8 has a BO that is a 6k option.

What I didn't like to see was Lexus dumbing down their factory systems where you pretty much have to get ML.

I like the point of having different ML options, good idea. ML Elite sounds good. I also agree some ML systems in Lexus are better than others. It seems the ML engineers help in the interior process to produce better sound, instead of just adding speakers later on.
I would love too see them use Nakamichi as their standard audio and kick up the ML a notch.
Old 09-21-10, 06:53 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, lets use something less then the best OEM system on the market!

Koz
Old 09-21-10, 07:50 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527

I too, have the ML system in my 3GS and I think it sounds fantastic for a factory system. As long as it's not Bose crap, I'm happy. I hate Bose almost as much as I hate Monster
Old 09-21-10, 09:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

We need Percy in here to give his input on the ML

It's very good for an upgraded stock system. I love it in my GX and LS
Of course, a lot of people complain the bass is weak, but that was lexus intention.

I find the insulation of lexus to be superb (of course as expected) and when I get into my toyota sienna, you can hear the damn radio even on the low settings
Old 09-21-10, 10:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have premium audio on my M3 and it's crap. Lexus stock system sounds better.
Old 09-21-10, 10:54 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Just throwing this name out there. I would like to see a high end luxury car manufacturer partner up with Meridian Audio. That would be one hell of a digital audio (Maybe even video) system and probably very expensive as well.
Na... If you want the best in digital, go with Theta.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus switch audio providers?