Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WOW!! Just found out something crazy about my IS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 02:39 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and

"I don't remember if it was CPO or not"

obviously won't fly in court...
Old 09-22-10, 06:58 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just talk to my lawyer and see what they would say... worth a try
Old 09-22-10, 07:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well, first you will have to find what's "illegal" about it. like others said, if the car is CPO, then it's probably a problem coz' i believe for a car to be CPO, it can't be in any accident (maybe over certain $ amount). otherwise if it's not CPO, then it's just another normal used car, nothing different from the ones you see at independent dealer lot or private parties.

i don't think at the time of purchase the dealership has to disclose prior history to the car. it's up to you to ask. if you asked them, and they said the car has absolutely no accident what-so-ever (and got it on writing), then you might have a case

of course, using lawyer will help, like marshall said they want their reputation. but to be very honest, there are assumptions you made that are just not right
Toyota will not Certify a vehicle that has had 2 or 3 body panels(I don't remember which) replaced.
At least this is what I was told when I traded in my '07 Camry XLE that had an encounter with a deer.
I'm surprised a Lexus dealer would sell that IS rather than wholesale it.The dealer took it in cheap because of the damage and made a big profit with the sale.
The OP should have gotten a Carfax.Not 100% accurate but worth it.
Old 09-22-10, 07:21 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

they gave me the full carfax and the vehicle was NOT sold as is. and of course they told me it was never in an accident. But like what others told me, I need to have that in writing...?
Old 09-22-10, 07:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised no one has asked the obvious questions.

Was this some 'deal of a lifetime' you thought you had? How much did you pay for the car?

Any particular reason you were at a body shop for a 3 month old 07 model car?
Old 09-22-10, 07:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GFM2Fitty
they gave me the full carfax and the vehicle was NOT sold as is. and of course they told me it was never in an accident. But like what others told me, I need to have that in writing...?

Well,with a side hit like that according to your description of the issues,the side airbags should have went off and if so,there should be a record of that happening on a carfax or somewhere.
My son's '08 Civic was hit on the passenger side and the airbags went off.The Carfax showed that and the value of a car drops dramatically with airbag deployment.
I know because I was going to trade that Civic in and found the trade in value took a big hit and we decided to keep it and let him run it into the ground.
Old 09-22-10, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Agreed. I'm not gonna even waste my time going back to the dealer *****ing. I know they'll try their best to get out of it...Gonna go search for a good lawyer.
thanks man. I'll come back with an IS-F HAHAHA jk...
of course YOU bear no responsibility in this, right?

caveat emptor (http://lmgtfy.com?q=caveat+emptor)

well, first you will have to find what's "illegal" about it. like others said, if the car is CPO, then it's probably a problem coz' i believe for a car to be CPO, it can't be in any accident (maybe over certain $ amount).
CPO really does guarantee it hasn't been in an accident? i rather doubt it!

i don't think at the time of purchase the dealership has to disclose prior history to the car. it's up to you to ask. if you asked them, and they said the car has absolutely no accident what-so-ever (and got it on writing), then you might have a case

of course, using lawyer will help, like marshall said they want their reputation. but to be very honest, there are assumptions you made that are just not right
+1

carfax doesn't mean diddly. it only means an insurance claim wasn't filed or other record of it. maybe the car was vandalized and taken to a body shop, paid, and sold.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Surprised no one has asked the obvious questions.

Was this some 'deal of a lifetime' you thought you had? How much did you pay for the car?

Any particular reason you were at a body shop for a 3 month old 07 model car?
Old 09-22-10, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

took a look at the CPO info and it only says they do a carfax as far as accidents go, but does not guarantee it hasn't been in an accident. of course the 'meticulous inspection' should find the problems op has!!

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/index.html
Old 09-22-10, 08:26 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say contact Carfax as well...they have advertised that if the car has any accidents that's not on the carfax, they will reimburse you. something along those lines, i believe.

edit: looks like it is for cars which have a "branded title"

http://www.carfax.com/guarantee/buyback_pop.cfm

Last edited by baddis es; 09-22-10 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 08:35 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t see where the OP has a case from what I read so far.

You have to do your own due diligence, you cannot expect anyone to do it for you or feel entitled to something because of your lack of research.

Unless you can prove they specifically deceived you, you own this one. Next time drive the car to a body shop and flip the guy $20 before you make a purchase, yeah its that easy.

This could be a case where you’re searching for a car and stumble across an “amazing deal” listed at 4-5k less then every other one you looked at and jumped on it. Come to find out it was marked down for a reason………
Old 09-22-10, 08:47 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I remember when shopping for my mom's replacement car last July...

I was surprised at how many cars on a dealership lot have been in an accident (not just repaints, replaced panels and the whole gamut)--but still have a clean Carfax. Of course the dealer will mention that the car has a clean Carfax...
Old 09-22-10, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I remember when shopping for my mom's replacement car last July...

I was surprised at how many cars on a dealership lot have been in an accident (not just repaints, replaced panels and the whole gamut)--but still have a clean Carfax. Of course the dealer will mention that the car has a clean Carfax...
well, indeed the carfax is clean right? carfax is complete garbage anyway. 2 of my previous cars were hit by someone before, carfax never showed anything. to me if carfax says anything, don't get it for sure. if it's clean, it doesn't tell me anything
Old 09-22-10, 09:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

If they didn't tell you that the warranty was now 3 years or 100k miles it wasn't a certified car.
Old 09-22-10, 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

carfax is complete garbage anyway. 2 of my previous cars were hit by someone before, carfax never showed anything. to me if carfax says anything, don't get it for sure. if it's clean, it doesn't tell me anything
qft
Old 09-22-10, 10:42 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

I bought this damn junk for 24,000. So no I didn't even buy it for cheap. If I got it for cheap I'll jus suck it up and drive it. Yea I see my few mistakes but I really trusted the dealer since its lexus. I thought they need to do a full inspection of the car before it gets put on the lot..but I'm wrong I guess. There's no way I'm gonna let this slip away.. oh and the car's record shows that it has 150 point inspection done? Will that help?

Quick Reply: WOW!! Just found out something crazy about my IS...