Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WOW!! Just found out something crazy about my IS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFM2Fitty
I bought this damn junk for 24,000. So no I didn't even buy it for cheap. If I got it for cheap I'll jus suck it up and drive it. Yea I see my few mistakes but I really trusted the dealer since its lexus. I thought they need to do a full inspection of the car before it gets put on the lot..but I'm wrong I guess. There's no way I'm gonna let this slip away.. oh and the car's record shows that it has 150 point inspection done? Will that help?
Your only "Case" if you provide documentation that you asked was the car free from any damage and they agreed that it wasn't. Otherwise CPO cars many times are in accidents but deemed not substantial enough to negate car value or the performance of the vehicle.

CarFax and Autocheck can miss things. When we bought my wifes RXh CPO the dealer and I called the previous owner so we could find out as much as we could about the vehicle.

Your best bet is likely talk to the dealer and explain you bought a car involved in an accident and you would like some free service and/or possible switch to a different vehicle. It won't be worth your time or money in court.

Old 09-22-10, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I bought this damn junk for 24,000. So no I didn't even buy it for cheap. If I got it for cheap I'll jus suck it up and drive it. Yea I see my few mistakes but I really trusted the dealer since its lexus. I thought they need to do a full inspection of the car before it gets put on the lot..but I'm wrong I guess. There's no way I'm gonna let this slip away.. oh and the car's record shows that it has 150 point inspection done? Will that help?
again, very up front, i feel for you. i would not be happy too.

but with that said, i am not surprised if the dealership did inspect the car before putting it on the lot. bottom line is there is no law / rule saying that a dealership can't sell cars that have been in accidents before. absolutely no regulation on that. to be honest, that's probably why this car is NOT certified (3 extra yr or 100k miles warranty), because it doesn't pass the collision requirement for CPO. how many point inspection doesn't mean anything, if it's not CPO...
Old 09-22-10, 11:17 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
again, very up front, i feel for you. i would not be happy too.

but with that said, i am not surprised if the dealership did inspect the car before putting it on the lot. bottom line is there is no law / rule saying that a dealership can't sell cars that have been in accidents before. absolutely no regulation on that. to be honest, that's probably why this car is NOT certified (3 extra yr or 100k miles warranty), because it doesn't pass the collision requirement for CPO. how many point inspection doesn't mean anything, if it's not CPO...

What he said. And the fact that you didn't know if it was CPO or not from your earlier post likely means you weren't properly educated on how to buy a used car. Regardless if it's Lexus or Hyundai, its your money you're spending and it's on you to get the best value for your bucks. You bear a large portion of the responsibility here unless you have something in writing from the dealer saying the car has been misrepresented.

I'm still curious to know how you ended up at a body shop 3 months after purchase? Was the car not running properly?

This is a pretty hard description for a car you just spent your money on.

Technician showed me my whole driver side of the car has been repainted(noticed the ****ty paint job), most of the body clips were missing, gas tank was bent, and when they took the rear wheels off there were BIG ripped holes on the wheel wall. Looked like wheels were rubbing against it somehow?? very obvious fact that this car was hit pretty hard

Last edited by oohpapi44; 09-22-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 12:08 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't at a body shop. I was at a performance shop to get my drop springs installed and no I didn't get them installed after the tech and I found out about it. I guess the first thing is to search for that paper says "wasn't damaged"
Old 09-22-10, 12:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 816 Likes on 570 Posts

Not to pile on, but if the paint job was that bad, how come you didn't notice until someone pointed it out?
Old 09-22-10, 12:38 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

okay so here's my mistake. I'm a car lover and been through lotta cars. With that said, I know how to tell if it's been repainted or not. BUT! at the time when I was purchasing the car, I noticed all these "nice" stickers on the windows saying one owner, carfaxed, all inspections done, full bumper to bumper warranty etc. So I like the car and just took a quick look around the car and didn't find anything. The paint is not THAT horrible and noticeable to normal ppl's eyes but with our eyes, we can definitely tell it has been repainted...so here's the conclusion...I'm a dumbass trusting the dealership and again...I never knew actual Lexus dealers would do something horrible like this. I always thought those ghetto/private dealers would do things like this...sigh...well I learned my lesson but I'm definitely gonna go back to that ghetto Lexus dealer (cerritos eh hem!) and give them few s h i t's in front of all customers.
Old 09-22-10, 12:57 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

okay so here's my mistake. I'm a car lover and been through lotta cars. With that said, I know how to tell if it's been repainted or not. BUT! at the time when I was purchasing the car, I noticed all these "nice" stickers on the windows saying one owner, carfaxed, all inspections done, full bumper to bumper warranty etc. So I like the car and just took a quick look around the car and didn't find anything. The paint is not THAT horrible and noticeable to normal ppl's eyes but with our eyes, we can definitely tell it has been repainted...so here's the conclusion...I'm a dumbass trusting the dealership and again...I never knew actual Lexus dealers would do something horrible like this. I always thought those ghetto/private dealers would do things like this...sigh...well I learned my lesson but I'm definitely gonna go back to that ghetto Lexus dealer (cerritos eh hem!) and give them few s h i t's in front of all customers.
lol, I can understand your frustrations but if it turns out the dealer wasn't being shady, taking a different approach might net you better results.

Find your paperwork first and see how the car was being presented at the time of sale (accident free)

If there's no evidence to the contrary, like others have mentioned, the dealer didn't try to rip you off as they had no obligation to disclose and aren't at fault. Talking (lol yes, just talking) to the owner might get you some satisfaction depending how you present your case. But I would suggest you confirm your standing before you go in as I don't see anything blatant to suggest you got ripped off. Taken advantage of in the process; probably, but not ripped off.

Good luck though and please keep us updated as there are some large chunks from the story missing.
Old 09-22-10, 03:38 PM
acheparev
Driver

He could argue that by saying "Carfaxed" the dealership implied it was accident free. If I saw that sticker, I would assume it's accident free.

He can also try and get his own Carfax and see if it truly is clean.
Old 09-22-10, 03:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
He could argue that by saying "Carfaxed" the dealership implied it was accident free. If I saw that sticker, I would assume it's accident free.

Implications and assumptions are not good defenses.

Just because I'm dating a girl who wears a rosary doesn't imply/assume that she's a virgin...
Old 09-22-10, 03:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev

dealership didn't imply anything, they stated a truth (as long as the report is really clean)

OP can take it up to carfax if anything, but that's probably a dead end
Old 09-22-10, 04:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, at this point you're better off just going to a good body shop, and getting a quote on getting the car properly repaired. Bring the quote to the dealership where you purchased the car, and see if they will agree to cover some of the cost as a goodwill gesture.

Your other option would be to hope that the car will set itself on fire, and let the insurance company buy it from you
Old 09-22-10, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO certification does make a big difference (legally) when this type of issue comes up.
Old 09-22-10, 05:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

just wanted to point out that several things have yet to be addressed:
-3 months is MORE than enough time for your car to be both damaged and repaired before you go back to the dealer. it is going to be hard to prove that the car was in that condition when YOU bought it.
-the dealership has to insure that the vehicle they sell is ROADWORTHY, this obviously means that a properly repaired vehicle (mechanically, not necessarily aesthetically) would clear their insurance woes.
Old 09-22-10, 05:30 PM
teeder27
Rookie

I'm pretty sure that a CPO Lexus can have been in minor accidents- a friend in Texas bought an F that when carfax was run, showed 2 minor front end accidents.

Another problem with carfax is that it takes awhile for the accident to be reported to carfax- A buddy of mine was sideswiped in his Murano in May, and to this day, it does not show on carfax- and it was an insurance claim.

I don't think that the OP has a case against Lexus at all- There's nothing illegal about selling a car that has been in an accident, and if the dealer ran a carfax and it didn't show, just means that the accident could have been more recent and has not been uploaded to the VIN number in carfax's database, or the damage was not repaired through an insurance company. Could have been a rental car- who knows- Rental agencies get most damage fixed on rentals without it showing up on carfax- how? I'm not 100% sure.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-10, 05:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

you need to talk to the dealer first and see what their response is... there is little chance that they didnt know about it.

so instead of writing here, go to the dealer and demand that they either take the car back or give you another car of similar value.

Quick Reply: WOW!! Just found out something crazy about my IS...