Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WOW!! Just found out something crazy about my IS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 05:39 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your opinions and concerns guys. I'll be taking off to that "lexus" dealer in few minutes. I'll let you guys know after.
Old 09-23-10, 12:21 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 621 Likes on 399 Posts

I think you should read my thread....

You're gonna like the outcome from my exact situation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...his-story.html
Old 09-23-10, 08:15 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 621 Likes on 399 Posts

Any update???
Old 09-24-10, 06:36 AM
CrystalGS3
Rookie

Hey sorry for asking this in the OP's thread. My car was purchased 2 years ago and they provided me an Autocheck record NOT Carfax. It showed up as clean. However, someone ran a Carfax report for me later on and it came up with an accident entry. Is that considered as a crime by the dealer? Is there something I can do about it?? Thanks so much!!
Old 09-24-10, 06:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalGS3
Hey sorry for asking this in the OP's thread. My car was purchased 2 years ago and they provided me an Autocheck record NOT Carfax. It showed up as clean. However, someone ran a Carfax report for me later on and it came up with an accident entry. Is that considered as a crime by the dealer? Is there something I can do about it?? Thanks so much!!
You've had the car 2 years, why even worry about it now?

But the simple answer is No. It's your responsibility to know what you're buying.

This is direct from the Carfax website:

Making the Smart Choice: Steps to Buying a Used Car

Car shoppers know that a new car depreciates by as much as 20-percent the moment it leaves the dealer's lot. Buying "pre-owned" can mean big savings because the first owner took that initial depreciation hit. That is why so many bargain hunters prefer used vehicles, but for some, buying a used car can feel like a bit of a gamble. Here are some steps you can take to help even the odds.

Do Your Homework - Check all available resources and data, including consumer reports and automotive magazines, about the car you are planning to buy.

Take a Look - Make sure the body parts line up, the paint matches, doors open and close easily and the tires show even wear.

Lift the Hood - Check under the hood for leaky hoses, worn belts, and dirty oil. Automatic transmission fluid should be clear and reddish, and not smell burned. Radiator water should have a light yellow or green color.

Take a Seat - Turn the ignition key to accessory and make sure all of the warning lights and gauges work. Start the car and check all lights and accessories and make sure no warning lights remain lit on the dashboard. Pay close attention to airbag warning lights.

Listen - Race the engine for a few quick bursts and listen for knocks, look for smoke and make sure the idle runs smooth.

Hit the Road - Take the vehicle up to 35-40 MPH. Make sure shifting is smooth and steering is straight. When braking, a pull to the left or the right could indicate a brake problem. The steering wheel should not shimmy at high speeds, and cornering should be smooth.

Check the Sources - Buying through the classifieds? Check the name on the title and match it to the name on the seller's driver's license. Many unlicensed, unregulated dealers are disguised as private sellers.

Go to a Pro - Always get a pre-purchase vehicle inspection from a qualified and trustworthy mechanic.

Look for Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles - Dealers will typically perform comprehensive inspections and provide a limited warranty in addition to any remaining on the original for Certified Pre-Owned cars.

Ask for a CARFAX Vehicle History Report - Most used car dealers should provide a vehicle history report. If the seller doesn't offer a vehicle history report, order one online.

Sign Up for CARFAX Hot Listings - Used car shoppers can receive free email updates and view listings based on specific search criteria. All CARFAX Hot Listings include a free CARFAX Vehicle History Report.
Because new vehicles lose so much of their value as soon as they're purchased, used cars are a smart financial alternative. Thanks to manufacturing and maintenance advances, they are better than ever and still a great value...just so long as you remember the old adage: "buyer beware."
Link
Old 09-24-10, 05:37 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

sorry for the late update guys. So yea...pretty much I got screwed LOL. Not much I can do now since I had the car for 3 months and the car wasn't Lexus certified. But I told them that I was never informed by them that car was repainted and wasn't happy with the purchase so they told me that they'll give me a full buffing service on my car...and yea...that's pretty much it lol. I so learned my lesson on buying used cars now sigh... so all in all, the car drives fine with no problems at least and paint looks fine unless you look at it from certain angle or distance lol. I'll just make the car look good with some new wheels,lipkit,drop and what not to make myself happy with the car...