Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

L.A. has 2nd-worst roads in nation, report shows

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default L.A. has 2nd-worst roads in nation, report shows

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_16145463?source=rss

man, so glad i don't go to LA that often anymore

Nearly two-thirds of the major roads in the Los Angeles area are in poor condition, earning the metro region the second-worst ranking in the nation, according to statistics released today by a national transportation research group.

Los Angeles roads were ranked the second-worst among the nation's regions with populations greater than 500,000, according to a report by TRIP, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit group, which analyzed government data from 2008.

Los Angeles also ranked second-worst for automobile operating costs due to poor roads, estimated at $746 annually. The dollar amount figures in repairs and maintenance, increased fuel consumption and tire wear.

The report listed 63 percent of Los Angeles' major thoroughfares as being in poor condition — more than twice the national average for large population areas of 24 percent. It also said only 5 percent of major streets were in good condition.

Six of the 10 worst regions in the report were in budget-strapped California. San Jose is the worst, with 64 percent of its major roadways in bad shape, according to the report.

Other areas with rough roads are Concord, San Francisco-Oakland, San Diego, the Coachella Valley between Indio and Palm Springs, according to TRIP.

The best roads in regions with populations greater than 500,000 are in Atlanta, where 84 percent are in good shape, according to the report.

Street conditions are likely to worsen in the near future because of state budget deficits, the completion of federal stimulus funding and the failure of Congress to advance a long-term federal program to improve roadways, the report concluded.

"Repairing rough urban roads could ease the burden on drivers and provide a smoother ride while creating jobs and boosting the economy," said Will Wilkins, the executive director of TRIP.
Old 09-22-10, 04:27 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been in LA for the first 17 years of my life and then San Diego for the latter 6, I have to say that San Diego roads are WAY WORSE HOLY MOSES

Last edited by knihc2008; 09-22-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 04:33 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

San Jose was ranked #1. I'm a bit surprised since I consider other parts of the bay area to have rougher roads than the few places I've gone to in San Jose.
Old 09-22-10, 04:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

san diego roads are unbearable. such a great view of the waters and so many attractions, and they cant fix the roads?! but i'll be seeing how bad san jose roads are really soon
Old 09-22-10, 04:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
San Jose was ranked #1. I'm a bit surprised since I consider other parts of the bay area to have rougher roads than the few places I've gone to in San Jose.
I tend to agree, but SJ is a huge and sprawling city so many roads in the city are unseen by me. SJ is fortunate the climate is moderate, otherwise the roads would be trashed.

Maybe the ranking is done of sheer number of miles (for cities over 500K people) and SJ does have a lot of miles of road.
Old 09-22-10, 05:00 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

SD roads are bad? I didn't notice that when I was there. I guess I was enjoying the view too much. I agree LA roads suck.
Old 09-22-10, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Having been in LA for the first 17 years of my life and then San Diego for the latter 6, I have to say that San Diego roads are WAY WORSE HOLY MOSES
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
san diego roads are unbearable. such a great view of the waters and so many attractions, and they cant fix the roads?! but i'll be seeing how bad san jose roads are really soon
ah, so i wasn't the only one. i always think roads in SD (certain parts) aren't that pleasant at all. i thought i was spoiled driving in OC

but when talking about LA, i guess it also depends on which part. some part is ok, but in a lot of areas, it's pretty painful
Old 09-22-10, 05:57 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Well duh... it's for all those "nice attractions" instead.
Old 09-22-10, 07:09 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
ah, so i wasn't the only one. i always think roads in SD (certain parts) aren't that pleasant at all. i thought i was spoiled driving in OC

but when talking about LA, i guess it also depends on which part. some part is ok, but in a lot of areas, it's pretty painful
True, but haha I haven't found a smooth road in San Diego ANYWHERE. There are only variations of bad.
Old 09-22-10, 07:23 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Interesting. Would have thought the worst roads would be in a snowy region. Salt and ice just wreak havoc on roads. If areas like LA and San Jose had to deal with winters like the northern and eastern parts of the country, the roads would be even worse than they are now.
Old 09-22-10, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Isn't part of the road problem in SoCal the result of unstable ground, geologic fault lines, and a lot of minor seismic activity (besides the bigger earthquakes, of course) that periodically shake the road beds and cause warps, humps, breaks in the pavement, and slight misalignment of bridges/overpasses? That's something that goes beyond simple budgets and paving/service crews. You can't stop nature.
Old 09-22-10, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by C. McHale
Interesting. Would have thought the worst roads would be in a snowy region. Salt and ice just wreak havoc on roads. If areas like LA and San Jose had to deal with winters like the northern and eastern parts of the country, the roads would be even worse than they are now.
Yep. Right on. You haven't seen bad roads until you've been to Michigan and Northern Ohio, in the very heart of the Great Lakes Snow Belt. Parts of adjoining states, such as Northern IN, Northern IL, Eastern WI, Western NY state, and Northern/Western PA are also in that belt that routinely sees ice-damaged roads. Downtown Washington, D.C. and NYC also have lousy roads, but that is from simple neglect and incompetent city governments as much as the weather.
Old 09-22-10, 07:36 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Here in Chicago we have little saying, we only have to seasons Winter or Road Construction. Chicago has the worst roads possible. No with Daley not running for election we might have some money go to the roads instead of his coffers.
Old 09-22-10, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Here in Chicago we have little saying, we only have to seasons Winter or Road Construction. Chicago has the worst roads possible. No with Daley not running for election we might have some money go to the roads instead of his coffers.
Your Chicago roads, like in Cleveland, get it from both sides.....Mother Nature and poor city government.
Old 09-22-10, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Street conditions are likely to worsen in the near future because of state budget deficits, the completion of federal stimulus funding and the failure of Congress to advance a long-term federal program to improve roadways, the report concluded.

"Repairing rough urban roads could ease the burden on drivers and provide a smoother ride while creating jobs and boosting the economy," said Will Wilkins, the executive director of TRIP.

Although most of the roads right around my house, in the local D.C. area, aren't too torn-up (except for the endless Beltway construction and in downtown D.C. itself), now some of you guys know why I sometimes b**ch about stiff suspensions and low-profile tires.

The best roads in regions with populations greater than 500,000 are in Atlanta, where 84 percent are in good shape, according to the report.
Mike, we envy you. Even the rock-hard IS-F and Mitsubishi Evo wouldn't be too bad in that area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-22-10 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: L.A. has 2nd-worst roads in nation, report shows