Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 07:09 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE] The rear seats are acceptable for adults, but the space would never be considered generous, as the backs of the front seats are not sculpted for rear passenger knees. (In truth, the 5 Series rear seating area only has about an inch in every dimension on the smaller 3 Series "E90" sedan.) We did find trouble installing a child booster in the back seat, as the thick outboard seat bolsters forced the plastic seat inward, covering the female end of the seatbelt buckle. [\QUOTE]

Sigh...riding on the 7 series chassis and the back seat is still as cramped as ever. I just don't get how hard it is to make it a bit more roomy.

Last edited by Stormwind; 09-24-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 08:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Too much technology, too much isolation, and bland styling.

as bland as a lexus
Old 09-24-10, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Styling is handsome and understated. Familar to other BMWs? Yes but I would not call it bland. The front is attention grabbing (love or hate) and it has a very athletic shape with the 19s and sport drop. I wouldn't call it bland.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
as bland as a lexus
Yup

Originally Posted by Stormwind

Sigh...riding on the 7 series chassis and the back seat is still as cramped as ever. I just don't get how hard it is to make it a bit more roomy.
I am 6"5, the rear is very spacious. More spacious than the new JAg XF, Infiniti M, Benz E-class, Lexus GS. The A6 comes close.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-10 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-24-10, 10:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Like how the new A4 and A8 look too alike, the 5 and the 7 are a bit too similar. I saw a new 5 and thought it was a 7. If the upcoming A6 looks too close to the 4 and 8, and the upcoming 3 looks like the 5 and 7, I think we are in the midst of a new troubling trend.
Old 09-24-10, 11:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valid observations (I looked at it carefully Tuesday night at BMW dealership), but this car could end up being the most successful 5 series in years as it is more focused than ever on target market. Technology, good isolation and tasteful conservative styling is demanded in this class and price range of sport sedans.
Old 09-24-10, 11:19 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Can't wait to see the M version.
+1 on that!
Old 09-25-10, 09:38 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. I love the 2011 BMWs models; albiet I'm somewhat disappointed in the fact that they are going back to the "all models should resemble each other" mentality.
Old 09-25-10, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Valid observations (I looked at it carefully Tuesday night at BMW dealership), but this car could end up being the most successful 5 series in years as it is more focused than ever on target market.
Did you test-drive one? It's hard to determine the real effect of isolation/comfort and chassis-engineering without an actual drive...despite all of the hype that is put into manufacturer sales-brochures and web-sites.

Technology, good isolation and tasteful conservative styling is demanded in this class and price range of sport sedans.
I agree...but many CL members seem to like aero-jelly-bean styling, humpback rooflines, etc..... and spurn conservative, tasteful styling. Look at the new Sonata, for instance. I am (probably) one of few on CL that clearly prefers the older model (the older model's body-panels and doors also seemed more solid).

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-25-10, 11:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you test-drive one? It's hard to determine the real effect of isolation/comfort and chassis-engineering without an actual drive...despite all of the hype that is put into manufacturer sales-brochures and web-sites.
I did not during that visit (I was there for other business), but I will later. Nobody emphasized the hype in brochures or websites in the review fortunately, which I agree are nothing but hype.

But the tester in this review actually did an extensive test drive for one week (not a casual 30 minute test drive with a salesperson in a urban/suburban environment), so I think he put in enough seat time to make some good observations, not to mention the extensive premium car experience and skill sets too. Therefore the tester could determine the real effect of isolation/comfort and chassis-engineering after a week of actual driving in a wide range of conditions/weather/roads/weather/altitude/traffic/speeds, etc.

(I won't be wasting time here going off topic on the successful new Sonata and holding on to the good ole days of the far less successful frumpy old model for people that weren't ever going to buy the car, lol).

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-25-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-25-10, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

But the tester in this review actually did an extensive test drive for one week (not a casual 30 minute test drive with a salesperson in a urban/suburban environment)

I often test-drive alone. I'm a responsible driver.....not someone who abuses new cars. People know it. The only time I actually ask for some help is on new models with complex electronic devices that I'm not used to, or have trouble figuring out.

(I won't be wasting time here going off topic on the successful new Sonata and holding on to the good ole days of the far less successful frumpy old model for people that weren't ever going to buy the car, lol).
By these very words, you just did.
Old 09-25-10, 07:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I often test-drive alone. I'm a responsible driver.....not someone who abuses new cars. People know it. The only time I actually ask for some help is on new models with complex electronic devices that I'm not used to, or have trouble figuring out.
That's great and I do the same. But that has nothing to do with the quality of this review and the extensive driving over 1 week by reviewer. Abusing the car in this review was not part of the program, driving this car over 100's of miles under a variety of conditions was. As I've said before complex electronics are best explained in the parking lot and not while driving due to dangerous nature of distractions.
Old 09-25-10, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Sorry but the M56 had way more complex annoying electronics than the 550. The M56 was beeping and beeping and the steering is light compared to the 550. To me the 550 is by far the benchmark, even bigger, less sporty and more complex.

If I want a REAL sports sedan, then I won't look at mid size luxury cars. They are all a compromise.