Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota says it will build small hybrid car in France

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Post Toyota says it will build small hybrid car in France

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...309249977/1193

Toyota Motor Corp. said today it will build a small hybrid car in France. The company did not give the name of the hybrid it will produce at its plant in Valenciennes, northern France, but media reports have said it will be a gasoline-electric hybrid version of the Yaris subcompact.

The small hybrid will be the second hybrid car built by Toyota in Europe after the Japanese automaker started production of the Auris hybrid compact hatchback in England last June.

Toyota said production of the small hybrid will start in 2012.

"This decision fits in Toyota's strategy to extend the full hybrid technology to an increasing number of models," the company said in a statement.

Since 2000, almost 300,000 Toyota and Lexus hybrid models have been sold in Europe and sales are climbing steadily, Toyota said.

Valenciennes has been the European production site for the Yaris since 2001. The factory has a production capacity of 270,000 vehicles a year.

The automaker will invest 53 million euros (about $71 million) to get the Valenciennes plant ready to make hybrids.

Toyota plans to launch several new hybrid models in Europe in the coming years. The company said it aims to have a hybrid version of all Toyota and Lexus models by the early 2020s.

Toyota rival Honda plans to unveil a hybrid version of its Jazz subcompact at the Paris auto show later this month.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz10VqoM3M8

Old 09-26-10, 02:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Hmmmm that must be the FT-HS. I guess we will find out later this week!
Old 09-26-10, 06:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hmmmm that must be the FT-HS. I guess we will find out later this week!
You mean FT-HC ?
Old 09-26-10, 06:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Yaris Hybrid based on new Yaris platform that is coming next year...
Old 09-26-10, 08:46 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

sacre bleu!
Old 09-27-10, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

France? i guess the high salaries and laughable working hours are slightly preferable to the egregious tariffs.
Old 09-27-10, 09:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting to make a hybrid iQ...
Old 09-27-10, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Toyota rival Honda plans to unveil a hybrid version of its Jazz subcompact at the Paris auto show later this month.
I hope Honda does a better job on this one than they did on the Insight. The Insight is well-built, with the typical Honda Swiss-Watch quality and precision, but its lumpy IMA drivetrain and Munchkin rear-seat room are both underpar. The CR-Z also shows some unrefinement in its IMA drivetrain, too.
Old 09-27-10, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
France? i guess the high salaries and laughable working hours are slightly preferable to the egregious tariffs.
Those Happy-Go-Lucky days in France for factory workers are coming to a close, Paul. France, like some other European countries, has had to deal, recently, with the increasingly harsh realities of the economic world. Even UAW workers here in the U.S. no longer make, on the average, what they did just a few years ago.

(In fact, I consider myself very lucky, in today's world, to have the pension and benefits I do, though I admittedly worked hard for them (and took very little time off) for many years).
Old 09-27-10, 10:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol...still cheaper than making an econo car in Japan with the yen where it is. Small cars make small profits so I guess building it where they will sell it is more financially profitable.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope Honda does a better job on this one than they did on the Insight. The Insight is well-built, with the typical Honda Swiss-Watch quality and precision, but its lumpy IMA drivetrain and Munchkin rear-seat room are both underpar. The CR-Z also shows some unrefinement in its IMA drivetrain, too.
The Jazz hybrid does use the same lackluster IMA system. They technically don't mean real Hybrids.

Old 09-27-10, 12:19 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It would be interesting to make a hybrid iQ...
I like this idea too. Here are some pics of the iQ along with the tC shown at the Irwindale speedway two weeks ago:

A hybrid iQ would be awesome. With its weigh, I can see mileage in the 60s.

[+]
Old 09-27-10, 03:42 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

5axis kit on that iQ is soooo slick.
Old 09-27-10, 03:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Almost anything from 5axis is generally slick .

They managed to make the 2nd-gen tC actually look good with their kit.
Old 09-28-10, 04:33 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those Happy-Go-Lucky days in France for factory workers are coming to a close, Paul. France, like some other European countries, has had to deal, recently, with the increasingly harsh realities of the economic world. Even UAW workers here in the U.S. no longer make, on the average, what they did just a few years ago.

(In fact, I consider myself very lucky, in today's world, to have the pension and benefits I do, though I admittedly worked hard for them (and took very little time off) for many years).
It's a bit of a myth that auto workers in France are all on high wages. The average French car worker earns two-thirds of his German counterpart and up to 40% of his colleagues will be temporary workers on salaries of around $1300 a month (correct me if I'm wrong but that's not a great wage in the US). Yes, they have a shorter working week but are actually pretty productive in the hours they do work.
Toyota are no fools, they could build in any one of the European countries and take advantage of lower labour costs elsewhere and tariff-free distribution, but it must make economic sense for them to build in that plant which has already been pretty successful while building the Yaris.
I've done some work for Renault-Nissan and the French are pretty hard taskmasters when it comes to controlling costs, looking for savings in production and re-engineering components to make them cheaper to produce.
Old 09-28-10, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's a bit of a myth that auto workers in France are all on high wages. The average French car worker earns two-thirds of his German counterpart and up to 40% of his colleagues will be temporary workers on salaries of around $1300 a month (correct me if I'm wrong but that's not a great wage in the US). Yes, they have a shorter working week but are actually pretty productive in the hours they do work.
Toyota are no fools, they could build in any one of the European countries and take advantage of lower labour costs elsewhere and tariff-free distribution, but it must make economic sense for them to build in that plant which has already been pretty successful while building the Yaris.
I've done some work for Renault-Nissan and the French are pretty hard taskmasters when it comes to controlling costs, looking for savings in production and re-engineering components to make them cheaper to produce.
i remember story about toyota exec from japan raging at french factory execs for being below par compared to uk and turkey, let alone rest of the world

Quick Reply: Toyota says it will build small hybrid car in France