Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 05:15 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car buying advice

looking at 2 s60r's but I am stuck on picking one.

One is red private owner he has all records and taken care of car. All services done at Volvo. Only problem is car had an accident at like 23 miles on auto check. This guy is the second owner. Auto check score of 90. My dad looked at the car as its in Fort Lauderdale with a mechanic and said car was clean. Car has 39k miles and is a 06. Guy said wont take less then trade in at 16k.

Second car is blue 06 same options at dealer has 42k one owner clean auto check no accidents and has a auto check score of 93 dealer has no records of car as its at a Hyundai dealer. Dealer wants 16800.

Both are out of warranty but I am buying an extended.

Which do you think is a better deal?

Last edited by lexmenow; 09-26-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 06:08 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Next car WILL be a LEXUS!!
Hmmm...

Now then, what year is the bloo car? Same options? Can you possibly get a VIN and check with Volvo on service records? I would think they could look it up for you just as Lexus can look up services done at the dealers in network for the cars by the VIN.

Big Mack
Old 09-26-10, 08:48 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Hmmm...

Now then, what year is the bloo car? Same options? Can you possibly get a VIN and check with Volvo on service records? I would think they could look it up for you just as Lexus can look up services done at the dealers in network for the cars by the VIN.

Big Mack
Hey this is for my wife she likes volvo

Yes blue is a 2006 and has same options. That's a good idea I have the vin and see the car was in st peters burg fl before it went to auction. I can see if there was a Volvo dealer in that area that may have records for the car.

So I guess your saying the non accident car is better.
Old 09-26-10, 10:30 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well since your planning on getting warranty, the first car is out the question. i think it would be very hard to find a way to get warranty on a car thats been in an accident
Old 09-26-10, 10:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Hey this is for my wife she likes volvo
Are we not tasked with teaching the ones we love the better way? LOL

Yes blue is a 2006 and has same options. That's a good idea I have the vin and see the car was in st peters burg fl before it went to auction. I can see if there was a Volvo dealer in that area that may have records for the car.
Thanks. Every once in a while I get some wood on the ball.

So I guess your saying the non accident car is better.
Where did I say this? I was needing more information. Now that we have a bit more, it's looking better, but I'd still like to know more about the maintenance. Even with an accident, having all the service records means the car was taken care of and probably not beat on.

Originally Posted by edgeucated
well since your planning on getting warranty, the first car is out the question. i think it would be very hard to find a way to get warranty on a car thats been in an accident
No, it is not. You can get warranties on a car that has been in an accident provided the repairs were done correctly and the car can pass inspection. How would having a fender bender affect the motor, brakes, A/C, tranny, etc? These things don't get damaged just because a fender or quarterpanel gets dinged by a bumper.

Big Mack
Old 09-27-10, 06:47 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Are we not tasked with teaching the ones we love the better way? LOL

Thanks. Every once in a while I get some wood on the ball.

Where did I say this? I was needing more information. Now that we have a bit more, it's looking better, but I'd still like to know more about the maintenance. Even with an accident, having all the service records means the car was taken care of and probably not beat on.

No, it is not. You can get warranties on a car that has been in an accident provided the repairs were done correctly and the car can pass inspection. How would having a fender bender affect the motor, brakes, A/C, tranny, etc? These things don't get damaged just because a fender or quarterpanel gets dinged by a bumper.

Big Mack
Hey thanks a lot great info. Just called on the blue volvo and service rep said it was well maintained and brought in for all services. I think we are going blue.

Last edited by lexmenow; 09-27-10 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't give you a complete recommendation without seeing and inspecting the car myself, but from what you have described, the blue '06 seems like a safer buy, even at some $800 more. I'm leery of almost any car that has been in a significant accident, even with good-quality repairs.
Old 09-27-10, 08:41 AM
LexFather

looking at 2 s60r's but I am stuck on picking one.

One is red private owner he has all records and taken care of car. All services done at Volvo. Only problem is car had an accident at like 23 miles on auto check. This guy is the second owner. Auto check score of 90. My dad looked at the car as its in Fort Lauderdale with a mechanic and said car was clean. Car has 39k miles and is a 06. Guy said wont take less then trade in at 16k.

Second car is blue 06 same options at dealer has 42k one owner clean auto check no accidents and has a auto check score of 93 dealer has no records of car as its at a Hyundai dealer. Dealer wants 16800.

Both are out of warranty but I am buying an extended.

Which do you think is a better deal?
I'd buy private. The S60R is one of those cars usually bought by the few people that "know" about them and take great care of them. It was like a 40-45k car new. Thus the car has all records.

I wouldn't buy any used car (and likely any car) from a Hyundai dealer who are notoriously among the most shady around. No one traded in a S60R for anything they have, sorry. It was likely bought at an auction where they hope to make a pretty penny off it. Then the Volvo at the Hyundai dealer has no service records. RUN RUN RUN!!!

Old 09-27-10, 09:22 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'd buy private. The S60R is one of those cars usually bought by the few people that "know" about them and take great care of them. It was like a 40-45k car new. Thus the car has all records.

I wouldn't buy any used car (and likely any car) from a Hyundai dealer who are notoriously among the most shady around. No one traded in a S60R for anything they have, sorry. It was likely bought at an auction where they hope to make a pretty penny off it. Then the Volvo at the Hyundai dealer has no service records. RUN RUN RUN!!!
I got info on the service records of the volvo and it has all records and was well taken car of per the volvo service rep. Yes the car was purchased at auction I just don't like that the red one was in an accident no matter how minor it will bite me if I decide to sell it. I am always thinking long term.