Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 08:21 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you plead "not guilty" at the first court date.. they gonna reschedule..

Pros: if the officer doesnt show up then your case will be dismissed. (very little chance cause he got you on radar)

Cons: if the officer shows up, its your words against his.. but he got the radar to back him up.. even if you said you were driving 70 or 75. you are still speeding and if you're found "guilty" you cant ask for traffic school.

My advices: show up, try to ask the judge to lower your fine, say that you were just trying to change lanes, and ask for traffic school to clear your point. take online traffic school (2hrs max) done!
Old 09-26-10, 08:23 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MyIS350G

My advices: show up, try to ask the judge to lower your fine, say that you were just trying to change lanes, and ask for traffic school to clear your point. take online traffic school (2hrs max) done!
Exactly. No points, no upped insurance rates, still a clean record. What you lose is money (they usually lower it BECAUSE you didn't not say "not guilty" and time (do it on your own time, it's functional 24 hrs).

Like I said, if you are guilty, you are guilty. I honestly was expecting to pay the full fine and not have any chance for school. I lucked out.

Last edited by Micaiah; 09-26-10 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 08:30 PM
holyking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

different county courts does little differently, just wait and save money ^^ i just pay my $410 ticket for going 82-65 zone. I was stupid that i told the chp that i drove 82 haha. anyway, i could fight that off.. because CHP didn't tell me the miranda warning.. so what i said to him can't against me in court
Old 09-26-10, 08:31 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

if you plead "not guilty" at the first court date.. they gonna reschedule..

Pros: if the officer doesnt show up then your case will be dismissed. (very little chance cause he got you on radar)

Cons: if the officer shows up, its your words against his.. but he got the radar to back him up.. even if you said you were driving 70 or 75. you are still speeding and if you're found "guilty" you cant ask for traffic school.

Maybe its best for me to take your advice? But the thing is I have my finals for school on the same time as my court appearance. =/
Old 09-26-10, 08:33 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Snubbles
Maybe its best for me to take your advice? But the thing is I have my finals for school on the same time as my court appearance. =/
You can call court to reschedule, im pretty sure they can do it, but you have to show up cause "failure to appear" is like another $300+
holyking
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snubbles
ouch >.< that not good ..
Micaiah

Originally Posted by holyking
different county courts does little differently, just wait and save money ^^ i just pay my $410 ticket for going 82-65 zone. I was stupid that i told the chp that i drove 82 haha. anyway, i could fight that off.. because CHP didn't tell me the miranda warning.. so what i said to him can't against me in court
Wow. You got arrested. That's crazy. You MUST have been doing something naughty
Old 09-26-10, 08:34 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

You can call court to reschedule, im pretty sure they can do it, but you have to show up cause "failure to appear" is like another $300+
You don't HAVE to show up right? just pay bail?
Old 09-26-10, 08:36 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

yeah you dont have to show up if you pay for the ticket and check on the traffic school box, but the reason why I said to show up is if you have a clean record you might be able to ask the judge to lower the fine.
Old 09-26-10, 08:37 PM
Micaiah

Yes it's a court order, you HAVE to show up or you pay the failure to appear fine of $300 plus he will be less forgiving on your original ticket.

You show up with the courtesy notice they send you (which has instructions) and then check the box and pay right then and there AT the court. Paying the fine at the court says you showed up.

If you send in the payment without requesting traffic school, that's like pleading guilty and it goes on your record.

By the way I just remembered, you can show up earlier! I was told that I have to show up on or before that date. Look at the ticket, above where you signed....Call them. For here, it was every other Monday and Tues - Friday, 8am. Just show up. When you turn your ticket in to the lady they pull up everyone's info on a printout and give it to the Judge. He will call your name.

Last edited by Micaiah; 09-26-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 08:37 PM
holyking
Rookie

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wow. You got arrested. That's crazy. You MUST have been doing something naughty
hey, i Should have my rights... u are a law enforcement doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

you can call the court.. they will tell you everything~! .. different city does little differently...My uncle got ticket in colusa, ca.. he can pay the fine + traffic school request fee by mail.
Old 09-26-10, 08:41 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Yes it's a court order, you HAVE to show up or you pay the failure to appear fine of $300 plus he will be less forgiving on your original ticket.

You show up and then check the box and pay right then and there AT the court. Paying the fine at the court says you showed up.
No you dont have to show up if you pay the fine before court date.

You going to get a nice looking orange paper in the mail soon. In that letter will have the fine amount, violation description, and court date.
Somewhere underneath that you should have a message something like if you want traffic school and have not been in traffic school for the last 18 months you can add in extra $30. Then mail it in or just go straight to the court cashier window and pay.
Old 09-26-10, 08:44 PM
Micaiah

No you dont have to show up if you pay the fine before court date.

You going to get a nice looking orange paper in the mail soon. In that letter will have the fine amount, violation description, and court date.
Somewhere underneath that you should have a message something like if you want traffic school and have not been in traffic school for the last 18 months you can add in extra $30. Then mail it in or just go straight to the court cashier window and pay.

Correct. I adjusted my post for more detail.

You and I must have got our tickets at the same time!!
Old 09-26-10, 08:46 PM
Micaiah

hey, i Should have my rights... u are a law enforcement doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

you can call the court.. they will tell you everything~! .. different city does little differently...My uncle got ticket in colusa, ca.. he can pay the fine + traffic school request fee by mail.
Your rights to have Miranda rights read to you are if you are taken into custody or detained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Miranda warning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The miranda warning (also referred to as Miranda rights) is a warning that is required to be given by police in the United States to criminal suspects in police custody (or in a custodial situation) before they are interrogated to inform them about their constitutional rights.

If not, then I should have fought mine too and gotten away with it.
Old 09-26-10, 08:48 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

That's completely false.

You have Miranda rights (that is, you have the right to remain silent, you have the right to an attorney)

But, the officer is not obligated to tell you that you have these rights. Just because he doesn't tell you doesn't mean what you said cannot be used to incriminate you in a court of law.

The only reason why officers tell potential criminals miranda rights is as a courtesy. They are not required to do so by law.

Whether or not you are told your miranda rights is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket