Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 08:52 PM
Deros
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to fight and plead not guilty ask a few question at the cop during your hearing:

1. When was the last time he certified on the particular radar gun? Who did the certification? Who keeps a copy of the certification? How often do you need to certify?
2. When was the radar gun last calibrated? Have he ever drop the gun by accident?
3. Have him demonstrate how is held the gun to take the reading?
4. Ask him if there was any other cars going faster than 65mph?

You might have to find the answer to some of the questions prior to the case.

1. Is there a certification?
2. Manufactures recommended calibration interval. Which would mean you would have to find out who manufacturers the radar gun for CHP. Also, would dropping it mess up the calibration.
3. From the manufacture find out what the proper way to hold the gun.
4. Unless it is one of the radar gun thats connected to a camera, suggest that he could have been aiming the gun at another car.

If you have access to a University Library that house local court cases on traffic violation, you might want to read up on some.

this is a lot of work, so it might be better to just plead guilty and pay the fine.

Good luck and slow down!
Old 09-26-10, 08:55 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nocontesttrafficschoolloweredfinenouppedinsurance.....
Old 09-26-10, 08:59 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah i guess i should say no contest since its my first ticket, another downside was i did not carry my insurance paper because its hot in davis... wearing basketball shorts carrying my license and credit card to do a quick target run. So now i have a fix-it ticket and a speeding ticket. I guess today is my lucky day.
Old 09-26-10, 09:02 PM
Micaiah

Just bring your proof of insurance with you when you plead no contest because that will be brought up too. I saw my judge just asking for proof and writing it off!
Old 09-26-10, 09:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snubbles
Thanks for all your input, so far not that much flaming. I guess by the looks of the responses i gotten, none of you ever won a speeding ticket?
i have, my neighbor was a traffic court judge in my youth (hes retired now and im older n wiser now)... its not what you know but who you know
Old 09-26-10, 09:33 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i guess i should say no contest since its my first ticket, another downside was i did not carry my insurance paper because its hot in davis... wearing basketball shorts carrying my license and credit card to do a quick target run. So now i have a fix-it ticket and a speeding ticket. I guess today is my lucky day.
Fix it or no proof of insurance? those two are diff.
If no proof of insurance then you def have to show up to court and show them that you have insurance.
As far as the advices about about asking cops about the calibrations and stuff... CHP are pretty smart. They will have all those records for you. at that point you have no other excuses... GUILTY is forsure.
Best way.. show proof of correction, pay fine, sign up online traffic school, done!

alternative: plead "not guilty" they gonna reschedule your court date. 2nd time show up.. the judge usually asked something like does anyone wanna change their plead.. if you see the officer that pulled you over there then just get up and change your plead, if you dont see him there then just sit tight and your case could be dismissed. (happen to me once, i was happy that i didnt see the officer there, but reality was.. when he pulled me over he had hair, during the court date he was bald)
Old 09-26-10, 09:39 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

llamaboiz - Must be easy for you if you ever gotten a ticket.. too bad hes retired

MyIS350G - I think its a fix-it ticket because on the ticket it says yes for correction.
Old 09-26-10, 09:43 PM
Micaiah

MyIS350G, He shaved?? OUCHIE!! Okay so how did it turn out?
Old 09-26-10, 09:43 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak for CA, but here in Washington State we have dedicated traffic lawyers that flat rate defending you for anywhere from $250 - $400. Success rate of getting the citation completely dropped is in the 90+ percentile range.

V
Old 09-26-10, 09:44 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to court and hope officer doesn't show. Except they get overtime to go, and their hours are being cut, so most go. Ask judge to reduce fine since it's your first ticket. Ask for traffic school and be on your merry way.
Old 09-26-10, 09:46 PM
Micaiah

^^^^...says the guy who was telling me to up the pace when I was already goin' 65...I swear that was a cop behind you, dangit.
Old 09-26-10, 09:50 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Okay so how did it turn out MyIS350G ?
guilty.. but the reason why i fought was because i cant take traffic school anyway cause i took one within that 18months.. so just gave it a try. the first thing the officer did was intro himself, then how his car is calibrated (because paced me) with paper proofs. I told the judge i was trying to exit but useless.. it was 80 on a 65. Sacramento/Norcal areas are pretty strict now people get pulled over for even doing 75 on a 65.
Old 09-26-10, 09:53 PM
Micaiah

It was worth a try. Bummer.

Dang. Can't imagine my license being suspended. I was truly lucky.
Old 09-26-10, 10:01 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

llamaboiz - Must be easy for you if you ever gotten a ticket.. too bad hes retired

MyIS350G - I think its a fix-it ticket because on the ticket it says yes for correction.
Proof of insurance is "correctable"
It should say on your ticket.
SHould be Speeding, then next if it say proof of insurance then yes you HAVE to show up to court and show your insurance
Old 09-26-10, 10:03 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
MyIS350G, He shaved?? OUCHIE!! Okay so how did it turn out?
Yup haha he was a normal Asian guy with short hair then when he went to court he was bald and hella dark... sux cause i was all looking around for and asian CHP, dont see any so i was happy. then when the judge called the officer name he got up.. bald, dark and dont even look Asian.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket