Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 10:10 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost got nailed leaving the Pizza and Wings Mini Meet on Friday. I was took the ramp going onto 880 N at about 60 MPH then jumped on the pedal. I was thinking I was doing 40 and needed to accelerate another 25 mph.

Then I saw the orange ring and I was doing 82 mph. I looked to my left and a cop was right on the shoulder. I panic'd and downshifted to engine break without slamming on my brake. I also didn't want him to catch my brake lights.

Our cars are too quiet... it's kind of hard to gauge the speed by feeling.
Old 09-26-10, 10:35 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
Our cars are too quiet... it's kind of hard to gauge the speed by feeling.
I totally agree
Old 09-26-10, 10:37 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Snubbles
I totally agree
I don't know about norcal, but most people in socal go about 80 in the fast lane when there's no traffic all the time, especially in San diego.

The chp usually go about 90+ everytime I see him zoom by.

So who's going to police the police

Last edited by Initial_K; 09-26-10 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 11:44 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

^ yeah thats why i dont feel that scared when i drive a little bit over 80 mph driving down to LA.
Old 09-26-10, 11:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Can't speak for CA, but here in Washington State we have dedicated traffic lawyers that flat rate defending you for anywhere from $250 - $400. Success rate of getting the citation completely dropped is in the 90+ percentile range.

V
In Bellevue years ago, deferred defined hearing was offered for lots of speeding violators (from perfect to constant offenders). Not sure if it is still being offered now or as much. Would be able to shave off more money than getting a lawyer to defend.

Last edited by Sango; 09-27-10 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-26-10, 11:59 PM
WillyD
Pole Position

damn same problem with me i wanted to see if i could hit 130 in my sc... its stock and next once i hit it i started to slow down and got clocked at 86 .....and check this is out this is a bad month for me i got speeding 45 on a 35 which wasnt bad and this was three weeks ago then two day ago i get clocked at 86 and just last night i freaking rear ended a guy so my whole bumper assembly needs to be changed.... fml talk about 1000 plus in fines and parts
Old 09-27-10, 01:13 AM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Thats one crazy story. One bad thing after another.
Old 09-27-10, 07:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traffic school is preferred, because even 1 ticket will impact insurance cost.

Going 82 and cutting over to fast lane is a great way to attract attention of cops.
Old 09-27-10, 07:40 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snubbles
*Mods, please move if im not in the correct section Thanks!*

My story:
- Entered freeway and want to cut all the way to the fast lane
- Drove 82 inorder to reach the fast lane
- Right when i got there, my intentions was to slow down but got pulled over for going 82.

My question:
- Anyone know a way to fight it?

Thats only a 4 point ticket, go to a traffic lawyer and he should be able to get it reduced to a 0 point ticket. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and I heard in CA the traffic lawyers will do the job for like $50 bucks (plus price of a new ticket) or something which is cheap. You dont want your insurance to go up from the points.
Old 09-27-10, 08:12 AM
nairb
Driver

Go to court and hope the cop doesn't show up. If you say not guilty traffic school isn't an option anymore. Either do no contest or say guilty if the cop shows up. Unless you have actual paper work/documentation that you weren't speeding or a lawyer, your word Vs. A cops is a no brained. Bring up your record if it's clean to reduce your fines maybe but there aren't many choices unfortunately.

Im in the same boat. Got an unsafe turn ticket recently. Planning on pleading guilty if he shows up and hoping my record will cut down fines
Old 09-27-10, 08:13 AM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe its just me, but 82 in a 65 doesn't really seem that bad, You probably wont get any points on your license and just get it minimized to a parking ticket or something. When i got pulled over going about 87 in a 65, i ended up getting a lawyer and all together paid about $260 with no school and no points on my license, I also had my license for only 9 months and didn't even go to court mainly because it was abut an hour and a half away from my house.
Going 82mph in a 65mph zone is not ok. Yes, there are a lot of people driving faster than that but everyone knows it's a risk going that fast. Regardless if you pay the fine or fight it, money is still going to come out of your pocket.

To the OP, you were clearly speeding if he caught you going 82mph. Pay the fine and learn from this mistake. There's no need to immediately go into the fast lane when entering a freeway, especially when you're just going to slow down after getting in. The time you save between going 70 (a safe speed in my opinion) compared to going 82 (risking a ticket) isn't going to be that much unless you're traveling far distances.
Old 09-27-10, 09:20 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would plead no contest, in some cases you can avoid the points and pay a reduced fine...
Old 09-27-10, 11:03 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just go +3, +5 mph, you'll be safe in the US .

I know in I-5 around the Everett area, the cops can be very tricky. The cops do not have to be on the road to catch you. If they are on patrol may have a plane up high up in the air (you will not be able to see them), monitoring the area looking for speeders - once they find their target, all they need to do is to radio a cop to their location. In this case the speeder will have no idea they were being watched from above when they get pulled over unsuspectedly.

In Canada, the other day I saw a cop being tricky. He was standing (hiding) behind a power/telephone pole near a cross walk on the main road pointing the gun into oncomming traffic. Funny thing, everyone pretty much goes 60kph in the 50kph limit anyways - must be catching those very high speeders
Old 09-27-10, 11:30 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 516IS
I would plead no contest, in some cases you can avoid the points and pay a reduced fine...
Yes, plead no contest. It is not admission of innocence or guilt. Ask if you can take a traffic school class or do community service in place of the ticket. Lots of places allow that, and I have done community service to reduce a $350 ticket to 20 hours of community service and $20.
Old 09-27-10, 11:49 AM
08ChrIS250
Driver

to the OP... same thing happened to me in my Z4. The cop started flirting with my GF in the passenger seat and let me off.... lol

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket