Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 11:50 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tzu911
First postpone it for 60 days. Then google ticketassassin. Then do your trial by (written) declaration. Worked for me both times- one time on highway one time local. Saved a little over $1000.
So if i do trail by written declaration, i get 2 tries to fight the ticket? It worked for you as in you were speeding and u fought it off?
Old 10-01-10, 01:43 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't speed.

Last night on my way to Vancouver, BC, I was driving on I-5 just passed Everett. I am on cruise control going 100 KPH about 2-3 MPH higher than 60 MPH. The freeway was pretty much to myself as car were far ahead and back away from me.

I notice a vehicle that was slowly catching up to me in the middle lane which I am on. After a while, it catches up to me and gets a bit close to me (not quite tailgating), but maintains distance and matches the same speed I am travelling. About a few minutes, the vehicle gets even closer and I am wondering what's this driver doing because the driver is not using either the slow or fast line to pass me. Around that moment, I see my driver's mirror getting reflected from lights and as I look, I see an SUV, probably going about +10 MPH or more in the fast lane comming up.

Just after the SUV passes by me, the vehicle that was close behind me, suddenly goes into the fast lane (as I looked in my rear view mirror to see if the vehicle was still tailing me close), passes me with a burst of speed quickly and to my suprize, I see "flasing lights' as it passes by my driver's window and almost immediately catches up to the SUV as the SUV has already began to singal to pull to the right. Ahh so, it was a undercover patrol car!

Poor SUV, should not be speeding like that. Was was caught off guard because the vehicle consealing itself by tailing me perhaps. Not sure if the unmarked car was even after me or just tailing me for me move over to the slow lane, even thou it could of just passed me. Or maybe the unmarked car was maybe trying to push me to make me go faster?

Last edited by Sango; 10-01-10 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-01-10, 09:56 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Snubbles
Thanks for all your input, so far not that much flaming. I guess by the looks of the responses i gotten, none of you ever won a speeding ticket?
I won my case and this how I did it, I was clocked by radar doing 65mph in 30 zone that's 35mph over speed limit it's automatic 11 points on my license if I lost this case. My wife had stage 3 cancer and I was rushing to hospital to bring some import documents to her ecologist surgeon and to see her when I was pulled over. Told the officer that I was sorry and explained to him were I was going and why and also showed him document's he took one look and said "tell it to judge" nice what a douche bag.

Well I got Lawyer that was a retired judge that specialized in traffic violations he was able plead it to a non moving violations I paid fine of $125.00 and his fee which was $350.00 yes it was not cheap, but the ticket cost and court fees would have been well over $600.00 dollars not to mention one more point and I would lose my license. Several state allow you to plea bargain to lesser charge but the rules can be different for every county in that state. Go on line and find out if the county were received ticket well allow you to plea bargain ticket and if it does I would hire lawyer your still going to pay but it beats getting points on your license and your insurance going up.

Good Luck
Old 10-01-10, 11:48 AM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
I won my case and this how I did it, I was clocked by radar doing 65mph in 30 zone that's 35mph over speed limit it's automatic 11 points on my license if I lost this case. My wife had stage 3 cancer and I was rushing to hospital to bring some import documents to her ecologist surgeon and to see her when I was pulled over. Told the officer that I was sorry and explained to him were I was going and why and also showed him document's he took one look and said "tell it to judge" nice what a douche bag.

Well I got Lawyer that was a retired judge that specialized in traffic violations he was able plead it to a non moving violations I paid fine of $125.00 and his fee which was $350.00 yes it was not cheap, but the ticket cost and court fees would have been well over $600.00 dollars not to mention one more point and I would lose my license. Several state allow you to plea bargain to lesser charge but the rules can be different for every county in that state. Go on line and find out if the county were received ticket well allow you to plea bargain ticket and if it does I would hire lawyer your still going to pay but it beats getting points on your license and your insurance going up.

Good Luck

You were about to lose your license because of one speeding ticket? Never heard of that before.
Old 10-01-10, 09:19 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if i do trail by written declaration, i get 2 tries to fight the ticket? It worked for you as in you were speeding and u fought it off?
PM sent. 10 char
Old 10-01-10, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

but who doesn't speed?
Depends on what you mean by "speeding". There are varying degrees of it. I agree with you that most people don't nail the limit all of the time, never actually exceeding it. Typical speed-cameras are set up to allow for some speedometer error caused by oversized wheels/tires and other factors....and usually won't zap you unless you are doing more than 10 MPH over the posted limit. On the Interstates, the typical State Trooper, with radar/laser, usually won't ticket you until about the same margin....10-15 MPH over the posted limit. Reckless driving, which is considered a serious offense, in most states, doesn't kick in until about 20-25 MPH over the posted limit (or, in my home state of VA, anything over 80 regardless of the posted limit). And, if you are going any faster than THAT, particularly in unsafe road conditions, then one probably deserves a serious ticket.