Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 07:37 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket

*Mods, please move if im not in the correct section Thanks!*

My story:
- Entered freeway and want to cut all the way to the fast lane
- Drove 82 inorder to reach the fast lane
- Right when i got there, my intentions was to slow down but got pulled over for going 82.

My question:
- Anyone know a way to fight it?

Old 09-26-10, 07:41 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

If your going 82 MPH in a 65MPH ZONE. and you want to CUT all the way to the fast lane. What does that tell you?

Not trying to be a d*c* or anything, but its common sense. Traffic school ,and just slow down or be more aware of your surroundings
Old 09-26-10, 07:43 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Did the officer pace you? Or did he get you on radar?
Old 09-26-10, 07:44 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

haha~ L

if you were going 82 just man up and pay the ticket, why you try'n to fight it for? you were speeding afterall...
Old 09-26-10, 07:47 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

He got a radar, also josh, like im just speeding up to enter the freeway and want to go fast lane and did not realize/feel my speed since lexus is kinda luxury comfort? (much love for my lexus not bashing)
Old 09-26-10, 07:47 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*raises hand*

Hello, my name is Micaiah, and I'm a speedoholic.

Dude. Seriously. I just got finished with my speeding ticket dues not too long ago.

My suggestion is to let it go to court and plead no contest. That means you are guilty but not guilty of what (speed) he said.

Depending upon your record (I had 15 years clean) he let me get by with traffic school and my fine cut from $580 to $220 PLUS the ability to go to traffic school, which was an additional $39. I did traffic school on line, that cost me around $45 to the school itself.
Old 09-26-10, 07:52 PM
holyking
Rookie

i did that once on redwood city CA 9pm. i would just pay for it, it will wast of time just aruge. I think the CHP have problem with cut all the way with fast lane, but not with your 82mph... when u cut so much lane, you caught his attention . gl
Old 09-26-10, 07:53 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Unfortunately you were clearly speeding. What you should of done is slow down a bit and slowly cut over into the fast lane but I'm sure you already know that (and sorry if it sounds a bit harsh. Not trying to in any way).

But as a word of advise, you can attempt to bring it to court and see if they'll decrease your fine at least. You can explain your case to them. Just be nice with them.

I've had parking tickets before where I was wrong and I plead my case. I was parked in an area that had a sign that said no parking between 8-6pm. It was past 6 so I said "okay I can park here". I came back to a ticket saying residential parking (funny how that works eh?) which I went up about half a block to find the sign. The magistrate explained that the laws require me to check the entire block for signs beforehand. I didn't bother arguing with him. Instead I simply apologized for not knowing (and wasting both our times) and thanked him. He then told me the files closed and the tickets been voided and have a nice day. In all honesty just because I was nice with him I lost but didn't have to pay a penny.

I've had friends get speeding tickets, one for speeding and he said he didn't notice the sign and was slowing down. The magistrate ended up lowering his fine. It might be worthwhile for you.
Old 09-26-10, 07:53 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Speedoholic and 15 years clean... impressive

for me, my first ticket, 2-3 year clean (still a student and clean until now :P). Is there a way to fight and win without saying no contest?
Old 09-26-10, 07:54 PM
Micaiah

It's not a waste of time to fight it. If you just pay it, it will be a moving violation on your driving record, and your insurance will go up.

If my record wasnt' clean, my license would be suspended due to what I was doing in comparison to the posted limit.
Old 09-26-10, 07:56 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

just man up and pay the fine. it's not as if the cop was wrong and said you were going 82 when you were going 72.
Old 09-26-10, 07:58 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

I thought if you pay and take traffic school, your insurance will not hear about it?
Old 09-26-10, 07:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I happen to find this article

Top 10 worst speeding excuses
http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-pick...entid=23348964

Note, one of them indicates even speeding to pass a truck spitting up don't will not cut it either!
-----------------------

If you go to court, the judge may offer "deferred defined hearing", depending on your record. This allows you to get away of not having a ticket on your permanent record (good for people with perfect, clean, or in some cases, outstanding). You will also have to pay a one time fee for going to one session of traffic school. The condition is, if you do not end up with another ticket within one year, the ticket will be destroyed and you will be free as if nothing happened (no record). If not, that ticket will be on record + the new offense one was pulled over on.

Last edited by Sango; 09-26-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 07:59 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by Snubbles
Speedoholic and 15 years clean... impressive

for me, my first ticket, 2-3 year clean (still a student and clean until now :P). Is there a way to fight and win without saying no contest?

Yes, you can plead not guilty (the judge will not want to hear your story until you say not guilty) and then a new court date will be assigned. The reason for the assignment is that at that time, the cop will be asked to be there as well.

You can either cross your fingers and hope he doesn't show and you will be let off or you can face the cop who might take the time to gather as much info as possible. If he proves his case you will have to pay anyway, but no chance of a reduce fine or traffic school. Your insurance will go up.

Seriously though. You lose money and you lose some time for traffic school.

The cop that issued me the ticket was very nice to me, and I apologized profusely. He even took it easy on me for what he wrote on the ticket. He was the one that told me to plead no contest and explained about him having to come to court if I choose to fight it.

Originally Posted by Snubbles
I thought if you pay and take traffic school, your insurance will not hear about it?

Correct. That's IF you say no contest and go to traffic school. Traffic school is the key to keeping your record clean. But if you just pay the fine straight on, they will hear about it
Old 09-26-10, 08:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Maybe its just me, but 82 in a 65 doesn't really seem that bad, You probably wont get any points on your license and just get it minimized to a parking ticket or something. When i got pulled over going about 87 in a 65, i ended up getting a lawyer and all together paid about $260 with no school and no points on my license, I also had my license for only 9 months and didn't even go to court mainly because it was abut an hour and a half away from my house.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket