Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Everybody can come up with their own subjective and loosey goosey definitions of what a SUV is or is not and that's wonderful.
Yep.....that even includes the EPA. In this case, though, I disagree with their classification.....the Forester/Outback (and Venza/Crosstour, for that matter), IMO, are raised-suspension AWD cars. But, I agree.....the vehicle itself, and what you get for your money, is far more important than some bureaucrat's classification on paper.

But both the automaker and the EPA have officially classified the Forrester/Outback and Venza as SUV's.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-28-10, 12:58 PM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get a powerful Nissan Pathfinder LE in that price range.
Old 09-28-10, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....that even includes the EPA. In this case, though, I disagree with their classification.....the Forester/Outback (and Venza/Crosstour, for that matter), IMO, are raised-suspension AWD cars. But, I agree.....the vehicle itself, and what you get for your money, is far more important than some bureaucrat's classification on paper.

But both the automaker and the EPA have officially classified the Forrester/Outback and Venza as SUV's.
[/QUOTE]

Don't just blame the bureaucrats at EPA on this.

The automakers purposely get these cars classified as SUVs to game the system and get more leeway with safety regulations, emission and fuel economy standards. Then they market them as cars/station wagons in brochures.

But I agree, classification doesn't determine the makeup of a vehicle for educated buyers.
Old 09-28-10, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The automakers purposely get these cars classified as SUVs to game the system and get more leeway with safety regulations, emission and fuel economy standards. Then they market them as cars/station wagons in brochures.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, I know. Subaru, by their own admission (and some other automakers) are guilty of that to some extent. My 2006 Outback, though, seems to have the same safety/emissions gear as most regular passenger cars.
Old 09-28-10, 01:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
You could get a powerful Nissan Pathfinder LE in that price range.
Sorry I can't recommend that. One of the worst new vehicles I've driven.

Old 09-28-10, 01:58 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry I can't recommend that. One of the worst new vehicles I've driven.
+1...my in laws have a Nissan Armada(Bigger version of the Pathfinder)biggest piece of crap I have seen and driven...they bought it for 67K in 2004 brand new...I have been trying to unload the thing for 15k but no bites...it has 55K miles on it...the interior is like the worst I have ever seen.
Old 09-28-10, 02:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Rav-4 V-6 is one of the best all around SUVs you can get. Amazing vehicle for the money. Can't get NAV in 08 though. Fast and great MPG and its pretty roomy
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while the rav4 v6 is fast, the interior is weak and the giant spare tire on the rear side opening door is terrible. i believe they finally nixed that this year.
If off-roading is not (or is no longer) a factor in the decision, then, of course, the options you listed are viable ones. But I agree with bitkahuna that the interior of newer RAV4s is not very pleasent, and neither is the interior of newer Foresters as well.
Let me put my $0.02 for the Rav4. I have a '10 Sport model.

I agree on the material quality; it's pretty plastic (dash, doors, center armrest; and a very cheesy headliner fabric). Limited models help by using leather on the seats, steering wheel, and shifter.

The V6 is very potent, and is able to tow up to 3500 lbs when needed. If not towing, it can easily be very brisk with 5 passengers and a trunk full of luggage. Functionality is utmost; it's spacious, especially without the tiny third row (pretty useless really). There's a hidden compartment underneath the trunk without that third row, which add to the cargo capacity. The rear door doesn't feel heavy with the full sized spare tire. There is a special Sport model (must be V6, AWD) which gets rid of the spare wheel on the rear in favor of run-flats. It's low maintenance, which is what most frugal buyers are looking for. I'm getting 24mpg for the V6 average, which is very good for an SUV with this much power.

The Sport model can handle very well. I say better than most FWD cars out there. I can push the car very easily and confidently, even with the expected body roll and torque steer. Now, it's not like Cayenne or RR Sport, but it handles much better that the previous generation RX330/350. I would even say that it handles better than most Toyota cars/SUV (not including Scion nor Lexus). The Rav4 is not top heavy, and is able to encourage confidence in freeway on/off ramps.

The Limited models have a lot of amenities that make it a lot more pleasant, such as leather surfaces; available Nav (you can buy plug-and-play in-dash aftermarket GPS specifically for the Rav4 about $500 on eBay); push-button start, etc. It does have a significant price premium, but you can get a better bargain if you find a used Limited Rav4 over a base Rav4.

So, for $20k, a used Sport or Limited V6 Rav4 provides a lot of car, cargo, and functionality; just don't expect Lexus quality/materials. Make sure you find one with some upgrades/options, and you'll be better off than new base/no-option competitors.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-28-10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 03:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Kia Borrego? or possibly a used 4 runner, id buy a runner over a rav any day
Old 09-28-10, 05:58 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If he wants a 5 passenger vehicle, consider a 04-06 RX330. If he wants a 6-7 passenger vehicle, consider a 08 Taurus X.
Old 09-28-10, 10:15 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I highly recommend a used Honda Pilot.. my dad has one, and it is one of the best automobiles we've ever owned. i must say this car has been abused, but with 82k+ miles not a single prob so far.. my only complaint is the hard leather seats, but truly functional for our needs..
Old 09-29-10, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can see where a used Pilot or Highlander would rise to the top of OP's list (being practical, roomy, reliable, affordable, comfortable, safe, available with AWD and smooth V6's, etc.).
Old 09-29-10, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I can see where a used Pilot or Highlander would rise to the top of OP's list (being practical, roomy, reliable, affordable, comfortable, safe, available with AWD and smooth V6's, etc.).
A Highlander Hybrid would possibly be the cream of that group, but they are not easy to find as used-vehicles. And the expensive battery-pack is guaranteed eight years by Federal law, but, after that, you're on your own.
Old 09-29-10, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A Highlander Hybrid would possibly be the cream of that group, but they are not easy to find as used-vehicles. And the expensive battery-pack is guaranteed eight years by Federal law, but, after that, you're on your own.
Probably too expensive for a nice one, given his price range. The Highlander regular V6 would be more affordable and every bit as nice to drive.
Old 11-14-10, 11:41 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well we ended up spending a little more ...and my dad went from this

to this

Old 11-14-10, 12:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats more then a little bit haha, congrats, i drove one last month for a week and i loved it

Quick Reply: 20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?