Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 02:02 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a beautiful machine!!
Old 11-14-10, 02:24 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

good choice
Old 11-14-10, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

damn, nice! is that a new one? if so, a wee bit more than 20k.
Old 11-14-10, 04:32 PM
LexFather

oh dear.......

Old 11-14-10, 05:43 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A little more? LOL 20-22k budget buster. Thats the problem for most people buying a car, once you get emotions involved, the heck with price.

I bet he will enjoy it though, those Acuras are built well and look great.
Old 11-14-10, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny735
Well we ended up spending a little more ...and my dad went from this

to this

Congragulations. The MDX is a well-built machine, and should last for years if you take care of it properly.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
oh dear.......
Well, Mike, you yourself have stated that the MDX is (arguably) Acura's best product.
Old 11-14-10, 06:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife and I have the same problem with most sedans, and because a used SUV holds a remarkable percentage of its value, it becomes rather expensive as a used car. We need something like an SUV, pickup or minivan in order to fold ourselves into it carefully. This may be some high form of heresy on a car forum, but you might look into a year or two old minivan - there are some genuine bargains in the used market.

We are thinking about replacing the wife's ancient minivan, and in my first few days of research discovered another minivan can be an excellent deal. A high-end Dodge or Chrysler minivan selling for well over $34K two years ago, now goes in the mid-to-high teens. I discovered one that is a year old with about 12K on the clock and remaining factory warranty for about $17K. The problem seems to be perception. Most people think that leather interiors and loads of other amenities come with a steep price tag, but if you shop around, there are bargains to be had, particularly in mid-range models.

Honda and Toyota minivans are highly desirable and will be offered at prices not significantly below a new vehicle. By the time you get an Odyssey or Sienna under $20K, it's going to have a lot of miles or years on it. Chrysler products have had a pretty good reputation in long-term service - in my area they are the taxicab of choice, and cabbies are not known to buy troublesome vehicles. Our Plymouth Grand Caravan is 17 years old and approaching 120K miles - and it's been a reliable little grocery-getter. Being the stereotypical mommyvan, Chrysler products are often snubbed, but if your ego can take the hit, go for it.

A couple of caveats: First, try to stick with reputable dealers. Buying a Dodge from a Chevy dealer is no problem, but buying from Joe's Used Cars may burn you. I discovered a low mileage Pacifica that was only two years old last year, going for $8,500. Upon inspection, it looked pretty good - until you walked around back. It had taken a mighty blow to the passenger-side rear corner that wouldn't even allow the rear liftgate to close. Of course none of this damage was mentioned in the online ad, nor did it show in the pictures. The used car dealer offered an explanation that it could be fixed for very little money . . . but it WAS drivable. If you've ever had a monocoque vehicle straightened, you know "very little money" is an outright lie. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to twist that body, and a lot of jacking force, properly applied, to get it lined up again. Then a new liftgate, trim and paint, e voilà, you could have had a really nice one for less money.

Second, because we have had several major floods this year, there will be numerous "bargains" out there in the used market. A flooded car has to be considered junk - it's probably already been written off by the insurance company, and some shady "dealers" are reselling them to the public. Be very careful and if you don't know how to look for "drowned" cars, take any car you are considering to a good, trusted mechanic for an inspection.
Old 11-14-10, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

We are thinking about replacing the wife's ancient minivan, and in my first few days of research discovered another minivan can be an excellent deal. A high-end Dodge or Chrysler minivan selling for well over $34K two years ago, now goes in the mid-to-high teens. I discovered one that is a year old with about 12K on the clock and remaining factory warranty for about $17K. The problem seems to be perception. Most people think that leather interiors and loads of other amenities come with a steep price tag, but if you shop around, there are bargains to be had, particularly in mid-range models.
The Hyundai Entourage and Kia Sedona minivans (especially the Sedona) can also be had a good prices because of their relatively fast depreciation.

Our Plymouth Grand Caravan is 17 years old and approaching 120K miles - and it's been a reliable little grocery-getter.
How many transmissions has this vehicle had replaced over the years? The early-90's 4-speed Chrysler Ultradrive units were known for a very short life. Maybe you lucked out, though, and got a good one.

Being the stereotypical mommyvan, Chrysler products are often snubbed, but if your ego can take the hit, go for it.

Agreed....and, as I see it, it is not even a matter of ego either. The tendency of the auto-press and enthusiasts to castigate minivans, is, IMO, nonsense....I don't agree with that long-held stigma. For some people (and families) the minivan is the perfect vehicle.

Perhaps, though, back to the original poster, maybe his parents just wanted the added traction/all-weather capability of an SUV vs. a minivan. The only minivan currently available in the American market with an AWD option is the Toyota Sienna, which you yourself point out is expensive and has low depreciation, making it expensive as a used-vehicle buy. His dad seems to be happy with the MDX they chose.
Old 11-14-10, 08:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice safe choice. Congrats.
Old 11-14-10, 08:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, nice choice. Winter is coming, and my parents are about to get themselves a new SUV (they also got rid of their Grand Cherokee earlier this year). They are torn between the MDX and X5, hope they end up with MDX.
Old 11-14-10, 09:02 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone...we gotta pretty good deal...the SUV's that we were looking at were costing close to 30K including taxes ...these included Rav4 and CRV's...this is a 09 with 31Kms..this kms not miles..they ended up buying the new acura warranty which is 6 years or 160KM...for an additional $2188 plus tax...total out the door was 37K...clean car...couldnt justify spending 30K and not being totally satisfied...Parents were content with paying an extra 7K and having a nice SUV versus one they had to settle for...Im a huge car guy couldnt be happier for my parents...

My Dads previous purchase to the MDX was a 1991 GMC Safari Van(bought new in 1991)..the Cherokee was a hand me down from my brother to my parents...anyways....they havent bought a car in 19 years...its not that they couldn't its just that they were content with what they were driving...couldnt wait to get home from work to see my parents....they deserve it...finally after 19 years...me and my brother have gone through 6 or 7 cars in the last 10 years each...finally they get something to be proud of..done with my rant
Old 11-14-10, 11:07 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the mdx is no doubt a great SUV. though the price is a little bit more than what you originally planned on spending haha
Old 11-15-10, 01:51 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nvm. you already got it. congrats.

Last edited by SaintNexus; 11-15-10 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Congrats, an excellent choice. The MDX is one of the best vehicles in its segment, is excellent for driving in winter conditions, and is highly recommended. I would have recommend the MDX but it was too expensive and a good deal nicer then what your dad originally wanted. I am sure they will love it especially coming from GMC/Chrysler vehicles.
Old 11-15-10, 10:34 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice Acura