Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 06:46 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?

Hey everyone...my dads 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee is finally dead..thank god..anyways...he wants to spend 20-22k and is looking for a v6 auto 2008 plus suv...what do you guys like or would buy?

His requirements...2008+,relaible..no other requirments
Ex:CRV,RAV4 ETC

Manny
Old 09-27-10, 06:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

cant go wrong with the rav4 or crv. maybe a hybrid?
Old 09-27-10, 07:06 PM
LexFather

CR-V is I-4 only.
Rav-4 V-6 is one of the best all around SUVs you can get. Amazing vehicle for the money. Can't get NAV in 08 though. Fast and great MPG and its pretty roomy

Old 09-27-10, 07:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say skip the V6 SUV in that price range. I would maybe spend just a little more, and/or try and get a Toyota Venza.
Old 09-27-10, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CR-V is I-4 only.
Rav-4 V-6 is one of the best all around SUVs you can get. Amazing vehicle for the money. Can't get NAV in 08 though. Fast and great MPG and its pretty roomy
while the rav4 v6 is fast, the interior is weak and the giant spare tire on the rear side opening door is terrible. i believe they finally nixed that this year.

Manny, you could probably get an '09 Sorrento for that!
Old 09-27-10, 09:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What about a used Nissan Murano? And neither of these are V6 but they are turbo 4 and fun to boot. Mazda CX-7 (love it!) and Acura RDX. Ford Escape V6?
Old 09-27-10, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Remember...the '99 GC your dad had was off-road-rated. That is not the case for vehicles like the RAV-4, CR-V, Venza, etc..... although they (and the Subaru Forester/Outback) have some off-road capability.

If off-roading is not (or is no longer) a factor in the decision, then, of course, the options you listed are viable ones. But I agree with bitkahuna that the interior of newer RAV4s is not very pleasent, and neither is the interior of newer Foresters as well.

The Acura RDX, mentoned above, is well-built and pleasant inside, and has a kick-a** turbo four and sharp handling, but its ride is quite stiff....your folks might not like it. The Mazda CX-7 and 9 have good road manners, but the CX-7 is below-average in reliability from Consumer Reports.....the CX-9 is average. The Ford Escape is worth a look, is popular, and has low depreciation, but the last one I test-drove was unimpressive both in handling and brakes (The Mazda Tribute is similiar, but styled slightly different). The Escape also, of course, has a hybrid version, but it may (?) be difficult-to-find as a used-vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-27-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 09:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rav4. The Venza is not really an SUV.
Old 09-27-10, 09:50 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

No off roading..my dads 64..and wants something that he can drive around town..pick up his grandchild from school etc...told him to get the Venza but he doesnt want to spend that much..hes not a car guy at all..he would rather have money in the bank then in a car...he just needs a mode of transportation..im asking here because i might as well get him something that looks nice and is fun to drive.
Old 09-27-10, 09:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Rav4. The Venza is not really an SUV.
Neither, technically, are the Subaru Forester/Outback....but they (and the Venza) have some SUV capabilities. Same with the Ford Freestyle/Taurus-X wagon.
Old 09-27-10, 10:32 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I have to ask - why an SUV if he uses it mostly for the reasons you listed?

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, but I would suggest a car, perhaps a wagon if he needs a bit more space. They are more economical, handle better, and look better...

I still don't understand America's "need" for SUVs.
Old 09-27-10, 10:37 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Yeah, I have to ask - why an SUV if he uses it mostly for the reasons you listed?

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, but I would suggest a car, perhaps a wagon if he needs a bit more space. They are more economical, handle better, and look better...

I still don't understand America's "need" for SUVs.
Forgot to add...my mom is a bigger older women...she has a tough time getting in and out of cars..as they are too low for her...with a SUV its much easier to get in and out.
Old 09-27-10, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manny735
Forgot to add...my mom is a bigger older women...she has a tough time getting in and out of cars..as they are too low for her...with a SUV its much easier to get in and out.
Yes, this is a VERY common complaint with older people, as their weaker, less-agile backs and legs make it more painful and difficult to get in and out of low-slung vehicles than when they were younger. It is one reason (among many) for the exploding popularity of higher-stance vehicles.
Old 09-28-10, 11:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Neither, technically, are the Subaru Forester/Outback....but they (and the Venza) have some SUV capabilities.
Technically they are SUV's and officially are classified as such in the United States.

Everybody can come up with their own subjective and loosey goosey definitions of what a SUV is or is not and that's wonderful.

But both the automaker and the EPA have officially classified the Forrester/Outback and Venza as SUV's.
Old 09-28-10, 12:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend a used Highlander (CPO) for purposes and criteria mentioned. Reliable, roomy, easy to drive, reasonable V6 power and economy. Most Venzas will be outside of price range mentioned.

Quick Reply: 20k.Dad is ready to buy..V6 SUV..any advice?