Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura will push for luxury credentials -- without V-8, rwd

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I thought this was a SRX/Enclave thread.

But then I remembered Acura, the wannable tier 1 lux brand.
Old 09-29-10, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Agreed....some of the posts, from several posters, got a little sidetracked comparing the MDX with the SRX and Enclave. While it can, as you note, be said that Acura is a Tier-1 wannabe, the same can also be said of Cadillac.

Actually, in Acura's case, I'm not sure if it's a case of wannabe so much as it is simply not willing to be. I personally don't see a need for big V8s, RWD, and 6 or 7-speed automatics, but, looking over and above my personal opinion (contrary to what some think, I don't live in a cocoon-world, and can see other views as well) the luxury-car market seems to be going that way, especially in the Tier-1 category. However, Acura DOES have one good thing going for it in that field. AWD is becoming, more and more, a feature to be expected in luxuty cars, at least as an option if not standard. Acura, along with Audi and Subaru, has one of the best AWD systems on the market, though, of course, Subaru is not a luxury/premium brand.
Old 09-29-10, 11:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Mike, SRX has AWD, but not SH-AWD.

Yes, I know, SH-AWD might be a silly name, but the technology behind it is actually quite amazing.
Old 09-29-10, 11:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, in Acura's case, I'm not sure if it's a case of wannabe so much as it is simply not willing to be. I personally don't see a need for big V8s, RWD, and 6 or 7-speed automatics, but, looking over and above my personal opinion (contrary to what some think, I don't live in a cocoon-world, and can see other views as well) the luxury-car market seems to be going that way, especially in the Tier-1 category. However, Acura DOES have one good thing going for it in that field. AWD is becoming, more and more, a feature to be expected in luxuty cars, at least as an option if not standard. .
Interesting/good distinction on the wannabe vs. not willing to be/not willing to make the investment. (And btw, I'm glad you acknowledge the differences in the lux car business, these demanding buyers would not tolerate a droning coarse 4 banger and some old 4 speed tranny for example, they know what premium machinery feels like).

Yes, they offer AWD like best lux brands, but the unwillingness or slow to offer: any V8 (not just big V8's), DOHC V6's, 6/7/8/9 speed advanced auto trannys, DI with high compression, a balanced RWD chassis, class-leading performance, class-leading fuel efficiency, tasteful styling are the reasons for the struggle to get into the same league.

So they try to talk their way in instead of delivering the superior products, it's not working.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-29-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
^^^ Mike, SRX has AWD, but not SH-AWD.
Yes, I made that clear in post #45. perhaps you did not see it.

I know, SH-AWD might be a silly name, but the technology behind it is actually quite amazing.
Basically, what it does is vector torque to the inside/outside wheels depending on cornering forces. It works to control understeer/oversteer, similiar to the manner of ESP (stability control), except that instead of braking an individual inside or outside wheel with yaw-sensors and the traction/anti-lock brake system like ESP does, it instead uses sophisticated electronic differentials to vector torque split. And, of course, the ESP/traction systems are also there to back it up if needed.
Old 09-29-10, 11:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

AWD is becoming, more and more, a feature to be expected in luxuty cars, at least as an option if not standard. Acura, along with Audi and Subaru, has one of the best AWD systems on the market, though, of course, Subaru is not a luxury/premium brand.
Mike, as far as I know, both Audi, and Subaru, and even Toyota, as well as many other makers, simply use Torsen differentials in their AWD systems. The company that makes Torsen differential actually belongs to Toyoda Machine Works (possibly a Toyota's daughter company?)

Acura's SH-AWD is completely different, and much superior. It is of course also a lot more complex, and will be more expensive to repair if anything goes wrong.
Old 09-29-10, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, as far as I know, both Audi, and Subaru, and even Toyota, as well as many other makers, simply use Torsen differentials in their AWD systems. The company that makes Torsen differential actually belongs to Toyoda Machine Works (possibly a Toyota's daughter company?)

Acura's SH-AWD is completely different, and much superior. It is of course also a lot more complex, and will be more expensive to repair if anything goes wrong.
True, but according to Consumer Reports (and I consider them, for the U.S., the best auto-reliability data in the buisness), most Acura models are very well-built, with reliability records well-above average (despite the well-known TL transmission problems of a number of years ago). The chances of having major AWD problems, while not out of the question, are generally not good.
Old 09-29-10, 11:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yes, I made that clear in post #45. perhaps you did not see it.

Basically, what it does is vector torque to the inside/outside wheels depending on cornering forces. It works to control understeer/oversteer, similiar to the manner of ESP (stability control), except that instead of braking an individual inside or outside wheel with yaw-sensors and the traction/anti-lock brake system like ESP does, it instead uses sophisticated electronic differentials to vector torque split. And, of course, the ESP/traction systems are also there to back it up if needed.
Well, unlike Torsen, and other limited slip differentials, SH-AWD is able to send almost all of the torque to any wheel, independent of whats happening to all other wheels. It is a huge prowess in conditions with poor traction - mud, snow, ice - second only to part time 4wd systems with rear, front and center lockers. And of course it doubles as "extended" stability control measure.

I believe Nissan was actually the first one to introduce such system in their Skyline, and continued it in the GTR. I remember watching a documentary about the old Skyline, with the dashboard display showing how much torque is being sent to which wheel. Of course, unlike Acura, Nissan doesn't hype their system, and just lets Acura take all the credit.
Old 09-29-10, 11:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Oh wait....

This thread is now about Unicorns
Attached Thumbnails Acura will push for luxury credentials -- without V-8, rwd-unicorn-costume.jpg  
Old 09-29-10, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, I was talking about these MSRP's. Just a few years ago, the TL was what, 32-34k, and TSX was 26-27k? They increased their prices by 10k, without really adding anything new, so I can only assume they ballooned their profit margin.
Well the key here is when Acura stated they planned to sell 70,000 TLs. That was the same goal as the previous model. Assuming what you said, the dealers SHOULD HAVE made more money on the car.

However that didn't happen. What we do know is the TL sold around half the 70,000 goal. There is no demand for it, thus dealers having to offer cash and discounts to sell the car and give more money for trades to sell the car. You can easily google around and see getting the car for thousands off MSRP is as simple as asking. (won't go into leasing since that is factory backed).

The plan was for Acura to price their cars higher (which they did) and keep volumes around the same. That didn't happen at all.

The ZDX sales goal was 6,000k a year. They might half that, 3,000k. The RDX goal was 20,000k. They hit around 14k. The RL had a 20k sales goal which they never reached. I assume TSX, MDX were close to hitting goals.

Not meeting sales goals=no demand=dealers doing what it takes to sell the car=less profit for dealesr, even possible losses as inventory is high.

(Acura is not the only brand with this issue, its any car that fails to meet sales goals)

Originally Posted by Och

Well its a shame but Acura HAD the best AWD system but never exploited it like they should have. They put it in SUVs and average powered cars. The name is also ricerish and lacks panache (really SUPER handling AWD, that is the best Marketing could do).

Today Acura no longer just offers torque vectoring. Audi, Porsche, BMW have it and others will to. The advantage is lost. It is still a fantastic system but damn they could have done wonders with it.

I said it a looooong time ago, SH AWD needed a high HP sports car to really showcase its abilities. Initially putting it in a slow RL then SUVs didn't do the system justice.

If they had the ***** to produce the NSX, even if it was front engined, with SHAWD there is no doubt in my mind that damn car would have been a MISSLE on the track mixing both LFA and GTR attributes (V-10/AWD). It would have really shown how badass the system is.

Old 09-29-10, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If they had the ***** to produce the NSX, even if it was front engined, with SHAWD there is no doubt in my mind that damn car would have been a MISSLE on the track mixing both LFA and GTR attributes (V-10/AWD). It would have really shown how badass the system is.
Part of the NSX's advantage under those conditions, Mike, would be not just the SH-AWD system, but its lightweight aluminum frame and structure. In this, it emulates, to some extent, Lotus products.
Old 09-29-10, 12:29 PM
LexFather

Part of the NSX's advantage under those conditions, Mike, would be not just the SH-AWD system, but its lightweight aluminum frame and structure. In this, it emulates, to some extent, Lotus products.
Not sure if the new NSX mule was aluminum or not. It helps with weight but it is not as light or strong as Carbon Fiber.

Old 09-29-10, 12:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm actually glad they didn't make a F/R NSX. That would just be another lame attempt and prostituting on a legendary name.
Old 09-29-10, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure if the new NSX mule was aluminum or not. It helps with weight but it is not as light or strong as Carbon Fiber.
Yes, I was refering to the old one....if SH-AWD had been (or could have been) fitted to it. The (supposedly) new NSX, after constant rumors and changes/postponements, was never released....so we don't really know for sure what would have finally and officially gone into it, structure or drivetrain.
Old 09-29-10, 12:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst part is that Acura was actually the first Japanese premium brand to emerge. Now look at them, they're actually more in a fog than Lincoln right now.

Quick Reply: Acura will push for luxury credentials -- without V-8, rwd