Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motorcycling Calif. gov signs bill to quiet hogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10 | 09:20 AM
LexFather

Post Motorcycling Calif. gov signs bill to quiet hogs

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_1...nclick_check=1

Motorcycling Calif. gov signs bill to quiet hogs
Posted at 07:58 PM on Tuesday, Sep. 28, 2010
By ROBIN HINDERY
- Associated Press Writer
SACRAMENTO, Calif. More than 60 years after the Hells Angels first revved their engines in a steel town east of Los Angeles, California is reining in motorcycle enthusiasts with new legislation aimed at quieting the deafening roar of modified rides.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, an avid motorcyclist, signed a bill Tuesday that targets motorcyclists who remove federally mandated, factory-installed emission control devices and replace them with custom, aftermarket parts. Those modifications often make bikes louder and increase their emissions.

The new law will make it a crime to operate a motorcycle manufactured after Jan. 1, 2013, that does not meet federal noise-emission control standards.

Motorcyclists whose vehicles lack the proper U.S. Environmental Protection Agency label will face fines of up to $100 for first-time violations, and up to $250 for subsequent infractions. The initial ticket can be voided if the individual makes the required corrections.

"Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, that is too loud," said Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, the author of SB435. She called the noise problem a quality-of-life issue.

In a statement Tuesday, Pavley praised the governor, who owns multiple motorcycles, for acting to put a stop to what she described as "a few bad apples on our roads."

But many bikers say the law adds an unnecessary layer of government bureaucracy, and that the state's existing laws to deal with motorcycle noise and illegal mufflers already keep the problem largely under control.

Pavley disagrees, and says the legislation will provide a uniform statute that gives state and local law enforcement officers the ability to write citations.

The first Hells Angels motorcycle club was founded in 1948 in Fontana, in San Bernardino County. Today, California is home to more than 10 percent of the country's registered motorcycles, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The state implemented a motorcycle helmet law in 1992 over the strong objections of the biker community.
Old 09-29-10 | 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

About time, although some Harley-owning cops will be displeased.
Old 09-29-10 | 09:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Good move,Arnold!
How 'bout the other state Gov's do the same thing?
Old 09-29-10 | 09:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

When a bike passes and my ears buzz afterward...probably too loud.
Old 09-29-10 | 09:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Although I am for the bill, I'm surprised that Arnold (an avid motorcyclist) signed it.

Goodbye loud pipes. Hello loud dry clutches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_y5DgSce4

I predict most enthusiasts will be flocking to buy 2012 bikes without the sticker...
Old 09-29-10 | 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Though I can understand both sides of it, I basically agree with the bill, too. But signing a bill is one thing.....enforcing it is quite another, especially with some of the notorious biker gangs. The Hell's Angels, Pagans, Outlaws, etc.... can be a mean bunch of guys if you cross them. Even some cops are leery of dealing with them.
Old 09-29-10 | 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I can understand both sides of it, I basically agree with the bill, too. But signing a bill is one thing.....enforcing it is quite another, especially with some of the notorious biker gangs. The Hell's Angels, Pagans, Outlaws, etc.... can be a mean bunch of guys if you cross them. Even some cops are leery of dealing with them.
Can you come up with more stereotypes in 2 sentences.

That is hilarious and has nothing to do with the vast majority of Harley riders or the cops that interact and enforce motorcycling laws.

I've been to Hollister m/c rallies in CA and the officers of these notorious m/c clubs were in attendance, no problem. (No wonder this stuff spreads on the internet, often by those that never get away from a pc and actually travel in the amazing United States of America).

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-29-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-29-10 | 10:30 AM
LexFather

I wish they would do the same to dumbass 40hp Civics with the fart can exhaust. Its loud and annoying and it doesn't sound good at all.
Old 09-29-10 | 10:31 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I think that's only fair, given that there are already laws to monitor exhaust volume on a car. I've always wondered why we get pulled over for an aftermarket exhaust, only to go deaf when a Harley revs by. Made no sense.
Old 09-29-10 | 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Can you come up with more stereotypes in 2 sentences.

That is hilarious and has nothing to do with the vast majority of Harley riders or the cops that interact and enforce motorcycling laws.

You misunderstood my post. I did not imply that all Harley riders were gang members....far from it. That would, as you note, have been a stereotype even 40 years ago, when a higher-percentage were in gangs, than today. What I was implying is that the law can probably be easily enforced with the majority of bike riders, but not with the hard-core gangs..
Old 09-29-10 | 11:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You misunderstood my post. I did not imply that all Harley riders were gang members....far from it. That would, as you note, have been a stereotype even 40 years ago, when a higher-percentage were in gangs, than today. What I was implying is that the law can probably be easily enforced with the majority of bike riders, but not with the hard-core gangs..
I see, my mistake in misunderstanding your post.

Agreed, the law can be enforced in a vast majority of cases as it is effectively being done with most cars in CA. The m/c gangs are not likely to be treated any different from a noise reg standpoint than the other Harley riders, therefore m/c gang bikes will be under same scrutiny.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-29-10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-10 | 11:56 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wish they would do the same to dumbass 40hp Civics with the fart can exhaust. Its loud and annoying and it doesn't sound good at all.
You can bet your bottom dollar that this is most certainly a slippery slope to other vehicles.

I agree with the bill. Some/most Harley's are just ridiculously stupid loud for no reason. No, you don't need to sit there and rev your Harley at every stoplight.
Old 09-29-10 | 12:03 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

I figured you'd also upgrade (racing/performance/crotch rockets) the exhaust to sound louder so people can actually HEAR you.
Old 09-29-10 | 12:29 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I figured you'd also upgrade (racing/performance/crotch rockets) the exhaust to sound louder so people can actually HEAR you.
I did that with my sport bikes when I had them. Mainly after being cut-off in a lane-splitting (within legal limits and me having the right-of-way) accident that ended with me going over from an endo and ending up face down on the road in commute traffic. I figured if the driver will use the excuse he "didn't see me" I'd make the exhaust louder so they could HEAR me. My riding days are over though...
Old 09-29-10 | 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS wanted
I did that with my sport bikes when I had them. Mainly after being cut-off in a lane-splitting (within legal limits and me having the right-of-way) accident that ended with me going over from an endo and ending up face down on the road in commute traffic. I figured if the driver will use the excuse he "didn't see me" I'd make the exhaust louder so they could HEAR me. My riding days are over though...
Welcome back, GS wanted. Haven't seen you post much lately, especially in CAR CHAT.

Quick Reply: Motorcycling Calif. gov signs bill to quiet hogs