Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Passat debuts (blaaaaand)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 10:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

top model looks ok i think overall... very american.

i dont know if VW with relatively bad interior and old engines and still the same reliability is an VW. Whats the selling point?

It has as little options as Japanese do too.. maybe even less... smaller NAV, 5 speed manual....
Old 05-24-11, 10:41 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It kind of looks like an impala.

43mpg highway is nice!
Old 05-24-11, 12:42 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sorry but that is one plain looking car. Inside and out. Even the plain looking Avalon looks way better than this one. I don't care what it offers underneath, its still boring as hell. Sorry but im judging the book buy its cover on this one. WTF!
Old 05-24-11, 01:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what do you expect for this class. The only car in its class that has some style is the Hyundai Sonata. The Camry , Accord, and Jetta look like old women with no make up. Just ugly, plain , and old
Old 05-24-11, 05:28 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job VW, you made the Passat look like an Impala. The interior also looks exactly like the previous Passat.
Old 05-24-11, 05:47 PM
LexFather

Whats amazing is while they dumbed down the Jetta to worst of class levels, it has never sold better. I mean its selling like hotcakes.

THere is a good chance this will be the same, dumbed down and worst in class but its cheap, its a German (though entirely designed and built here) Camry/Impala and people will buy it up.

Americans, we love the dull

Old 05-24-11, 08:05 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whats amazing is while they dumbed down the Jetta to worst of class levels, it has never sold better. I mean its selling like hotcakes.

THere is a good chance this will be the same, dumbed down and worst in class but its cheap, its a German (though entirely designed and built here) Camry/Impala and people will buy it up.

Americans, we love the dull
Exactly - the Jetta before seemed like it was a cut above the rest when it came to the feel of the interior quality and some of the little details. You paid a little more for it compared to others in the class, but you could tell where the money went. Now it's kind of chinzy throughout, but since it has a lower price point, people can't get enough of it.

Kinda looks like VW applied the plain/boring/cheesiness to the Passat - a shame. I guess if you want something nicer from V-dub you'll go with the CC?

Let me get one thing straight - I'm not a fan of VW - I personally think they are sub-par when it comes to reliability and I would never own one.

Before - felt like a premium car, but had its quirks.

Now - seems cheesy and plain, most likely with quirks just the same. Maybe owners won't care as much since they didn't pay a premium??

Oh well - FWIW let them do what they want with their cars, they'll never get my money.
Old 05-24-11, 09:23 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new ones sell better because they dropped the price and they're BIGGER. That's what Americans look for. If VW had put some effort into designing their new cars, I'm sure they would have been even more successful. The blandness of the new Jetta (I actually think the current Camry and Accord have better styling than this turd) inside and out effectively took it off our shopping list even though price was very competitive. Not the direction VW should be going IMHO.
Old 05-24-11, 11:02 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Its a classy kind of dull.

VW has the CC for the looks.
Old 05-24-11, 11:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree it looks very bland, but it's clean and still modern looking. If there's one good spot they got right, its at the rear with the 3-series taillights.
I can understand VW wanting more sales, so the cheaper price point and American boatyness (is there such word?) makes some sense. Those who pegged it looks like an Impala are right.
It's also a shame the interior is the same as the current car. Not that that's a bad thing, but how hard could it have been to go into the next era of dashboards? VW has always led here.
Biggest gripe of the photo car- it looks like a 4x4. The wheel gap destroys the whole thing. Hopefully they offer a sport package which brings it down a bit.
Old 05-25-11, 06:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thought this one looked much better...
Attached Thumbnails New Passat debuts (blaaaaand)-pasat.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 05-25-11 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 07:37 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

It's a handsome car. The design is nothing ground-breaking, but it is elegant in an extremely understated way. If I were in the market for a large mainstream sedan the new Passat certainly appeals to me.

Why is the interior of the new Passat always criticized as being "cheap"? It looks quite upscale in this photo.

Old 05-25-11, 08:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well that version is 35k probably Dustin.

And to me it has lost a lot of what makes it unique in america. Now it is another middle-of-the-pack car. You cant order many of the options.

They out-did the Toyota here.
Old 05-25-11, 10:39 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well that version is 35k probably Dustin.

And to me it has lost a lot of what makes it unique in america. Now it is another middle-of-the-pack car. You cant order many of the options.

They out-did the Toyota here.
But even on a more expensive trim version, the cabin plastics remain of the same quality. The wood might be extra here, but even the addition of wood cannot save a poor quality interior. But that isn't the case here (to me): this cabin looks pretty nice in terms of materials.

I might be in the minority here, but this interior looks pretty well-made to me and the materials look upscale. The design is also typical of modern Volkswagen, so that means its easily identifiable as a Volkswagen product.
Old 05-25-11, 10:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
It's a handsome car. The design is nothing ground-breaking, but it is elegant in an extremely understated way. If I were in the market for a large mainstream sedan the new Passat certainly appeals to me.

Why is the interior of the new Passat always criticized as being "cheap"? It looks quite upscale in this photo.

Its not handsome it bland as a 1990 Camry or Impala. Its not understated, its bland and for people in the witness protection program. The new Jetta and Passat interior is cheap, stylized pics can't help it. Call a spade a spade.

If the Passat is handsome, the Camry is the greatest auto design ever

Quick Reply: New Passat debuts (blaaaaand)