Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Passat debuts (blaaaaand)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Who cares, its a Passat. It is essentially made for short, boring people whom think they are hip and cool.
So what's "hip" and "cool" about driving a Passat? It's not like driving a Miata, Eos convertible, Mini Cooper, or Fiat 500 where other people on the road will take notice.
Old 05-26-11, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short, boring, cool, hip people, wtf.

Last time I checked this was about new Passat. New interior looks better than exterior IMO.
Old 05-26-11, 03:55 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
looks like a mini phaeton...
well, the old phaeton was a big passat

I can't believe I'm going to say that a kia, a kia optima looks way better than this
Old 05-26-11, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
well, the old phaeton was a big passat

I can't believe I'm going to say that a kia, a kia optima looks way better than this
many things do... it is very toyotized car, and I have for long thought of VW as European Toyota. In reality, they do make very bland and boring cars overall. Just look at the interiors - all of their interiors are very similar.
Old 05-26-11, 04:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not handsome it bland as a 1990 Camry or Impala. Its not understated, its bland and for people in the witness protection program. The new Jetta and Passat interior is cheap, stylized pics can't help it. Call a spade a spade.

If the Passat is handsome, the Camry is the greatest auto design ever

Design is subjective. There isn't one single design out there that can please everyone.

I for one like the styling of the new Passat because follows a non-risky design evolution. In many ways it's a toned-down version of the last-generation Passat. This process has happened more than once in automotive history, where a succeeding model was far more conservatively styled than the model it replaced. And the replacements were always successful in sales doing even better than the model they replaced.

The new Passat kind of reminds me of the Skoda Superb, which I like. There's clearly a VW design language here that's visible across the range, especially on its Seat and Skoda models.

The current Camry, well, it's not one of my favorite designs. While I wouldn't call it bland, but I don't find it elegant or handsome in any way. I also like the styling of the Honda Accord. It's another handsome car in this class. The Camry, Optima and Sonata don't appeal to me in terms of styling.
Old 05-26-11, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

European Honda Accord is significantly better looking than blandomobile Passat or dear god Skoda.

I think you have to see through very tick glasses to put Superb and Accord in the same sentence.

It is like comparing A5 to Solara.

Every Skoda could have looked better if VW didnt make it quirky on purpose just so people with more money would buy VW badge.
Old 05-26-11, 04:43 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
European Honda Accord is significantly better looking than blandomobile Passat or dear god Skoda.

I think you have to see through very tick glasses to put Superb and Accord in the same sentence.

It is like comparing A5 to Solara.

Every Skoda could have looked better if VW didnt make it quirky on purpose just so people with more money would buy VW badge.

Again, we're talking about the issue of design here which is completely subjective. You dislike a design, I like it. You like the styling of the Camry, I don't. Arguing about which design looks better is an endless battle with no right or wrong.

I happen to like the Skoda Superb along with the Citroen C5 in terms of design. They're both handsome and good-looking cars. If I had a garage I'd love to have one of them.
Old 05-26-11, 05:05 PM
LexFather

Where can I get a pair of these googles? The German double standard continues.

Old 05-26-11, 05:19 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Where can I get a pair of these googles? The German double standard continues.
Since when do my personal design preferences count as part of a "German double standard"?

You like the Camry design language, I don't. It's based on personal preference and has absolutely nothing to do with double standards.

Toyota simply hasn't designed any good-looking or interesting cars for their international markets. In Japan they have some classy and interesting designs, but for their export markets they simply don't. There's not a single good-looking Toyota product in Europe with the exception of the Land Cruiser for example. This comment is based on my personal opinion.

No need to cry out about double standards which really have no place in this thread.
Old 05-26-11, 05:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Since when do my personal design preferences count as part of a "German double standard"?

You like the Camry design language, I don't. It's based on personal preference and has absolutely nothing to do with double standards.

Toyota simply hasn't designed any good-looking or interesting cars for their international markets. In Japan they have some classy and interesting designs, but for their export markets they simply don't. There's not a single good-looking Toyota product in Europe with the exception of the Land Cruiser for example. This comment is based on my personal opinion.

No need to cry out about double standards which really have no place in this thread.
How can you say design is subjective, then rant right afterwards that Toyota doesn't have anything good looking internationally? Double standard. How can you de-test the Camry styling but drool over the Passat? Double standard. The Camry is bashed for a bland/cheap interior and VW goes blander and cheaper with a NEW car but its praised. Double standard.

I didn't even say I liked the Camry styling. I am pointing out that if one finds the new bland, boring, unimaginative, could have debuted in 1984 new generaation Passat a good/grand design, well then by that same token the Camry is a just as good if not a masterpiece.

Old 05-26-11, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

A question about the five cyliner engine that will be standard. How is it? I've read it's on the rough side or makes strange noises under acceleration. Can't confirm though. Has it been offered in the 170 hp form before or has it been worked over for the Passat?
Old 05-27-11, 07:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A question about the five cyliner engine that will be standard. How is it? I've read it's on the rough side or makes strange noises under acceleration. Can't confirm though. Has it been offered in the 170 hp form before or has it been worked over for the Passat?
It's not that bad from a NVH standpoint (I've driven the 5 cylinder for a day in Jetta). Not rough, not unpleasant, pretty well isolated, but certainly lacking the premium sound of a good V6 or straight 6 when accelerating/revving hard. And not quick.
Old 05-27-11, 08:35 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of the last generation Ford Taurus/Ford Five Hundred.

I hope they sell this into rental car fleets. I get really bored of driving Camrys all the time.
Old 05-27-11, 08:37 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The new Passat kind of reminds me of the Skoda Superb, which I like. There's clearly a VW design language here that's visible across the range, especially on its Seat and Skoda models.

That's because its the same car. It's like Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

In fact think of VW as Chrysler. In that case Skoda is Dodge - the stripped down, hard wearing, low-cost variant of the same car. And Seat is like Lancia. It's VW for Spanish people, just like Lancia is Chrysler for Italians.

Or if you use a GM analogy, VW is Buick. Skoda is Chevy. And Seat is Vauxhall.

Last edited by *Batman*; 05-27-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 01:11 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

How can you say design is subjective, then rant right afterwards that Toyota doesn't have anything good looking internationally? Double standard. How can you de-test the Camry styling but drool over the Passat? Double standard. The Camry is bashed for a bland/cheap interior and VW goes blander and cheaper with a NEW car but its praised. Double standard.

I didn't even say I liked the Camry styling. I am pointing out that if one finds the new bland, boring, unimaginative, could have debuted in 1984 new generaation Passat a good/grand design, well then by that same token the Camry is a just as good if not a masterpiece.

I like the new Passat from a design point of view. Yes, the design is extremely conservative but it's handsome in an understated sort of way. This is a personal design preference. What is bland for person A isn't bland for person B.

Of course, I'd take a Citroen C5 or Skoda Superb over the new Passat any day. Those two cars are far more stylish and visually exciting than the new Passat.

However, I do find the new Passat to look nicer than the current Camry. Again, subjective and personal opinions.

Quick Reply: New Passat debuts (blaaaaand)