Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Sports is losing the battle to Fuel saving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 11:14 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is Sports is losing the battle to Fuel saving?

Its seems,to me atleast, that efficiency is the new "performance". More and more high end companies are focued more on fuel saving than sports. Porsche's latest top offering has more hybrid technology engineered into it than sport perfromance. Lambo is going green now to chase Porsche, Ford is giving us a "green" GT, Mercedes will hybrid out its whole S-class line up that will trickle down to the rest of the line up, and every new Lexus coming out from here on out will be hybrid. Sportiness or Sports has taken a back seat to fuel efficiency due to CAFE regulations. I get that but will the next generation be more focued on "How fast my battery will recharge" rather than 1/4 mile numbers?
Old 09-30-10, 12:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Its seems,to me atleast, that efficiency is the new "performance". More and more high end companies are focued more on fuel saving than sports. Porsche's latest top offering has more hybrid technology engineered into it than sport perfromance. Lambo is going green now to chase Porsche, Ford is giving us a "green" GT, Mercedes will hybrid out its whole S-class line up that will trickle down to the rest of the line up, and every new Lexus coming out from here on out will be hybrid. Sportiness or Sports has taken a back seat to fuel efficiency due to CAFE regulations. I get that but will the next generation be more focued on "How fast my battery will recharge" rather than 1/4 mile numbers?
Well it seems that they are figuring out howto make better cars that are more efficient. F1's KERS system might be seen in road cars. I've read a lot on the Porsche 911 Hybrid and the hybrid system really kicks in when needed and the car didn't need to refuel as much.

The push for better MPG is also pushing these brands to LOSE THE WEIGHT which hurts MPG. These cars will then also handle better. Win/Win to me.

I think the push for more MPG is great as it will challenge car brands to do better and they also will not give up high power cars just for the sake of MPG.

Old 09-30-10, 01:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah i see your point. But as i take a look at the youngsters today(10-20yrs old), i rarely here them talk about performance of vehicles or even about cars at all. When my nephew(13) hoped into my ride the first thing he ask was does this screen play video and does it have bluetooth? Never did he or any of his friends ask how fast is it or can it beat such and such cars in a race. Those questions i asked when i was younger to my pops and uncles. Yes! The hybrid race is a major step in the evolution of the car and by all means we need to make as many as we can to cut back on fossil fuels but it the days of perfromance being the top reason a person bases their desicion will be all but mute. It will,imo,take a back seat to fuel mileage and utility. Not that i will stand in the way of the new push towards hybrids but i guess im just stuck i my ways and have gotten used to seeing a shoot out of 0-60 being a major factor. Now i will have to get used to the AC/DC motor-to-wheel transfer times.
Old 09-30-10, 03:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see it as losing the battle. For the buyers of sporting cars in this price range, the "green" factor is an additional bonus.
Old 09-30-10, 03:24 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Efficiency **IS** performance.
Old 09-30-10, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Exactly, so much performance technology is the key to the efficiency we have today and even more so in the future.
Old 09-30-10, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Several studies have shown that people often buy hybrids more to make a low-pollution, environmental statement that to actually save fuel....though with many hybrids, of course, better mileage comes as part of the package. But, there are a number of ways one can save fuel besides buying a gas-electric hybrid......modern TDI/Bluetec diesels, keeping tire PSIs as recommended, cleaning unnecessary and mileage-robbing weight out of the trunk, accelerating/braking more gently, and, of course, the cheapest way of all.....simply keep the car you have and drive less, while walking/riding a bicycle or using mass transit when appropriate or available. Diesels, though, even the advanced (and superb) new TDIs and Bluetecs, can often equal an equivalent hybrid's mileage, but cannot compete on the emission, even with the clean new urea-solituin diesel exhausts. And the Bluetecs (not the TDIs) require periodic urea-refills. So, in retrospect, you can save fuel with either a diesel or hybrid, but, with a hybrid, you have a cleaner exhaust as well.

As far as combining "sport" with hybrids, the sport-oriented Honda CR-Z is the first hybrid to offer a true 6-speed manual, but, because of the rather unrefined nature of the Honda IMA hybrid powertrain (as opposed to the more seamless operation of Toyota hybrid systems, it was not as well-done as it could have been.

Lambo is going green now
You aren't kidding. What a gorgeous color. But, yes, seriously, I get your point on the environmental issue.

Old 10-01-10, 06:13 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

I see you guys points now. I was just kinda worried that the true sporting nature will undone by small circular pods that you plug in and are made up of all glass and recycled plastics!
Old 10-01-10, 06:52 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^ If i makes money to the people that pull the strings, that is a definite possibility. Oil is still big money business though
Old 10-01-10, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Efficiency **IS** performance.
that sounds like government doublespeak.
try saying that to someone with a funny car dragster. drinks gas, brute force monster engine... not exactly 'efficient'.

the only reason car companies are focused on this is because the government has a gun to their heads... higher fuel economy, or die.
Old 10-01-10, 10:33 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that sounds like government doublespeak.
try saying that to someone with a funny car dragster. drinks gas, brute force monster engine... not exactly 'efficient'.

the only reason car companies are focused on this is because the government has a gun to their heads... higher fuel economy, or die.
Efficiency to me is getting the most power out if every drop of gasoline that goes into an engine, and by extension a more complete burn, and a side benefit of better emissions and less obviously, less waste.

A funny car uses a huge engine and swills gas to produce the power it makes. Not efficient. Powerful, fast, but not efficient.

As an aside, I should mention that getting 100mpg to me is not necessarily efficiency.
Old 10-02-10, 04:16 PM
LexFather

Hybrid's CEO has stated KERS is their future and green will allow them to build V-12s still. Lotus just unveiled tons of hyrbid sports cars. Porsche has a hybrid Cayenne with 380hp.

It is the future. Lexus pioneered it with the GS 450h 4 years ago.

Old 10-02-10, 08:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hybrid's CEO has stated KERS is their future and green will allow them to build V-12s still. Lotus just unveiled tons of hyrbid sports cars. Porsche has a hybrid Cayenne with 380hp.

It is the future. Lexus pioneered it with the GS 450h 4 years ago.
C&D had an article on "Sports cars of the future" at the paris show. Of course the Esprit was featured , as well as the Sesto Elemento, Porsche 918 et al, but it was rather convenient how they forgot to mention that TOYOTA pioneered this concept many a moon ago, most recently with the FT-HS & Sport Hybrid concepts and Supra HV-R race car, but even since 2004 With the Alessandro Volta concept, 400hp, AWD, hybrid Sports coupe in a Carbon Fiber Chassis. Pity the never got around to building it and showing the world what's what.

Old 10-02-10, 08:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

This might have been the greatest car Toyota never built...... yet

Old 10-02-10, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Seriously, Toyota continues to churn out boring *** cars and dropping the ball on anything of interest. Then they let Lotus take their engines and make them more powerful?

I hope Toyota/Lexus gets to use some of them in future vehicles. That supercharged 5.0 would be great in a GS-F

Quick Reply: Is Sports is losing the battle to Fuel saving?