Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discover the New Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 03:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% of that junk mail goes in the trash and/or recycle bin, where it belongs.
Old 09-30-10, 03:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see what the question is here. That is standard advertising, that has taken place since the beginning of auto sales. Other than adding AWD, there is nothing new with the 350's power.

One thing you'll notice with Lexus ads, like many other brands, they spit out the same thing but disguised a few different ways. One example are their dealer newsletter emails. I get two sets of emails from five different dealers. They are all the same. What they do is change the dealer name and make it look as if the dealer created and sent it. But it actually comes from Lexus corporate, with the dealer's title interchanged. Kind of cheesy, but the avergage Joe probably doesn't notice.
I'm sure some would rather here this

"The 2011 IS, not as good handling as a 3 series, without the hp rating of the G37, with the backseat of the SC 430. The 2011 IS, bought by happy consumers, hated by internet fanbois"

Old 09-30-10, 03:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I'd like to get my hands on a 2011 IS 350 F Sport and then see how it stacks up to the 335is. The car has some revised suspension components and I'd like to see what they translate to on the road.

Plus...I think it's devilishly good looking

Old 09-30-10, 04:42 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Personally I'd like to get my hands on a 2011 IS 350 F Sport and then see how it stacks up to the 335is. The car has some revised suspension components and I'd like to see what they translate to on the road.

those look like the prev gen Infiniti M wheels.
Old 09-30-10, 04:45 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The new BMWs use the new N55 (single turbo), not the N54. I read a review in Bimmer mag and they said the N55 noticeably more lag than the N54 and that the N54 performed better. The paddle shifters on the Lexus are a joke as it feels like there is a long lag between the time you actually up/down shift and the tranny actually does anything.

I agree with Joeb's points though I'm not sure if the IS "can't touch" the 335i or not, I will say that the "feel" is very different between the two. How that feel translates into actual #s, I honestly don't know...
yup, and no manual in the 350 is a big fail.
Old 09-30-10, 04:55 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The new BMWs use the new N55 (single turbo), not the N54. I read a review in Bimmer mag and they said the N55 noticeably more lag than the N54 and that the N54 performed better. The paddle shifters on the Lexus are a joke as it feels like there is a long lag between the time you actually up/down shift and the tranny actually does anything.
I have an 09 335 and from what I hear the only advantage the N54 has over the N55 is the ability to tune it. C&D did a quick test and found the N55 just as good as N54 in stock version
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...dan-quick_test

Last edited by rheiy; 09-30-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 04:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
those look like the prev gen Infiniti M wheels.
They are modeled after the LFA.

Everytime I see a G37 I puke considering it looks like a bulbous GS and now they added GS 450h looking wheels.

Originally Posted by shyguy16
yup, and no manual in the 350 is a big fail.
Not really since the take rate would be very low and Lexus manuals are not exactly fantastic to shift. Its basically a bunch of internet banter "oh no manual" from a bunch of people that don't even drive a manual or wouldn't buy it anyway.

Old 09-30-10, 05:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not really since the take rate would be very low and Lexus manuals are not exactly fantastic to shift. Its basically a bunch of internet banter "oh no manual" from a bunch of people that don't even drive a manual or wouldn't buy it anyway.
LMFAO!

I used to do just that when I was a Honda fanboi (in my much younger years)
Old 09-30-10, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
LMFAO!

I used to do just that when I was a Honda fanboi (in my much younger years)
I mean geez, Ferrari will no longer offer manuals. I guess they suck

Old 09-30-10, 05:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Manuals are only cool when you're in late teens or early 20ies, and need to show off. But at that age, you can only afford a Civic, and only wish you could have a Lexus.

Once you're grown up, you realize how retarded you were when you were younger, and realize that manuals suck!

Old 09-30-10, 06:46 PM
Ethix
Driver

Manuals definitely offer a more fun driving experience. I don't know anybody who's owned a manual transmission car who wouldn't rather have one in terms of driving enjoyment. That doesn't mean they haven't moved on to Autos for the convenience or necessity, but that if they were given a car to take out for a drive on a mountain road, it would be a manual transmission.

That said, I understand why a car like the IS350 isn't sold in a manual. Most of the people that buy them would have no interest in a manual option. It's also why I don't see myself ever buying a 2IS.

Manual transmission for me please.

Old 09-30-10, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Other than adding AWD, there is nothing new with the 350's power.
That alone is an important issue. I understand the limits, sometimes, on funds available and the corporate budget....development money doesn't always grow on trees. But Lexus, especially in the PR ads like tho one you got, points out that the IS350 now has AWD, but fails to give an explanation of why it took 5 whole years, after the 2Gen model was introduced, for the 350 to get it. In fact, as I see it, given the 250's far less torque and lesser ability to handle the AWD's extra weight/drag, particularly with an automatic transmission, the 350 should have gotten it FIRST.

Oh, well.....auto marketers, of course, often don't make sense. That's nothing new.

Originally Posted by Ethix
That said, I understand why a car like the IS350 isn't sold in a manual. Most of the people that buy them would have no interest in a manual option.
I agree...I wouldn't either. But I live in an especially-bad traffic area, and there are others, in less-dense traffic areas, who WOULD, perhaps, like to see an IS350 manual, especially among those who had manual-transmission BMW competitors and got hit with poor reliability. Not that all BMWs, of course, are lemons, but their general reliability cannot match that of Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-10 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 10:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

I agree with you. 2IS is one of the best looking cars on the road. It gets me every time I see one on the road. such a beautiful car.

screw 335i. IMHO, it is a piece of junk with a bunch of issues. don't really care for it. Now, it's even worse with N55 motor.
Old 09-30-10, 10:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Manuals are only cool when you're in late teens or early 20ies, and need to show off. But at that age, you can only afford a Civic, and only wish you could have a Lexus.

Once you're grown up, you realize how retarded you were when you were younger, and realize that manuals suck!
If that's the case, then why are manuals so much more popular in Europe than they are here in America, even in mega-densely-populated cities like London, Paris, Berlin, and Rome? I'm sure, in Europe, it has to be more than just a simple factor of teen-age "coolness".
Old 09-30-10, 11:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethix
Manuals definitely offer a more fun driving experience. I don't know anybody who's owned a manual transmission car who wouldn't rather have one in terms of driving enjoyment. That doesn't mean they haven't moved on to Autos for the convenience or necessity, but that if they were given a car to take out for a drive on a mountain road, it would be a manual transmission.

That said, I understand why a car like the IS350 isn't sold in a manual. Most of the people that buy them would have no interest in a manual option. It's also why I don't see myself ever buying a 2IS.

Manual transmission for me please.

Obviously we've never met. After owning the IS F, I'll never buy another manual. And no, I'm not a hater. I've been driving a stick since I was 6 years old in the barnyard. That was 44 years ago. I also (see my sig photo) own a full manual hard top Supra. So, why would I never buy another manual? It's impossible to hurt the IS F. You can't lug it, you can't over-rev it even if you try to downshift into a gear which would fully overspeed the engine. It won't let you hurt it. It shifts faster than I've EVER been able to shift.

Add to this a spinal cord problem which makes it impossible for me to trust my left foot at track speed, and you've got a full recipe for why I'll never buy another manual. Besides, they're guaranteed slower to shift, and you don't DARE shift in mid-turn (which the IS F takes in stride).

Quick Reply: Discover the New Lexus IS350