Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Discover the New Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 03:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS diesel that they sell in Europe only had stick shift......and many say that it sucks. It was reported that many Lexus owners from the UK complained about fifth injector and EGR issues and a gearbox that was really problematic...

In the end, they ditched their IS diesels and got IS 250 SEL autos instead

Personally though, I'm in favor of scrapping stick shift option for the Lexus IS.
Old 10-02-10, 08:05 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Won't buy a manual? It's all I owned for 28 years. I still own one. Interesting you should say this. So I guess my experience roadracing motorcycles where I upshifted and occasionally downshifted without the clutch really makes me bad at driving a manual.

I guess you've never missed a gate on a shift, eh? Absolute perfection on every release of the clutch and never once a slight mismatch on downshift?

Tell you what, if it's all about FEEL, you need to buy a BMW and be happy. They're all about feel. When you decide you want to go fast and be in complete control, join the 21st century and get PDK, SMG, or whatever the manufacturer is calling the automated clutch system. You won't win against it if you're driving against someone of equal skill.

Oh, yeah, my original clutch in my Supra went 106k miles. Clearly I'm an incompetent manual driver...

hey, you're the one that brought up never buying a manual again because "It's impossible to hurt the IS F. You can't lug it, you can't over-rev it even if you try to downshift into a gear which would fully overspeed the engine. It won't let you hurt it. It shifts faster than I've EVER been able to shift."

it's never been a problem for me. i'm not a perfect driver but it'll take more than imperfect shifts to rid me of my manual. and before anyone brings up city traffic, i daily drive a manual in nyc.

again, driving stick is not about speed or quickness of shifting. not for me at least.

nope, driven a few bmw 3ers in manual. the shifter was too light and rubbery feeling for me.
best stick i've ever driven is the s2k.
Old 10-02-10, 08:06 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm tempted to delete this but why don't you explain what a typical rice rocket is and how exactly the IS 350 F sport package is like one.

Do tell

This thread seems to attract some really off the wall statements.
so any negative comment regarding toyotas make you wanna hit the delete button?
Old 10-02-10, 08:21 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for free speech, I don't really believe in deleting posts online that's ridiculous.

But that said, I mean let's be honest now, it's pretty clear that texan629 has a clear bias against japanese vehicles. Virtually 100% of his posts have been to argue against japanese vehicles. I think one or two times he's also argued against the M3 so he's likely not a german guy.

texan629 is simply one of your standard american car-loving "HURRR JAPENSE CARS = RICE" guys, which is totally fine, I have no problem with that.

I will say however that these days I ignore his posts because he doesn't offer a useful perspective on anything. texan629's perspective is almost utterly worthless because he's blindly biased against a certain class of vehicle for which he has no good, objective reason to be biased against.

I'm pretty impressed with texan629 because usually when I encounter individuals who make screen names on "rival" forums for the sole purpose of igniting flames, they usually (at least the ones I've encountered) have something useful or insightful to say every once in a while. texan629, however, has said exactly 0 useful/insightful/bias-free things on these forums which is pretty impressive. You have to really show a level of almost cult-like fanaticism to achieve that.

Pretty impressive. No offense to texan629, I'm sure he's a great person. Nevertheless, every time he posts, I automatically disregard everything he has to say because he hasn't given me a good reason to take anything he says seriously.
Old 10-02-10, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
so any negative comment regarding toyotas make you wanna hit the delete button?
No, you are are assuming things again trying to stir the pot again. For one he is talking about the LEXUS IS 350. Not sure what Toyota is being discussed here?

Please use the multi-quote feature to the right instead of stacking posts.

Now, read below.carLx summed it up brilliantly in a mature fashion.

BTW in your debate with lobuxracer what manual car(s) do you drive out of curiosity?

Originally Posted by carLx
I'm all for free speech, I don't really believe in deleting posts online that's ridiculous.

But that said, I mean let's be honest now, it's pretty clear that texan629 has a clear bias against japanese vehicles. Virtually 100% of his posts have been to argue against japanese vehicles. I think one or two times he's also argued against the M3 so he's likely not a german guy.

texan629 is simply one of your standard american car-loving "HURRR JAPENSE CARS = RICE" guys, which is totally fine, I have no problem with that.

I will say however that these days I ignore his posts because he doesn't offer a useful perspective on anything. texan629's perspective is almost utterly worthless because he's blindly biased against a certain class of vehicle for which he has no good, objective reason to be biased against.

I'm pretty impressed with texan629 because usually when I encounter individuals who make screen names on "rival" forums for the sole purpose of igniting flames, they usually (at least the ones I've encountered) have something useful or insightful to say every once in a while. texan629, however, has said exactly 0 useful/insightful/bias-free things on these forums which is pretty impressive. You have to really show a level of almost cult-like fanaticism to achieve that.

Pretty impressive. No offense to texan629, I'm sure he's a great person. Nevertheless, every time he posts, I automatically disregard everything he has to say because he hasn't given me a good reason to take anything he says seriously.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-02-10 at 08:57 PM.

Old 10-02-10, 11:51 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny when guys come around talking crap about Japanese cars, then say things like they're rice rockets, when in reality he loves the styling of the IS and wishes GM would make their boxy Caddy's look that way. I guess he doesn't realize the new GM Buick's are really rebadged German Opel's. And that new Chevy Cruze? Better look to Europe for that one. That Pontiac G8? Australian. Funny thing is half if not 3 quarters of the American cars you see aren't even American designed. That is besides their Pick-ups!