Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: R8 5.2 v V12 Vantage v 911 Turbo S v 458 Italia v SLS - SPOILER

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 02:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo S 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, now that's motorcycle-like.
Old 10-02-10, 03:04 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
In the rankings, they docked the 458 15 points on price alone compared to the Turbo S
It's kinda justified though. The price difference would get you a GT-R and a Prius to boot!
Old 10-02-10, 03:36 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
It's kinda justified though. The price difference would get you a GT-R and a Prius to boot!
It's not justified at all; in fact, I'd say it completely ruins the overall ranking. What truly is the difference pricewise between a $160,000 Turbo S and a $270,000 458? Those are both seriously expensive cars to begin with. Is a buyer set on the 458 really going to choose the Turbo S because he can buy an additional GTR and a Prius instead? The notion is ridiculous.

To put it into perspective, the price category factored into the final ranking far more than any other category. For example, the price of the 458 factored into the overall rankings 50% more than the difference between the Porsche's insane acceleration figures and the comparatively sluggish acceleration of the V12 Vantage, which C+D tested slower than even an IS-F. In other words, C+D feels that the price difference between a 458 and a Turbo S is far more relevant than the difference in acceleration between a 458 and my IS-F. Seriously? Even worse, the 458's price factored in six times more than objective handling figures, and a similar amount nearly across the board for other subjective dynamic ratings.

Most car ratings by score are silly because numbers cannot measure a car's dynamics - not to mention a lot of C+D's other categories here are pretty dumb too, like rear seat space, or any of their many totally subjective ratings. But factoring price into the relative ranking of these cars more than any other factor - and often, several times more than any other factor - just makes the ranking meaningless. Let's save price/value rankings for Parents Magazine and minivans. For supercars, a focus on performance and vehicle dynamics would be nice.

Of course, if C+D was making a point about the 458's absurdly low base price and exorbitant options list for anything more than spartan features...
Old 10-02-10, 04:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
It's not justified at all; in fact, I'd say it completely ruins the overall ranking. What truly is the difference pricewise between a $160,000 Turbo S and a $270,000 458? Those are both seriously expensive cars to begin with. Is a buyer set on the 458 really going to choose the Turbo S because he can buy an additional GTR and a Prius instead? The notion is ridiculous.

To put it into perspective, the price category factored into the final ranking far more than any other category. For example, the price of the 458 factored into the overall rankings 50% more than the difference between the Porsche's insane acceleration figures and the comparatively sluggish acceleration of the V12 Vantage, which C+D tested slower than even an IS-F. In other words, C+D feels that the price difference between a 458 and a Turbo S is far more relevant than the difference in acceleration between a 458 and my IS-F. Seriously? Even worse, the 458's price factored in six times more than objective handling figures, and a similar amount nearly across the board for other subjective dynamic ratings.

Most car ratings by score are silly because numbers cannot measure a car's dynamics - not to mention a lot of C+D's other categories here are pretty dumb too, like rear seat space, or any of their many totally subjective ratings. But factoring price into the relative ranking of these cars more than any other factor - and often, several times more than any other factor - just makes the ranking meaningless. Let's save price/value rankings for Parents Magazine and minivans. For supercars, a focus on performance and vehicle dynamics would be nice.

Of course, if C+D was making a point about the 458's absurdly low base price and exorbitant options list for anything more than spartan features...
Great post. C&D is horrible, period and they simply ride the sheep to subscriptions. It disgusts me to see a fine publication like Sports Car International couldn't sell enough but this trash mag continues with their ridiculous summaries and articles.

Who the hell cross shops a 458 and 911 S? No one. The 458 shouldn't be docked for price against a car that is not its competition.

Old 10-02-10, 04:18 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

From the side view Aston Martin looks the best.
Old 10-02-10, 04:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fugly? I agree it is not as sharp-looking as the gorgeous 190/300 SL of the 1950s, but it was the classic 50's-vintage SL models that clearly influenced it.

Love that car you posted ^^^, the original Mercedes gullwing, but the SLS's snout is just hideous, enough to make the car look fugly overall for me ......
Old 10-02-10, 05:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imho:

5. R8 5.2
4. SLS
3. V12 Vantage
2. 458 Italia
1. 911 Turbo S

Not much I would change in the rankings.

I've actually seen the Italia a couple times on the highway up here during the past month. It's a beautiful car that performs well....BUT...911 TTS FTMFW!!

I will own a 997TT at some point in the, hopefully, not to distant future.
Old 10-02-10, 07:46 PM
Anon1210
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Ranked in overall desire and sense-of-occasion machine induces.

1) 2011 458 Italia
2) 2011 Mercedes SLS
3) 2011 Aston Martin V12 Vantage
4) 2010 Audi R8
5) 2011 Porsche 911

I find the Ferrari and the Benz to be the two most hideous of the group. But there's no denying that both are crafted in a higher fashion than the others. From the driver-focused cockpit of the ferrari to all the little exquisite charms in the interior of the SLS, both these machines seem special in a way the other three just can't manage. More bespoke Lexus LF-A than factory-pumped Porsche, if you will.

Next, without the incredible allure of the best Ferrari and Mercedes have to offer, the appeal of pure sexy design draws your focus. And in that regard, the Aston is far and away in the lead, stalked distantly by the R8.

Last but surely not least, the new Turbo. Perhaps the best bang for buck car here. Perhaps the best performance and perhaps the one that will give you the least problems over the miles. "Surely if you were buying with your own money, you'd take the Turbo?", you could ask. Perhaps. But what's the point of ranking cars in that fashion; rationalizing to fit our realities. Supercars are about fantasy so let us dream. And in my dreams, it's the 458 that sits in my garage.

And regardless of what the writers may have to say in text, judging by this 1st photo in the gallery, I think the C&D staff know which cars are truly special. Perhaps they're counting on us enthusiasts to read between the lines.

Last edited by Anon1210; 10-02-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 07:32 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
Turbo S 0-60 in 2.7 seconds

...WOW.
i know im old...but damn. i remember being impressed by corvettes that got to 60 in the low 6 sec range.

unbelievable...
Old 10-03-10, 09:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Everyone has an opinion. For me it would be 1. Vantage 2. R8 3. 458 4. 911 5. SLS
Mine:
1. Porsche 911 turbo S
1. AM Vantage
3. Audi R8
4. SLS
5. 458
Old 10-03-10, 09:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...Who the hell cross shops a 458 and 911 S? No one. The 458 shouldn't be docked for price against a car that is not its competition.
BINGO!!!!