Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB S250 CDI: One big major paradox

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 10:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I can only say as a fact that I personally am clearly not in the "target market" for this S250. "The advantage of this technology is that it delivers high torque at low engine speeds, while fuel consumption is reduced. Pricing starts at €71,876 ($95,942)"
at 95K US, it is still the cheapest in the lineup. An S500 (our S550) starts at €97,282 which is $134,xxx. Not only are you saving fuel, you are also saving 40 thousand dollars US
Old 10-03-10, 11:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
I thought S-classes always had 2.8L 6-cyl option in Eurasia (S280). If this makes similar torque, I don't see why not.
Yeah, I just learned about it today as well.

However, it's alright with me because the engine is a V6 (yes the M272 engine is still six-cylinder).

But for this S250 CDI.............I'm still not sure or that I'm still not convinced.

It will be the FIRST of the W221 to get a four-banger. While >99% of the rest will six-cylinder, eight cylinder and twelve-cylinder.

I really can't fathom atm on an S-class four-banger. If I wanted Fuel economy, I would've gotten an S350 L (the most common in the region).....or if I needed more, then an S280/S300. If I need diesel, S350 CDI (the base diesel model) is enough for me. At least those have six cylinders.

I still can't conceptualize the existence of a four-banger S class. I mean, look at BMW (the F01/F02 7 series all have V6 and above). Their smallest engine is 730D and 730I. Still six cylinders. Same with Audi, nothing below six cylinders.

Heck, the Lexus has at least eight cylinder engines (although there is rumors that next-gen will have six-cylinder variant). Still no four bangers here.

So I ask MB: Why? and what for?

If you need environment, there is the S400 Hybrid (and S300 Bluetec Diesel hybrid.......though that's still concept model). If you need fuel savings, there S 350 petrol/gas, S 350 CDI and S280/S300

So what exactly is this for anyways?!?!?!?

My fear is that four banger will not have as much refinement as the six-cylinder engines and above (unless the W221 has enough NVH to shut out the added noise and vibration). Remember, these people who hunt for these cars are elite. They may be pissed off if their dream-on-wheels emits the sound and chatter of a pickup truck.

Furthermore, I can't see it as appropriate either. It's competition has six-cylinders and above........and MB decides to do a four banger on it. High-class vehicle but lower class approach(?)

I mean, we just launched the E250 CDI here in the Philippines which is still with appropriateness because it's an E-class (other sedan models sold here are E300, E250 CGI then the E63 AMG)

But for an S-class?!?!?!? I still can't comprehend

With that said, I really can't see the point of this model either. Maybe those who win this car as a raffle or a jackpot (maybe your an average family who can only afford limited fuel expenses and just won this car as a prize).

But for those who would consider buying this??? I guess MB is allowing the experience of flagship luxury to be experienced by poor people then (sorry if that remark is elitist).

So yeah, I'm still not convinced of the need for an S250 CDI (unless someone can change my mind)

P.S.
Personally though, if I were to buy W221 S-class, I'd consider top three variants:

1) S63 AMG/S65 AMG
2) S 400 Hybrid
3) S 350 L (because there is no waiting time for this)

Old 10-03-10, 01:42 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
My fear is that four banger will not have as much refinement as the six-cylinder engines and above (unless the W221 has enough NVH to shut out the added noise and vibration).

I wouldn't be worried about refinement. This is more or less a new engine from MB that has been reworked for duty in the S class, so expect that the refinement aspect has also been taken into consideration and appropriately modified.

My wife's parents have a Mercedes B class diesel (not sure what model, though) and I've often ridden in it as a passenger. The motor is relatively quiet and in terms of idling and vibration it seems very smooth and refined to me. Now, this is a B class we're talking about. Get my gist?

Plus, I'd expect this S class to have extra sound-deadening materials inside the engine bay as well as behind the cockpit fascia. I've ridden in a V6 diesel S class before and those things are very quiet inside. I expect no less for this S250 CDI.
Old 10-03-10, 07:36 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I don't think the number of cylinders matters...just the torque that the engine can produce.

As long as the S-class continues to mask most of the engine noise, I don't think the target market will care.
Old 10-03-10, 07:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
you cant deny that buying an S250 is "better" for the environment than buying an S65amg can you?
You burn less oil. The oil burnt transporting the oil to you to be burnt is also reduced. Admirable.
Old 10-04-10, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by superchan7
I don't think the number of cylinders matters...just the torque that the engine can produce.

As long as the S-class continues to mask most of the engine noise, I don't think the target market will care.
It matters tons. For example a 210hp V-8 Town car is far smoother and more refined than a 200 or so hp I-4 TSX or a 200 or so hp V-6 IS 250.

Old 10-04-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different engines for different markets, this config would not do well in North American market.
Old 10-04-10, 04:44 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my SC430 because it got bad gas MPG and bought a Jetta TDI. Sucks because it's not as nice (at all) but there where NO nice luxury cars for a desent price that got good milage.

I'm sick of spending huge $$$ on fuel.
Old 10-04-10, 07:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loveslexus
I sold my SC430 because it got bad gas MPG and bought a Jetta TDI. Sucks because it's not as nice (at all) but there where NO nice luxury cars for a desent price that got good milage.

I'm sick of spending huge $$$ on fuel.
Thus, I think that the MKZ hybrid will do well.
Old 10-04-10, 10:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

there might be big price difference in europe, so people might buy it actually... so much for "cheap" lexuses eh?