Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB S250 CDI: One big major paradox

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 05:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MB S250 CDI: One big major paradox

Okay, but seriously, is a four cylinder engine really appropriate for this class of car and vehicle category???

I mean, I have no doubts whether a four cylinder diesel engine can move the car. I mean, it looks like it is capable (and can even send this vehicle from 0-100 km/h in 8.2 seconds and reach top speed of 240 km/h). It's just that for a car aimed at rich people (i.e. businessmen, CEOs, heads of government, politicians, famous celebrities, oil tycoons, moguls, etc.), isn't it weird or ironic that their "powerful steed" is powered by an engine that is.................

So who's the target market here actually? I know that automotive taxes and surcharges are high in Europe.......but are they that steep to warrant a four cylinder S-class? Why not S350? There is also S320 CDI for those who want a diesel......and it's still a six-cylinder. There is also S280/S300 which is the entry-level petrol/gasoline version and is still a six-cylinder engine.

So I'm kinda puzzled why there is a need at all for S250 CDI (even in Europe amidst their high taxes, duties, etc.)........

If I were to guess, I'm thinking that MB will market this as the cheapest priced S-class in the range. So yeah, S class that poor people can now even afford lol .

Or maybe for millionaires and billionaires.......who *think* they need to save on fuel expenses :P

Maybe someone can answer me and explain/enlighten me
Old 10-02-10, 10:27 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll be a hit on the taxi fleets.
Old 10-02-10, 10:39 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought S-classes always had 2.8L 6-cyl option in Eurasia (S280). If this makes similar torque, I don't see why not.
Old 10-02-10, 10:53 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

your reasoning is why we wont see cars like this here in the US. Im all for driving an all powerful S class, but I give a lot of credit to those who are willing to do something for the planet (and their wallets).
Old 10-02-10, 11:11 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

An S class is still an S class regardless of the engine under the hood. In no way will this car be any less luxurious than say an S550 except for the fact that it's powered by a more economical engine. And this new S250 CDI outperforms the old turbodiesel S classes in performance and fuel economy. These diesel S classes were sold in the US and they didn't damage the reputation of the S class I should add (my parents had an 300SD Turbodiesel W126 at one point, great car). In Europe the S350 CDI is the bestseller as it combines both power and fuel economy in one very appealing package. Based on the success of the S350 CDI, I think the S250 CDI will be equally successful. And the price for the S250 CDI isn't "cheap". That's quite a sum of money you have to pay there to enjoy this car.

There are plenty of people who just want the luxury but don't want or need excessive power (or fuel-inefficient cars). I suppose this car speaks to me for example. If I were to buy an S class, I'd be more interested in the luxury aspect and not performance. I don't care about hitting 60 in under six seconds. I don't care about racing on the street and I certainly don't care about what other people say behind my back for selecting such a vehicle.

It also makes perfect sense for hotels who use such cars as shuttle services. The economical engine means overall fuel costs are low - and I seriously doubt the person in the back will in any way feel inferior just because he's in an S250 CDI. He's in an S class. Period.

Taxi duty isn't really the market for the S class here. You'll see them around sometimes, but the majority of cabs here are the old W210 and W211 E classes (some new W212s as well) and a lot of B classes.
Old 10-02-10, 11:55 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
your reasoning is why we wont see cars like this here in the US. Im all for driving an all powerful S class, but I give a lot of credit to those who are willing to do something for the planet (and their wallets).
**rolls eyes, and wishes who could meet the people who started the propaganda**
Old 10-02-10, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If I were to guess, I'm thinking that MB will market this as the cheapest priced S-class in the range. So yeah, S class that poor people can now even afford lol .
I think lowering the base price with this engine will definitely net a few extra sales
Old 10-02-10, 03:26 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
If it sells, what can be wrong with that?
Old 10-02-10, 03:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
you cant deny that buying an S250 is "better" for the environment than buying an S65amg can you?
Old 10-02-10, 04:07 PM
LexFather

Its German so it gets a pass. If Lexus offered a 4 cylinder LS the internet would be bashing Lexus to death. Nothing new here.

The S class has always offered smaller engines than the LS and people buy them in Europe. They know they can't pull that stunt in America b/c they would be laughed off the shores.

I'm indifferent to this, one one hand I think it is UTTERLY LAME and on the other hand if there is a market for it I say why not.
We know about the luxury market has CHANGED the last ten years. We have exotic Lexus, Hyundai luxury cars and Audi A1 sub sub sub sub subcompacts.

Me, no way in flaming hell I'm driving a 4 cylinder S-class. Not my bag baby.

Old 10-02-10, 05:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

We have S450 in Canada, but I won't even touch that. If I get a S-class, I want the S550 at least

But if they have demand in Europe and Asia, nothing wrong with offering that.
I was in a BMW 730 taxi in London this past July, it's a pretty nice ride even as a passenger.
Old 10-02-10, 06:42 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Asia loves these.
Old 10-02-10, 08:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
you cant deny that buying an S250 is "better" for the environment than buying an S65amg can you?

I think the number of S65 amgs that are built and sold vs the number of these things that will be rolling around will pretty much produce the same amount of emissions during the models lifetime.

p.d. I think the earth/environment could give f'k all. We all disappear tomorrow and the earth would work itself out in very short order.

Let me not drag this thread into a greenie debate. That'll be all thanks.
Old 10-02-10, 09:46 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not gonna knock them for making the car. More options, more variety can never be a bad thing.

As a personal decision, however, I'd never buy a Mercedes S250. If I'm going to get an S-class, it's going to be at least the S550 (or above - S600 or 65 AMG). That's just me though, there isn't a "right answer" to this by any means.

I can only say as a fact that I personally am clearly not in the "target market" for this S250. "The advantage of this technology is that it delivers high torque at low engine speeds, while fuel consumption is reduced. Pricing starts at €71,876 ($95,942)"

Really...no thanks.

Based on that price, I think it's reasonable to say that savings at the gas pump due to gas mileage are not going to be a "plus" for the S250. When you are dropping nearly $100,000 on a car, I highly doubt that a few hundred pitiful dollars per year in savings is going to be a big deal to you.

That leads me to believe that the purpose of the S250 is purely to be a "green" car intended for the unselfish buyer who takes a strong interest in saving the environment. I say hats off to them, but I am simply not that kind of person. I'm not that unselfish. I'll fully admit that my desire to drive a vehicle with reasonably strong acceleration (by my standards - 0 to 60 in 8.2 is swift but not swift enough for me) far outweighs any guilt I might feel from driving a relatively (relative to the S250) fuel in-efficient, non-green car.

If I were on the design team for a concept "ultra fuel efficient, ultra green flagship luxury sedan" I would strongly suggest that the vehicle use non-permanent means for fuel efficiency and staying "green." Cylinder deactivation/variable displacement technology is a great example of this. Have some sort of option to reduce displacement and, therefore, increase fuel economy/reduce emissions - but make sure it's just that, an option.

I'm not too familiar with cylinder deactivation/variable displacement technology. From my cursory introduction via wikipedia, it seems like it's a promising technology that simply needs more time to be refined -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_displacement

"Although the attempts to use variable displacement technology failed in the past, automakers have been able to overcome the problems that occurred using new advancements in computers. With computers this fast cylinder deactivation and reactivation occur almost instantly.[9]

After the price of oil surged in 2008, consumers were looking for a more fuel efficient car without sacrificing peak power. This has led many manufacturers to put variable displacement controls into their cars, especially those with V8's installed.

It is also possible to alter the engine's displacement by shortening or lengthening the stroke of the pistons, thereby changing the actual cylinder displacement, rather than simply deactivating and sealing off cylinders. [10] There are no production vehicles that use this design, however."

I'd be all for that type of technology in an S class. You can drive "green" with tremendous fuel efficiency when you want at the flick of a button, but you always have the option of unleashing all 380 horses whenever you feel like it.
Old 10-02-10, 09:51 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

in a lot of countries such as some asian ones, insurance and tax rates are based on the engine displacement

also import taxes and such are so hefty on imported luxury cars already, an S250 CDI in asia may end up costing the same as S550 here in US

Quick Reply: MB S250 CDI: One big major paradox