Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus styling the worst

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 02:52 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus styling the worst

In the latest C&D, Toyota/Lexus received a D+ in styling by Phil Patton, a teacher at the School of Visual Arts in NY and automobile-design writer for the NY Times.

Honda/Acura finished second to last with a C- with the only A going to Jaguar/Land Rover.

And for all you self-proclaimed design experts out there: Kia got an A- and Hyundai a B+.

Before you start whining, turn to the next article and read page 33 of the November 2010 issue of C&D. There's an article on "How to Deal with your Car Losing a C/D Comparo."
Old 10-02-10, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting, but subjective....
Old 10-02-10, 03:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I predict a 10-page thread within a few hours....

Phil Patton must be high as hell if he gave Acura a better score than Lexus..
Old 10-02-10, 03:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sorta agree.

Toyota does cater to the masses who want vanilla. Vanilla. Toyota is happy to go to the bank selling vanilla. The business strategy works.

It's function over form. As much as we want form over function, people buy cars for functional practicality.

BTW: Mr. Patton has a long LONG history of disliking Toyota. His opinion is but one of several published designers. One designer does not represent the dozens of others who like Toyota's designs...
Old 10-02-10, 03:12 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

What are the grades for other automobile manufacturers?

Was Ssangyong awarded a grade?
Old 10-02-10, 03:15 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DustinV
What are the grades for other automobile manufacturers?

Was Ssangyong awarded a grade?
Only the major manufacturers that sell in the U.S. were represented. If Ssangyong were given a grade, an F- would be generous.
Old 10-02-10, 03:50 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that Jaguar got an A - presumably largely on the back of the XF, a car whose designer, Ian Callum, referenced Lexus' design direction as a template for Jaguar to follow and produced a car with many similarities to the Lexus GS.
Old 10-02-10, 03:58 PM
LexFather

Everyone, again, we should all trade in and sell our Lexus b/c they are ugly, slow, copies that are unreliable, unluxurious and quite possibly the worst vehicles sold. What are we thinking!

Originally Posted by madoka
In the latest C&D, Toyota/Lexus received a D+ in styling by Phil Patton, a teacher at the School of Visual Arts in NY and automobile-design writer for the NY Times.

Honda/Acura finished second to last with a C- with the only A going to Jaguar/Land Rover.

And for all you self-proclaimed design experts out there: Kia got an A- and Hyundai a B+.

Before you start whining, turn to the next article and read page 33 of the November 2010 issue of C&D. There's an article on "How to Deal with your Car Losing a C/D Comparo."
Wow, more flame bait. Thanks

Styling is subjective. C&D HATES Toyota/Lexus with a passion, from the moronic editor Alterman down.

Acura ahead of ANYONE lets me know they are smoking crack.

I can link articles and reviews where "experts" like Lexus styling but I don't intend to make this pissing match

Glad Kia/Hyundai joined the 21st century after all these years. Still the models are simply mimics of other cars/brands. How exciting.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I predict a 10-page thread within a few hours....

Phil Patton must be high as hell if he gave Acura a better score than Lexus..
I got $20 on 5 pages And yes Patton is smoking rocks as well as their designers and anyone that buys one.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I sorta agree.

Toyota does cater to the masses who want vanilla. Vanilla. Toyota is happy to go to the bank selling vanilla. The business strategy works.

It's function over form. As much as we want form over function, people buy cars for functional practicality.

BTW: Mr. Patton has a long LONG history of disliking Toyota. His opinion is but one of several published designers. One designer does not represent the dozens of others who like Toyota's designs...
This/Thread. I surely wont defend Toyota styling. Lexus is far better (though not perfect either).

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Interesting that Jaguar got an A - presumably largely on the back of the XF, a car whose designer, Ian Callum, referenced Lexus' design direction as a template for Jaguar to follow and produced a car with many similarities to the Lexus GS.
This. Please Andy, don't bring this up. You know no one copies Lexus, Lexus copies everyone

Old 10-02-10, 04:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I don't care what these self-proclaimed so-called experts think and say, especially those idiots from C&D. In my eyes Lexus design are among the best, if not the best. Toyota design are bland but still good and acceptable looking, unlike something from BMW like 6-series which is downright hideous. Lexus designs are A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++, while most Toyota designs are at least B. Jaguar and Land Rover? Hahahahahaha. All automakers have something good looking and something not so good, so you can't just generalize a company's design. They better grade the design model by model rather than a whole brand. To me BMW designs are so polarizing, some very handsome while the rest are murdering my eyes. Audi's design is pretty good, but all the vehicles have the same look, so I can't tell if it is a A4 or A5 or A6 from my rearview mirror. M-B cars are pretty even across the lineup, but just nothing really jumps out except probably the SLS, which is unique but by no means great looking. Even Ferrari's newest 458 Italia is not as good as F430 in my opinion because that car looks too cartoonish. Seriously Lexus design is my favorite right now.
Old 10-02-10, 05:17 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

where did mercedes come in here?
Old 10-02-10, 05:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one more completely ghey thread referencing Kia/Hyundai.

Apparently if they received an A- and B+ the criteria must have been for copying every other car manufacturer out there....hence why Lexus received such low grades.
Old 10-02-10, 05:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Life is too short to read ghey publications
Old 10-02-10, 05:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Madoka,

This would have been a good discussion topic if you had not posted it with the intention of baiting for arguments with your title "Toyota/Lexus styling the worst" and the bolded parts above.

I'm closing this thread and asking you not to take this approach in the future. Discuss the article without posting it with the intent to anger other CL members.