Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(yet) another dealership salesman story

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 02:22 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

first of all, congrats Henry on the baby !!

my wife & i went to that Benz dealership as well, we test drove the ML & R350, ML is ...err...the 2nd row is small, a minute I push the chair to the back, there is not much space left, almost felt like my 2GS back seat.

R350 space is good, I know it's a van, but it's a BENZ VAN

I agreed about the Benz salesman on that dealer, we probably got the same salesman, he even make fun of Toyota/Lexus quality. It's totally turned me off right away.

Is X'mas time ( the end of the year ) would be better time to get a car ?

Good luck finding SUV, Henry
Old 10-05-10, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are overbuying dude. You can get a Honda Fit and be perfectly happy. It has Vtach and it sits 5 and is fast according to commercials.

Henry Cayenne prices are not too bad you know, have you looked at those. Of course adding things gets you there but they got some great finance rates as well.
lol mike, your humor is coming out again, stop it!

cayenne is definitely another contender. my wife isn't a fan of it (by looking at pics) but we probably will take a look as well. porsche 1.9% is gone end of sept. no idea what they have now though...

Originally Posted by primecut
All this and you didn't even get to the price negotiations yet. Sigh. Experiences like this is why I always use an auto broker nowadays. I still have to go to the dealer to look at the cars myself, but at least I don't have to worry about having to deal with these people once I decide on which car I want.

Looking young def. plays a factor. I have a hard time getting a test drive for anything more expensive than a Yaris!
lol no kidding. i didn't even get to ask what color they have in stock, if at all, haha...

Originally Posted by masboy
first of all, congrats Henry on the baby !!

my wife & i went to that Benz dealership as well, we test drove the ML & R350, ML is ...err...the 2nd row is small, a minute I push the chair to the back, there is not much space left, almost felt like my 2GS back seat.

R350 space is good, I know it's a van, but it's a BENZ VAN

I agreed about the Benz salesman on that dealer, we probably got the same salesman, he even make fun of Toyota/Lexus quality. It's totally turned me off right away.

Is X'mas time ( the end of the year ) would be better time to get a car ?

Good luck finding SUV, Henry
i am never turned on by the r class. to me the car just doesn't make much sense. if i get that one, i would have gotten the sienna long ago (everything considered) for much cheaper

from what i see, everyone is hurting to sell cars these days. it was sunday when we went to bmw and mb. there were NO customers at the dealership. for a sunday, that's very sad. the way i see it is deals are everywhere you just have to get it
Old 10-05-10, 05:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And here is me forgetting to say "congrats" on the bay on the way.

I looked at the X5, but it was just too small for what we want.
Old 10-05-10, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
And here is me forgetting to say "congrats" on the bay on the way.

I looked at the X5, but it was just too small for what we want.
thank you dave really appreciate it going to be quite some journey

seeing that you are getting escalade, for sure the x5 is too small! too bad they don't have lx570 over there, that would be nice!
Old 10-05-10, 10:28 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not trying to side with the MB guy, but maybe the dealership was busy, and the old dude was waiting for his appointment, and receptionist paged the old dude. he tried to size you up quickly, but maybe his appointment did show up... who knows, but definitely not worth complaining about to the GM. Did you go on Saturday? Saturdays are always busy.
Old 10-06-10, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
not trying to side with the MB guy, but maybe the dealership was busy, and the old dude was waiting for his appointment, and receptionist paged the old dude. he tried to size you up quickly, but maybe his appointment did show up... who knows, but definitely not worth complaining about to the GM. Did you go on Saturday? Saturdays are always busy.
lol, read #32 it was sunday yes, but there were only 2 cars on the guest parking, one me, one another couple with an s class. no one else even walking on the lot. inside the dealership, no one else beside us and the other couple

they could be busy, but i don't think it gave him any excuse for questioning my financial status
Old 10-06-10, 12:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Great read. I think we have all been in your boat at one point or another and can relate. Interestingly, I never get tired of reading about someone's car buying experience. Not sure why that is.
My bad experience was at BMW, when I could not get a salesperson to help me. But I was young, so I wasn't too surprised.
Having worked in retail for 20 years now, I have learned a lot. There are reasons salespeople act the way they do, but that does not make it right. A good saleperson will know how to deal with all types- the tire knockers and the serious customers- in a positive and rewarding way for both sides.
Old 10-06-10, 05:35 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
thank you dave really appreciate it going to be quite some journey

seeing that you are getting escalade, for sure the x5 is too small! too bad they don't have lx570 over there, that would be nice!
If they had the LX570 here I would have jumped on it , even thought the looks are not as good as the lade. This will probably end up as my commuter and I am prepared for all the problems it may have.
Old 10-06-10, 01:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

every dealership has its rotten apples.

no need to be offended.

i heard a story once- a dude walked into the benz dealership with K-mart clothes and negotiated a killer cash price on a car because the salesman didn't believe he could pay for it. Came back an hour later with cash in hand.
Salesman was like O_O !!

forget about customer service. You can't expect it these days. I'd rather walk in with beat up looking clothes and maybe get a great deal. I couldn't care less about lip service
Old 10-06-10, 10:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

hahhaa, from our experience so far, the x5 is definitely far better.

since you have the 2007 4.8, can you tell me more about the car? how do you like it? problems? how's the gas mileage?

i think our choices is somewhat limited, mainly because my wife is only 5' tall, so height of car can be a problem. we tried the lx and for sure it's too high. gx is borderline, it's higher than x5. x5 is close to what she feels comfortable now. q7 is too high in that sense too.

after much consideration, i think we are down to x5 or rx350. i know, it's very very different choices. x5 is heavier, more sturdy, not as good on gas, more powerful (reliability is bmw, though from what i have read/heard, current gen has been pretty solid since 2007). rx350 is lighter, better gas, not much fun driving at all, better audio

umm....... and my wife's tummy is getting bigger every day!
My brother just got a RX350 like last month and I had a chance to spend sometime with the car. RX is a solid choice because he hates driving, and don't care much about cars. But I couldnt see myself driving one. It just wasn't for me.

But trust me, knowing you, you are going to be much happier with the X5. I did 120+mph on the freeway and the car is as stable as a rock. It's not like you are going to haul your baby and do 120 but just saying.
Old 10-07-10, 12:41 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
My brother just got a RX350 like last month and I had a chance to spend sometime with the car. RX is a solid choice because he hates driving, and don't care much about cars. But I couldnt see myself driving one. It just wasn't for me.

But trust me, knowing you, you are going to be much happier with the X5. I did 120+mph on the freeway and the car is as stable as a rock. It's not like you are going to haul your baby and do 120 but just saying.
Lol. The RX isn't as bad as you're making it out to be Stig.

Henry, it really comes down to who's going to be driving the SUV more? If you're going to primarily drive your M3 and wifey is going to drive the SUV, the ML or RX may be the better choice.

Just my experience, but my wife loved her RX and prefers her current ML to my X5. I get what Stig is saying however....the X5 is definitely more the "driver's" vehicle.

You are correct in that the 3rd row in the X5 is a joke. If the 3rd row really matters the GL has the best ones. Neither the X5 nor ML will come close to the reliability of the RX if that matters. The maintenance on the ML is also very high compared to the RX or BMW's "free" program.

Btw, if you do decide on the X5....diesel FTW!
Old 10-07-10, 05:17 AM
LexFather

I also am a huge fan of the X5 as I've stated before. I love how the ML looks. The RX appeals to me with the usual Lexus sensibilities.

I've never had a good Benz experience either. NEVER. Its like I wear a huge shirt saying "ignore me". At least their driving events are a lot better.

My BMW experiences have been hit or miss.

My Lexus experience tend to be much better, even if I visit a dealership out of town. There is one dealership I wouldn't touch with gloves on though.

Surely you want a Crossturd or ZDX. You don't know what you are missing.

Old 10-07-10, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Lol. The RX isn't as bad as you're making it out to be Stig.

Henry, it really comes down to who's going to be driving the SUV more? If you're going to primarily drive your M3 and wifey is going to drive the SUV, the ML or RX may be the better choice.

Just my experience, but my wife loved her RX and prefers her current ML to my X5. I get what Stig is saying however....the X5 is definitely more the "driver's" vehicle.

You are correct in that the 3rd row in the X5 is a joke. If the 3rd row really matters the GL has the best ones. Neither the X5 nor ML will come close to the reliability of the RX if that matters. The maintenance on the ML is also very high compared to the RX or BMW's "free" program.

Btw, if you do decide on the X5....diesel FTW!
lol, i will just say that my wife is more of a driver type of person keep in mind, the m3 is her car

but i most definitely understand and agree with a lot of what you said!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I also am a huge fan of the X5 as I've stated before. I love how the ML looks. The RX appeals to me with the usual Lexus sensibilities.

I've never had a good Benz experience either. NEVER. Its like I wear a huge shirt saying "ignore me". At least their driving events are a lot better.

My BMW experiences have been hit or miss.

My Lexus experience tend to be much better, even if I visit a dealership out of town. There is one dealership I wouldn't touch with gloves on though.

Surely you want a Crossturd or ZDX. You don't know what you are missing.
lol zdx, i should bring her to check out the car. maybe i can take a picture of how she looks when she sees it
Old 10-07-10, 09:27 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry, just drove a Sequoia... I am SOLD!!! Fast, nice, HUGE inside, can tow a TON.

Only drawbacks are it may be a bit high for the Missus and it is BIG. I thought the handling was fine for what it is

Food for thought...

Russ
Old 10-07-10, 09:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vespa with baby carriage sidecar.

NO HELMETS!!!

Quick Reply: (yet) another dealership salesman story