Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(yet) another dealership salesman story

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 12:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the X5 if I had the $. I had an ML for a loaner car and liked it. With our kids more grown up, the 3rd row seats and extra space is not as important to us.

You should, however, see if Ritsa will reconsider the MDX. The Gen 1 MDX we have has been great. It had an issue with the transmission at about 60k miles but Acura covered it. It has been fine since (close to another 60k miles). The Gen 1 Nav is not locked when driving. Not sure about Gen 2 since I have not seriously looked at replacement yet. Although I don't like all the stylings of the Gen 2, I will more than likely replace my Gen 1 with a used Gen 2.

Typically, the 3rd row seats are smaller BUT if you are not a huge person, it is OK. It has come in handy many times for us. I have had to shuttle my kids, their friends, nephews and nieces. They fit just fine back there. My wife/parents have also occasionally sat back there. It has saved us having to, at times, take multiple cars.

It has been a great family utility car. It is wide and I've transported furniture, stuff from Lowes/Home Depot, ... . As much as you try to control it, kids will drag dirt/mud into the car. They will possibly throw up in the car, especially babies. The MDX is something nice enough that you care but not so nice that you would stress about these issues.

I also use it as my work (Real Estate) vehicle. It is again nice enough that it does not seem like you are driving a cheap car while not so nice that your clients will give you crap about making too much money (whether you do or not).

All in all, as a utility, "throw around" family car (without resorting to minivans - not my first choice either), the MDX has been great for our needs.
Old 10-07-10, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha russ, you think the new sequoia is good? i have driven on quite a few (worked on the cars), it's good but i am not very impressed. i like the old one more. this one is really like a truck.

great info neo. i also thought about the used mdx, but the 1st gen is now all over 100k miles, that's a bit too much (plus the tranny). starting from the 2nd one the front start to look funny.

maybe i should show that to ritsa. can you come help drag her to acura dealership? it's not going to be easy
Old 10-07-10, 01:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Just curious Henry, had it occur to you at all that you really don't need a SUV yet with just one small baby ? that you can still have a sedan instead and still manage quite well for at least a couple more years ?
Old 10-07-10, 01:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl

maybe i should show that to ritsa. can you come help drag her to acura dealership? it's not going to be easy
I love her

Old 10-07-10, 01:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Just curious Henry, had it occur to you at all that you really don't need a SUV yet with just one small baby ? that you can still have a sedan instead and still manage quite well for at least a couple more years ?
yup, but not going to be easy with the gs350. read my thread in the 3gs forum and you will see why

so the talk was to replace it with suv, or another sedan that works for us. and since we do plan to have another kid (if things work out of course), so suv is probably in the future anyway.
Old 10-07-10, 01:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, but not going to be easy with the gs350. read my thread in the 3gs forum and you will see why

so the talk was to replace it with suv, or another sedan that works for us. and since we do plan to have another kid (if things work out of course), so suv is probably in the future anyway.
Yup, witout going to read the thread in the 3GS forum, I already know it's trunk, both size and shape, won't do. but I would still try to squeeze in another Sedan with a bigger trunk first if I were you LOL
Old 10-07-10, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yup, witout going to read the thread in the 3GS forum, I already know it's trunk, both size and shape, won't do. but I would still try to squeeze in another Sedan with a bigger trunk first if I were you LOL
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA...... i am laughing so bad andrew. i mean, damn, the trunk must be so bad that you guessed it without blinking your eyes!!

sedan was definitely considered. e55/63, e60 m5, s550, all considered.
Old 10-07-10, 02:02 PM
LexFather

What about a sedan with a hatch (cough cough Panamera).....Audi A7 will be a hatch too....WRX STi is a hatch

CT is a hatch but with 2 people, a baby and a stroller 0-60 would take 2 days

Old 10-07-10, 05:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok, what is mike smoking these days? i need some (before baby here)
Old 10-07-10, 06:58 PM
khoa2801@y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry!!!! Why don't you go for GX460? New design, more space than ML, X5, MDX, more luxury than Highlander or Sequoia. Or you can go for used 2008 LX570?

Even Lexus dealership has personel problem too. 2 year ago, I was young, and dressed casual when I came in the Coliseum Lexus dealer in the SF bay area to ask for the brand new LX 570 2008. He treated me like i was a joke. But when they found out i paid cash for the brand new LX570, his reaction quickly changed to kissing my asian a**. I didnt want to buy from him, but at that time, he was the only one has the black 570 on stock.
Old 10-07-10, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CT is a hatch but with 2 people, a baby and a stroller 0-60 would take 2 days
Actually the CT (when it debuts) might not be a bad idea....if it is not too small for Henry and his growing family. How fast does one need to go from 0-60 in SoCal traffic?

In fact, parallel-type hybrids like the CT and HS often get better mileage in these traffic conditions than they do on free-flowing highways.