Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: First photos of 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 02:12 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^And that 356 looks tons better than that new VW.......

If they wanna bring back the old VW beetle, don't try to build it from scratch. Take an old one, and modernize it.
Old 11-22-10, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oprah just gave away the 2012 VW Beetle to her entire audience.

Even if the car won't debut until May 2011.
Old 11-22-10, 05:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

its kinda blending into the audi tt a little bit. not feeling that front end refresh, but still a better look than the current model.
Old 11-22-10, 06:11 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first looked at the pic, I initially thought it was a PT Cruiser too. I think it looks a little better than the current one. It's like a Beetle with a chopped roof.
Old 11-22-10, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

I never understood the "New Beetle" concept. It was supposed to be a throwback to the old air-cooled, rear-engine, rear-wheel drive Beetle. And they did that with a water-cooled, front-engine, front-wheel drive car?
Originally Posted by Habious
From the side, it looks like "The VW Panamera"
I'm with Habious on both counts. First, I did see some Panamera in it....that was my first reaction, too. Second, I agree that a Beetle isn't really a Beetle without the rear air-cooled engine....the New Beetle was (and is), essentially, just a reskinned Golf, with the same mechanicals and a somewhat retro body-style.

But, to be realistic, there were probably good reasons why VW didn't use a retro-air-cooled flat-4 engine in the rear like the old Beetle. First, air-cooled engines have a difficult time meeting today's emissions standards, because with air-cooling, it's hard to get even combustion temperatures in each cylinder for fuel-burn. Second, air-cooled engines take a long time to warm up in cold weather.....air-cooled Beetles were notorious for not having enough interior heat or windshield defrost in the winter unless you drove them a long distance. Third, air-cooled engines are noisy, because the air-passages conduct sound as well as air......today's customers would probably complain about that. Fourth, air-cooled engines use the exhaust-shield for added heat....so when you finally DO get some heat inside during the winter, if the exhaust system is not in 100% sealed tight-condition, you risk getting some exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide inside the cabin as well, even if it is not much. Fifth, rear-engines can make the car tail-happy and prone to oversteer........Porsche had to use a sophisticated suspension, wide rear tires, and electronic traction-aids to finally get the 911's rear end under control. VW, of course, cannot sell a Beetle at Porsche prices, with that kind of sophistication.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-10 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 12:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A slightly better looking version of the last cartoon car. I also see some ugly Pano elements in the styling. These cars are prone to "flavor of the month" sales ups and downs.

Never a fan of fake Beetle styling resulting from making a fwd car try to look like a rear-engined car.
Old 11-23-10, 01:41 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard Oprah giving away one or something :/