Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

had to upsize...Mini Cooper S to '10 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10 | 05:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default had to upsize...Mini Cooper S to '10 Prius

due to both of my parents inability to drive any longer and my dislike of the Mini, I picked up a used '10 Prius a month and a half ago.....

I love the car...I just installed a FLYAUDIO GPS/DVD headunit that looks like OEM but works BETTER (search for flyaudio on clublexus if interested).

Consistently get 600 miles on a tank of gas @ 60+mpg.
Attached Thumbnails had to upsize...Mini Cooper S to '10 Prius-pri.jpg  
Old 10-05-10 | 07:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Awesome!

Congrats on the upgrade. It may not be as enthusiastic to drive, but the efficiency payoff is worth it.
Old 10-05-10 | 07:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It may not be as enthusiastic to drive, but the efficiency payoff is worth it.
yep, it is a little boring...but its my commuter car, and it does it very well. I can still drive my wife's Audi TT if I need sportiness

I never thought I'd say this (I've owned 3 vettes)...but the Mini's run flats + sport pkg = horrible ride (with lots of rattles). Plus it had a weird water leak on the pax side floor they could not fix.
Old 10-05-10 | 08:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Nice!!!
I find driving our boring Camry hybrid is somehow enjoyable.Can't explain why but the hybrid just feels different and nice.
It's the wife's car and she isn't a car person but absolutely loves the hybrid over the LE.
Does the Prius feel somewhat the same to you,Bag?
Old 10-05-10 | 09:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice!!!
I find driving our boring Camry hybrid is somehow enjoyable.Can't explain why but the hybrid just feels different and nice.

Does the Prius feel somewhat the same to you,Bag?
Yes! IMHO, its the hybrid synergy drive.....its awesome....quiet, smooth, hi-tech, reliable, efficient, etc.

I just wish there was less of the rock hard plastic in the interior of the Prius...its the ONLY thing I don't like....(its on the dash, door panels, center console).
Old 10-05-10 | 09:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Yes! IMHO, its the hybrid synergy drive.....its awesome....quiet, smooth, hi-tech, reliable, efficient, etc.

I just wish there was less of the rock hard plastic in the interior of the Prius...its the ONLY thing I don't like....(its on the dash, door panels, center console).

I know it's something.It just feels different and good.
Old 10-05-10 | 09:57 AM
LexFather

More hybrid converts.... Congrats on the pickup.

It is weird, you wouldn't expect to like it but Toyota/Lexus hybrids are pretty damn good!
Old 10-05-10 | 10:36 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Car looks great, glad you are enjoying the FlyAudio and the Prius.
Old 10-05-10 | 05:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

nice pickup! >600 on one tank is a great selling point. it might not be the flashiest, but it gets from point A to point B as efficiently and cost-effectively as a car can get. i agree with 1SICKLEX...toyota/lexus hybrids are great! comfort, luxury, eco-friendly, and reliable...great mix of all of those areas.
Old 10-05-10 | 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Congragulations.

The interior materials and sheet metal of the 3Gen Prius, as you note, are a letdown from the 2Gen model, but that is balanced out by one of the best hybrid-powertrain designs (for efficiency) that you can find in a new car today. It has what is, arguably (with maybe some small VW diesels up there, too), the best mileage available on any new car in the American market. And, unlike some small Honda IMA designs, the Prius doesn't operate with powertrain bumps/jerks and unrefinement. If you read my 2010 Prius review, I covered all of this in detail.

Just out of curiosity, though, on the new 3Gen Prius, what do you think of the way they put the heated-seat switches down on the floor, under a big hole in the console? To me, that is one of the most awkward features on the car.
Old 10-05-10 | 09:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the new Prius. I drove one for hundreds of miles in Canada in July and found it to be very economical and comfortable, not very quick though.

Exterior styling of the new 3rd gen appeals to me, the interior not so much even if it's plenty roomy.
Old 10-06-10 | 01:06 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Nice choice. Also nice to see someone got the 17" rims instead of the doodoo stock ones. IMO, the larger rims transform the look of the car entirely.
Enjoy!
Old 10-06-10 | 05:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just out of curiosity, though, on the new 3Gen Prius, what do you think of the way they put the heated-seat switches down on the floor, under a big hole in the console? To me, that is one of the most awkward features on the car.
I wouldn't say the controls are on the floor...its just that the upper console sort of blocks them; its not a huge issue tho, especially because I will rarely use them (my wife on the other hand....)

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I drove one for hundreds of miles in Canada in July and found it to be very economical and comfortable, not very quick though.

Exterior styling of the new 3rd gen appeals to me, the interior not so much even if it's plenty roomy.
I like both the new exterior and the interior design....and actually, if you put the car in POWER mode, it becomes peppy; it simply makes the throttle very sensitive -- 1/4" of gas pedal movement = wheel chirp!

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Nice choice. Also nice to see someone got the 17" rims instead of the doodoo stock ones. IMO, the larger rims transform the look of the car entirely.
Enjoy!
yep, the 17s are pretty much mandatory on the car to make it look decent.

I'm debating on whether or not wheel locks might be a good idea or just a waste of $$$ (only $18).

thanks for the kind comments everyone...I know there's a few hybrid haters out there
Old 10-06-10 | 05:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I'm debating on whether or not wheel locks might be a good idea or just a waste of $$$ (only $18).

Probably a waste of money but I always add a set if the vehicle doesn't come with one.Not really much of a deterrent for a thief but I just feel better having them.
My Camry and RX did come with wheel locks from the factory.
Old 10-06-10 | 10:31 AM
RXSF

just as a side note, even though you dont specify that you want the wheel locks etc on your Lexus, you are actually charged for them under the 'preferred accessories package'. I think its tacked on to every car.

Quick Reply: had to upsize...Mini Cooper S to '10 Prius