Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota offers new digital stereo technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 08:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Toyota offers new digital stereo technology

oronto, Ontario – Toyota will offer Bongiovi Acoustics Digital Power Station (DPS) technology, the world’s first 100 per cent digital audio processing system certified for automotive use, as a genuine Toyota accessory.

“Whether your tastes lean toward rock, R&B, urban or pop, adding the Bongiovi Acoustics Digital Power Station to your Toyota is like putting an expert audio technician inside your dashboard,” said Warren Orton, director at Toyota Canada. “The Bongiovi Acoustics DPS system understands the unique acoustic environment of every Toyota and enhances audio quality, in real time, to create a remarkable listening experience.”

The Bongiovi Acoustics DPS will be available this fall for most current Toyota models, starting at $280.

The DPS technology available in Toyota vehicles can be experienced on computers via a free trial at DPS. The audio optimizer for iTunes and Mac users will soon be available as a system-wide player for Windows as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...technology.htm

The final item trotted out for the new model year was introduced by an intense-looking man by the name of Tony Bongiovi, who was introduced as an engineer, record producer and musician Jon Bon Jovi's brother. He was promoting his new digital audio processing system, called Bongiovi Acoustics DPS, which will be exclusive to Toyota.

``This system sells for $280, comes factory installed and doesn't need speaker upgrades, expensive equalizers or premium audio equipment,'' says Bongiovi.

While the computer mechanics of the system are mind-boggling, the short take on it is as follows: Bongiovi's ``box'' weighs 0.5 kilograms and runs any kind of music through it, which it then converts to 100% digital audio signals.

These signals are then reprocessed by the system and played at pre-set studio levels optimized for each vehicle's acoustic environment. Hearing it, I was blown away by the difference compared with ordinary FM radio with stock speakers. It's worth checking out.
http://www.canada.com/2011+Toyota+Hi...632/story.html

We were just discussing Toyota/Lexus sound systems recently, i found this interesting .
Old 10-05-10, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is interesting.

I would love to experience the sound quality improvements, even with stock speakers.
Old 10-05-10, 08:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Anything leaps and bounds better than FM radio except maybe AM
Old 10-05-10, 10:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Anything leaps and bounds better than FM radio except maybe AM
what they meant is that this is dsp unit that all audio goes through and it outputs it adjusted to your vehicle...
Old 10-05-10, 02:40 PM
LexFather

This seems interesting and I'm all for sound improvements.

Old 10-05-10, 03:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what they meant is that this is dsp unit that all audio goes through and it outputs it adjusted to your vehicle...

Yes I know that. This technology was available through aftermarket companies for almost a decade, but is slowly entering the OEM market. The OEM market moves a lot slower.
Old 10-05-10, 03:40 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cadillac has had DSP chips in their cars for about a decade. Not sure how this compares to that implementation, but I'm interested in listening...

Yes, pun intended. =)
Old 10-06-10, 06:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Digital audio processing is nothing new. I'm guessing this article is referring to real time acoustic processing being something new in the OEM scene (even though it's been in the home theater market and aftermarket car audio for a few years now).

For a similar technology that's already commonplace, read up on Auddysey DSX for home audio.

What's odd about this is that OEM car audio companies have always had a very distinct advantage in that they could hand select the drivers, enclosures, amps, delays, EQs, phase and whatever other custom processing they wanted to, with a very specific knowledge of what environment the system was going to be installed into. If Lexus hires Mark Levinson to make a high end system for the GX460, they're given a GX460 (or several) to get things perfect with. It's not like a home theater manufacturer or aftermarket car audio manufacturer where they haven't got a clue what sort of environment they're going to be installed in.

So with that in mind I'm really not sure what this system would be compensating for other than acoustic changes caused by occupants, open doors, and various stuff stored in the car.