Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD

By general CL interest (and, of course, this being a Lexus Forum), a Review of the 2011 Lexus IS350AWD.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/

In a Nutshell: Lexus is finally playing Catch-Up....the 350 should have gotten AWD several years ago. But fit/finish has also improved.

Well, not surprisingly, a number of you on the CL forum have expressed interest in the new IS350AWD model. Of course, CL has the general-discussion IS forum for all of its members, but a few of you requested a specific review from me for the CAR CHAT forum. So, here you are.

First, it's taken quite a while for Lexus not only to finally release the car this fall (they are just starting to come into D.C. area Lexus dealerships now), but, after a number of years, to FINALLY get an AWD version of the 350 at all. The BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, Infiniti, and Cadillac competition have all had V6 AWD sport-sedans, in this class, available for years, and even Acura and Lincoln are now adding AWD to their sedans as well. Lexus added AWD to the IS250 (with automatic-transmission only), when the Second-Generation IS series debuted about 5 years ago. A 6-speed manual-transmission version was available for enthusiasts, but only with the standard RWD.....and the manual transmission was never offered at all on the IS350 (it still isn't, even with the AWD addition).

Why Lexus delayed so long adding AWD to the 350 beats me. Of course, corporate development money doesn't grow on trees, and the available development funds have to be allocated as the company planners see fit. But still, even given the obvious fiscal limitations, this expense, in the past, IMO, would have been money well-spent. When the IS250AWD debuted in 2006, in this area, it started selling like wildfire, and has continued to sell well in this area ever since. I generally don't believe in auto stereotypes (though it is factual that there are definite buying patterns), but I have noticed that, with the high numbers of IS250AWD models here in the D.C. area, go a lot of female buyers for that car. In fact, one of my lady neighbors just turned in a nice Pearl-White one after the lease was up. So, regardless of whether men or women were driving it, the IS250AWD's success was a given, especially among those who wanted better winter traction than the RWD IS models (I myself had an older RWD IS300, and it left a lot to be desired on snow and ice). There was (and still is) a definite market for AWD IS models. It is also likely that, had an IS350AWD model been offered these last several years, it would have potentially done better with males than the IS250AWD did.

Anyhow, that is now water over the dam.....no use griping over spilled milk. The 350AWD, long overdue, is finally here....and it's ready to go, even if it still lacks a manual-transmission option.

The First-Generation IS, of course, was introduced, in the American market for 2001 (I owned one), as a slightly (almost identically) rebadged version of the excellent, non-U.S. Toyota Altezza. The American-market version used the same smooth 3.0L in-line 6 that upmarket Altezzas (and the former non-turbo Toyota Supra) did. The IS200 version, offered in some other markets (essentially a rebadged version of the smaller-engined Altezzas), was never offered in the U.S....a marketing error, IMO. A SportCross, IS300 5-door hatchback WAS briefly offered, but was up a sales disaster. Lexus marketing was generally aiming the IS300 at the ubiquitous, Market-King BMW 3-series, and the IS got some good write-ups in the auto press. I myself was amazed at how well the IS300 was built, and its quality-feel....one factor in my choice of it as my personal car (though it did have some small annoying quirks, primarily in the automatic transmission and climate-controls....I won't go into the details here). The Second-Generation model, still in production, improved on a couple of the first-generation's weaknesses, but, IMO, seemed a little less-solidly-built overall, especially in the interior.

For 2011, the Lexus IS line comes in a number of versions. The IS250 line, with the 2.5L V6 of 204 HP and 185 ft-lbs. of torque, comes in RWD and AWD versions. RWD 250 models come with a choice of 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic Sportshift transmission...the AWD, only the automatic. The IS350 (finally) comes with RWD and AWD...both with the 6-speed automatic....manual-shift guys, you'll have to wait a little longer, if ever. Both the standard 250 and 350 are 4-door sedans, but folding-hard-top 2-door convertibles are also available in both the 250 and 350 levels The 350 convertible, not surprisingly, can get pricey, starting over 45K). IS250 Convertibles get the choice of the 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic, while the 350 convertible gets only the automatic. The AWD on the sedan models is not offered on the convertibles, with the presumed reasoning (like with many other automakers) being that convertibles, especially with the top down, are not often driven in the cold, wet conditons that favor AWD (of course, one can always put the top up and get weather protection, especially with well-designed folding hard-tops). So, that reasoning doesn't entirely make sense to me, either.

Base prices, for 2011, start at $32,145 for the 6-speed manual IS250RWD, and, as mentioned, rise to over $45,000 for the 350 convertible....I'll have some more to say about that at the end of the review.

At the dealership today (the same shop, BTW, where I bought my IS300 at some years ago), there were 2 new IS350AWD models in stock....they are just now beginning to arive at local D.C.-area shops. They had a black (Obsidian) one and a White (Starfire) Pearl one....both with exactly the same options and MSRP ($46,299). Tne black one had a beautiful two-tone Alpine (Cream-Beige)/Black two-tone interior with brown Expresso Bird's-Eye maple wood, the white one, a monotone Black leather with Dark gray Bird's-Eye Maple. I checked both cars out inside (I thought the two-tone interior with the Expresso Wood looked better inside), but the white paint looked better outside and was slightly better-applied (though both paint jobs, of course, showed the usual first-rate Lexus quality). I used the white one for the test-drive, because it was cleaned up and ready to go, while the black one still had some protective-tape on the hood/trunk and the clear-plastic shipping-covers over the wheels. I offered to take the tape and plastic covers off the black one myself (you can't drive it that way without risk to overheating the brakes).....I've taken them off many times before, and know how to do it correctly. It had the Virginia Safety-Inspection sticker on, required by law, even for a test-drive. But they said never mind, the PDI guys would do it. So, it was into the white one for the test-drive, and off I went.

Since I had already reviewed a couple versions of both the 2Gen IS250 and 350 already (though my reviews, in those days, lacked images and were generally not as comprehensive as they are now), I had planned, at first, to just write a brief cursory review of the IS350AWD, or, at most, just a general review-update to assess the basic differences between the RWD and AWD models of the 350. But, after an examination of both cars inside and outside, it was apparant that Lexus (and I give them credit for this) had, for 2011, significantly improved both the exterior and interior fit/finish of the 2Gen IS series, even without a major redesign (which is probably due in another year or two). It was the same basic car as the 2006 2Gen IS debut, but, like its brother ES350 model, had been significantly improved since then. So, I decided to start from scratch and do another full-review.

Now for the details.........

Model Reviewed: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD

Base Price: $41,030

Options:

NAV Package: $2465

Luxury-Plus Package: $1320

Rear-Lip Spoiler: $389

Preferred Accessory Package: $220

Destination/Freight: $875 (about average for this class)

List Price as Reviewed: $46,299

Drivetrain: AWD, Longitudinally-mounted 3.5L VVT-i V6, 306 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque, 277 Ft-lbs, @ 4800 RPM, 6-speed paddle-shift-sequential automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission.

Exterior Colors: Obsidian (Black),
Starfire (white) Pearl

Interiors: Alpine (Cream-beige)/Black Two-Wone,
Black Monotone Leather

EPA Mileage Rating: 18 City / 25 Highway / 20 Combined (20/27/22 for RWD)

PLUSSES:

3.5L V6 much better-suited for AWD than the 2.5L V6.

Slick yet firm paddle-shifted 6-speed automatic transmission.

Firm, high-quality feel to overall assembly and road manners.

Good handling/steering response (but not overly-quick).

Generally flat cornering.

Well-done brakes.

Good wind-noise control.

New LED-style daytime-running-lights.

Easy battery access underhood.

A real oil dipstick instead of sensor/monitors.

Slick-folding side mirrors.

Side-mirror turn-signals.

Solid-closing doors/trunk.

Nicely-finished trunk area.

First Aid kit in the trunk, a Lexus tradition.

Typical Lexus paint job, up with the industry's best.

10 different exterior paint colors (and most of them nice).

7 different interior leather colors/patters, depending on IS model.

5 different interior accent-trims, depending on model.

Beautiful-looking two-tone Black/Alpine (cream-beige) leather seats.

Clear, easily-read primary electro-luminescent gauges.

Significantly-improved (and excellent) interior fit/finish.

Good Consumer Reports' reliability record.

First two factory-maintenance appointments free.

Excellent 6/70 and 4/50 Lexus warranty.

MINUSES:

AWD option for the IS350 long overdue on the market.

Somewhat peaky max-torque RPM.

Exhaust not as quiet as on ES/LS models (of course, it is considered a sportier model).

Firm ride (IMO) over bumps....but not as harsh as the IS-F.

fairly tight front-headroom for tall persons.

Tight rear-seat headroom.

Very tight rear-seat legroom.

Non-folding rear-seat for cargo (but does contain a small pass-through).

Low ground clearance for snow.

Some tire noise, even on smooth surfaces.

Fairly small trunk opening.

Poor underhood layout (execpt for the battery).

Fairly complex NAV/ Climate controls.

Annoying zig-zag shift lever.

Awkward left-foot parking-brake.

Ultra-light-feeling hood.

Temporary donut spare tire.

Orange/Black two-tone seats available only on IS-F model.

EXTERIOR:

Nothing really new on the exterior for 2011....except the nice horizontal LED daytime running lights now under the regular Bi-Xenon, HID headlights. Exterior fit/finish, though, has been significantly improved in the last couple of years, even within in the same-generation model, without a major redesign. The paint job, of course as always, is Lexus first-grade, though the White, overall (and mirror-smooth), was done slightly better than the Black, which showed a very small amount of orange-peel on some (not all) of the panels. 10 different exterior colors are offered (the Lexus Matador Red, which will knock your socks off, has long been one of my favorites), though I wish they would bring back the bright Solar Yellow that was used on my old IS300. The engineers seem to have worked on the doors and trunk lid some, too. Several years ago, when the 2Gen 2006 model was introduced, they had, IMO, a somewhat lighter, flimsier feel than the 1Gen Is300 model. But, on the latest 2011 model here, they seem to be more solid-feeling and close with a more solid "thunk"....without a major redesign, they seem to (now) have more solid materials inside them and better insulation around the edges. Unfortunately, the ground clearance still remains quite low, especially for an AWD vehicle, limiting its abilty to handle heavy snowdrifts, but, of course, this is a sport-sedan, not a snow-mobile. If you need a real winter-driver, there is always the RX (and the other Lexus SUVs) down at the other end of the showroom. The hood, which appears to be either plastic or very lightweight-aluminum, (perhaps in an effort to save weight), does not have the solid-feeing of the doors and trunk-lid. The twin outside mirrors, as on previous models, swivel and lock very smoothly and slickly.....and they also have integrated turn-signals in them (a feature first pioneered by Mercedes).

UNDERHOOD:

As with many premium-grade vehicles, a generally poor layout. The feather-light hood (already mentioned above) opens up with a couple of nice gas struts, and has a nice underhood insulation pad. The ubiquitous, longitudionally-mounted 3.5L Lexus V6 fits in, partially down a hole in the center of the underhood area, and there is only a very small amount of room around the edges of the engine block (and hole) to reach anything. A big plastic engine cover, on top, cuts off just about everything up there. Plastic covers and panels hide most of the other underhood features, too. On the plus side, the battery, in back on the left side, does NOT have a cover (it is readily accesable), and (wonder of wonders), there is a real oil dipstick.....no oil sensors/monitors to err, go bad, or malfunction like in many other premium-grade vehicles today.

INTERIOR:

Inside, the basic interior layout is pretty much the same as it has been for the last 5 years or so (since the 2Gen model was introduced), but, like with the exterior, the general level of fit/finish and the feel of the trim and materials has been noticeably improved. This was also the case with the 2010 ES350 compared to its predecessors, as I commented on when I reviewed that model some time ago. The sun-visors and the headliner both have a nice, plush, soft fabric to them...this is an area where automakers today are inceasingly cost-cutting. The two-tone Black and Alpine (cream-beige) leather seats in the black 350AWD I looked at were visually stunning...and the leather seemed to be a nice grade, though not quite as smooth or soft as in Jaguars or higher-level Lexus models such as the LS. Seven different leather patterns and 5 different dash/door trim-materials are offered in the IS series, but, (annoyingly), the Orange/Black two-tone leather is only available in the IS-F....a needless restriction, IMO. The front seats are comfortable and fairly supportive. All of the interior trim/hardware seemed well-fitted, well-finished, and of good quality......again, a noticeable improvement from several years ago. The dash was a nice, firmly-padded surface. The stereo had an excellent sound quality, but was not quite the equal of the superb Mark Levinson used in the Big-Brother LS460. Both of the cars I looked at had the optional ($2465) NAV package, which included several other related features as well. The NAV option did make the climate/stereo system, with the exception of the volume/tune *****, somewhat more difficult to use...several of those functions were integrated into the screen. Satellite radio came with the package........with six months' of free subscription. As in some other Lexus models, I liked the white electroluminescent primary gauges, which were generally clear and easy to read. The steering wheel was well-shaped and comfortable to hold.....though the big, silver-painted paddle-shift blades for the transmission sometimes got in your way when your fingers/hands were near the spokes.

Headroom up front, under the sunroof-housing, was tight for tall persons.....though nowhere near as bad as in the Camaro SS I reviewed last week. Still, I had to lower the power-seat cushion down all the way AND crank in a little seat-back rake for my baseball-cap to clear the ceiling. In back, it was even tighter under the ceiling....I bumped my head getting in and out of both cars, and the legroom, especially with the front seat pushed back, was woefully indequate for adults. In fact, when I got back from the test-drive, one of the Sales Managers was waiting for me. He asked me how I liked the car, and I told him it was a nice car, but the rear seat was clearly inadequate for most adults. He laughed, and, in a rare candid and honest moment for a sales-manager, told me he didn't think that (never mind adults) it was even fit for children, the way they are designing some infant/child seats today. So, all in all, it's a nice interior.....for two adults up front.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Overall, one of the car's better features, although the design of the rear roofline/sheet metal limits the size of the actual trunk-lid opening itself. The trunk lid, though smallish, has a solid feel, and opens up to a trunk that is fairly good-sized, considering the car's smallish exterior. On the left side of the trunk, in the long-standing Lexus tradition, is a nice leather-bound First Aid Kit (also a traditon with some other premium-makes as well). On the right side is a fold-up cargo net (an option), which can be used to help secure bags, groceries, packages, etc.....

Inside, the trunk is generally well-finished, with a nice grade of black carpeting that covers the floor and side-walls. The rear seat doesn't fold for added cargo-space. Sometimes this is not just cost-cutting, but done for rear-end unibody frame-rigidity...folding rear-seats often eliminate one of the rear cross-braces. As a sports-sedan, the IS is designed with frame-rigidity in mind for handling. The rear seat, though, does have a small, lockable, pass-through feature for long, narrow items like fishing poles, baseball bats, skis, etc..... Under the carpeted trunk floor is an annoying
temporary spare tire that (seems) to also be somewhat smaller than full-size. Not only should a car of this price (41-46K), IMO, have a real spare, but also because of the AWD system. A smaller-than-normal tire, on an AWD vehicle, because of (constant) rotational-tire-difference speeds, can stress out the center differential. Subaru gets around this by giving you a fuse-puller for the AWD (making it FWD) and instructions to mount the small and /or bad tire(s) on the back and keep the good ones up front....but, to be honest, Subarus should also come with real spares, as they used to.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous Lexus 3.5L V6 with a (proper for this class) engine START/STOP button, and it idles smoothly and quietly (as a Lexus product should). AS RPMs build, exhaust noise comes in.....it is clear that the engineers, with this being a sports-sedan, didn't mute the exhaust note as much as in the silkier ES and LS models. But the noise is not obtrusive....just enough to give it a slightly sporty touch.

I know I complained, at the beginning of the review, about the long delay in getting the AWD into the 350. And.....was it worth the wait? You bet it was. The 3.5L V6, with almost 100 more ft-lbs. of torque, is an enormous improvement than the smaller 2.5L in the 250AWD, and far more able to handle the extra weight/drag of the AWD system........though both engines have somewhat peaky torque curves. The 250AWD, under many conditions, is a sluggish as Rush Limbaugh trying to endorse ObamaCare. The 350AWD, though not the fastest car I've driven by any means, will blow the 250AWD's doors off in anything other than the lightest throttle-openings. It's basically like the difference between driving an AWD N/A 2.5L H4 automatic Subaru Legacy/Outback and the 3.6R H6 version. And the EPA gas-mileage numbers, though of course lower for the 350AWD, aren't as much lower than the 250AWD's as you might think.

Not much difference, in feel, in the 6-speed Sport-Shift automatic, from the previous verisons. It's still the same firm yet smooth feel on the upshifts/downshifts whether in manual or automatic mode, though the big steering-column shift-paddles, as I noted above, can sometimes get in the way of your hands or fingers when you don't intend to use them. And I STILL, as in previous versions, dislike the zig-zag action of the shift lever (when not in manual-shift mode).

The chassis is well-engineered, though not quite to the level of the competing BMW 335xi. The whole car, on the road, has a firm, solid, well-cast, well-assembled feel that, like with BMWs, it's hard to describe in words...you have to drive it and feel it to know what I mean. The firm steering is well-weighted, though not to the tactile level of the marvelous BMW 3 and 5-series non-Active power steering units, and steering response was fairly quick, though not extremely quick by sport-sedan standards. Body roll was minimal, with generally flat cornering. The AWD, of course, grips in corners like Lindsay Lohan clutching a whiskey bottle, but seems to slow down the steering response just slightly over the RWD 350 (as I remember the RWD 350's steering). THe wind-noise level is quite low (with the apparantly new door materials/seals helping some), though some road noise, uncharacteristic of Lexus, gets into the cabin even on glass-smooth road surfaces. The 17" 45-series all-season tires (the softer, 16" 55-series all-season option died with the 2Gen model), combined with the firmish, sport-oriented suspension to provide a nice ride on smooth roads, but, with the added unsprung-weight of the AWD hardware underneath, a little firmer over bumps than I would like. Nevertheless, no complaints...it is a good combination of ride/handling, though not as perfect as a typical BMW or Mercedes. Brakes are also well-done, even if not the the level of the Brembo-equipped Camaro SS I drove last week. The brake response is quick, relatively free of sponginess, well-modulated, and the brake pedal is well-enough located that I generally didn't have any problems with my big size-15 Clodhoppers hanging up on the edge of the brake pedal when shifting from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Well, first the the obvious.....yes, it was worth the wait to get the AWD with the 350. Finally, there's enough power for it. The 2011 model also seems to have significant improvements in the interior/exterior fit/finish (and some interior material-quality) as well. It promises good (or at least Better-than-Average) reliability from Consumer Reports. It has a pleasant, high-quality feel on the road, and relatively nice (though firm) road manners. Though the 45-series tires (even as all-seasons) and the low ground clearance, don't promise as good winter traction as higher-profile tires would, one can expect it to do far better then the RWD 250 or 350 would on slick roads (and RWD IS models, even with the old 55-series all-season tires, snow-mode transmission torque, and traction control, like my old IS300 had, leave a lot to be desired on slick roads).

But then, of course, there is the Munchkin back seat......consider this a car for (basically) for two adults...up front, with maybe some occasional kids or small adults in the rear. How the ease of installing child-safety seats would go in a design like this, I don't know (I've never had kids).......but remember the sales manager's comments.

And, last, the issue comes up (and this is a complex one)..........is this car worth the 41-46K (or more) that it will likely cost? Certainly, it is cheaper than equivalent BMW AWD models (like the 335xi) that it would compete against, but I consider BMWs, even with their chassis/steering excellence, overpriced....same with Mercedes. And, to some extent, I consider this car a little overpriced, too. For instance, my yellow IS300, admittedly, a base-model with few options, and lacking AWD and many of this car's features, went out the door for only around 31K...a price that, at the time, I thought was reasonble (otherwise, of course, I would have gotten something else). But here, we're talking some 50% more for (essentially) the successor to the same car I had, just with AWD and some more safety/luxury/convinience features. Is it worth it? If it was my money, probably not, but, of course, each potential buyer must make that decision for himself/herself. It also must be remembered that this is (physically) not a very big car for 46K, in actual size......its outside dimensions (though that is not the way that the EPA/DOT measures it) are basically that of a compact car, or, at best, straddling the line between a compact and a mid-size car. A few thousand dollars, of course, can be saved by choosing models without the big-dollar option packages on them, but they are not always easy to find on Lexus dealer-lots. Although the IS can sometimes be special-ordered in a certain way, in most cases, the dealerships end up just taking whatever comes off the boat, because IS models are built overseas in Japanese plants.

And, as always............Happy Car Shopping
MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 06:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent review mmarshall and hot off the presses too as I haven't even seen one of these on the lot yet.

I agree AWD in the 350 is a long time coming and quite frankly I had given up on the idea a couple of years ago. Lots of opinions as to why it took so long but the most memorable for me (although who knows if its true) is a fear of sales being drawn away from the GS vs a competitor. Regardless its here now and I'll definitely be checking it out.

I luv my 250AWD with no regrets but if I take all the luxury and quality found in my IS and add a 50% HP and torque bump I'm certain a big smile will follow.

I think this model will certainly help keep the IS sales going as it moves into its 5th year of this model.

PS LOL @ the Rush and Lohan comments!
Old 10-05-10, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent review mmarshall
Thanks.

and hot off the presses too as I haven't even seen one of these on the lot yet.
Lexus dealers (apparantly by corporate-policy), have the annoying habit of not putting the new-vehicle inventory on their dealer web-sites like they do with their used cars. So, the chances are, that, to see one, you'll either have to go to a big auto-show, call ahead to a local dealership and ask, or just physically stop by the dealership and see what they've got. I don't like the no-new-vehicle policy on the dealer web-sites either, but, until Lexus changes their corporate policy, we're pretty much stuck with it. Lexus seems to think that boosts their corporate image....having dealer-personnel do the new-car-searching for customers.

I agree AWD in the 350 is a long time coming and quite frankly I had given up on the idea a couple of years ago. Lots of opinions as to why it took so long but the most memorable for me (although who knows if its true) is a fear of sales being drawn away from the GS vs a competitor. Regardless its here now and I'll definitely be checking it out.
Well, of course, as I noted in the review, corporate development money doesn't grow on trees....sometimes managers have to decide what they are going to spend it on, and what not. But, the success of the AWD BMW 3-series and Audi's A4 3.2 Quattros, as I see it, was no doubt a factor. And one certainly could not deny that, for several years, the IS250AWD has sold well, too....especially in my area. But the 250AWD was, in my view, underpowered for a premium-nameplate vehicle (not necessarily underpowered for me, but for others...see my additional comments below)....and the 350AWD was clearly needed.

I luv my 250AWD with no regrets but if I take all the luxury and quality found in my IS and add a 50% HP and torque bump I'm certain a big smile will follow.
Actually, I agree with you. Though a car enthusiast, I'm not a speed freak, and I could easily drive a 250AWD as a daily-driver without any problems (I drive a 2.5L AWD Outback, don't I?). But, many others are not like us, and, for a premium-nameplate car like that, simply demand more power.
Old 10-05-10, 07:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very good review mmarshall, as usual.

Here in NYC there are TONS of IS250awd. I barely ever see a non-awd IS250, most if the time if I see a non-awd IS - it is IS350. With the price of IS250awd being roughly the same as IS350, it is clear a lot of people are willing to pay premium for the AWD option, and prefer it over a more powerful engine. With the IS350awd now being available, it should provide a nice bump in sales.
Old 10-05-10, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Very good review mmarshall, as usual.
Thanks.

Here in NYC there are TONS of IS250awd. I barely ever see a non-awd IS250, most if the time if I see a non-awd IS - it is IS350. With the price of IS250awd being roughly the same as IS350, it is clear a lot of people are willing to pay premium for the AWD option, and prefer it over a more powerful engine.
I don't actually have a breakdown of IS250AWD buyers by sex (somebody might post one), but it (seems) to be popular with the ladies. I don't believe in stereotypes myself, and, as a male, I could easily drive one myself without power problems, but a lot of men seem to be shunning it. There's a good chance that will change with the 350AWD...the difference in power with the 3.5L V6, especially with the automatic and AWD that add a lot of weight/drag to the 250, is remarkable.

With the IS350awd now being available, it should provide a nice bump in sales.
I think it's going to be a lot more popular with males than the 250AWD was. The 250AWD sold/leased like hotcakes here (and apparantly did in your area, too), but to an (apparantly) heavily-female group of buyers.

BTW, had AWD been available whan I bought my First-Generation IS300, I would have certainly sprung for it, even at an added price....but it wasn't. I thought that, with RWD, the ABS, Traction Control (no stability system yet), all-season tires, and Snow-Mode for the transmission would help in the winter, but, even with all that stuff working, it was still a handful when the roads got really slippery and frozen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-10 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 09:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
PS LOL @ the Rush and Lohan comments!
Yeah, I don't go overboard with the jokes like Jeremy Clarkson sometimes does, but I stick in a little of my own humor every now and then. Breaks up the monotony.
Old 10-05-10, 10:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most of those pictures are not 2011 IS, because 2011 does NOT have "Lexus" badge on the back. Plus 2011 also has "titanium-effect" strip (like the ES) on the glove compartment. In addition and new 2011 IS has more aggressive front bumpers, restyled wheels, modified taillights and smoked Headlights with the LED Strip on the bottom. It also has that titanium button surrounds on the steering column.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD-g_ext6_is-985.jpg   Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD-g_int5_is-1033.jpg   Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD-g_int13_is-1000.jpg   Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD-g_ext1_is-986.jpg   Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD-g_ext2_is-1041.jpg  

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 10-05-10 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 12:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Great write-up and timely.
I'm curious as to how Lexus improved interior materials. You mentioned some basic stuff, but can you elaborate? Was it the feel of a certain panel? I am not aware of any official changes other than the steering wheel trim and glovebox trim. Thanks!
Also wondering if your test car had the feature where you could operate the shift paddles while the transmission is still in auto mode. That was a change made for 2009, but gets little mention.
I agree, the zig-zag shifter could be better. I simple straight bowling alley shot from P to D would work fine, as it does in Audi.
As far as exhaust note compared to the ES.... I can't see the two being compared. Two totally different roles. The IS should make some noise. If anything, it's way too quiet. A slight rumble or bass would be appropriate.
Great review!
Old 10-06-10, 03:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice review,Mike
The IS styling is 5 years old but still looks great both in and out.
AWD is a bit late but here.Better late than never.
I owned a '06 IS250 AWD which I loved but found to be way too slow.The extra power of the 3.5L and AWD is great that should have been available for years.
Old 10-06-10, 05:10 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review, I definately find the IS250 Hp rating pathetic for a luxury vehicle. But despite that comment I still find the IS one of the best looking car in the Lexus line up. Did Lexus add any new colors or packages?
Old 10-06-10, 05:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great review Mike.

keep in mind the base price of the 250 rwd is $32K and the 350 rwd $38K ....so comparing those prices to your Is300 for $31K from 10 years ago would be more in-line.
Old 10-06-10, 06:03 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. A long overdue model. And the competition is certainly stepping it up. Case in point, AWD is now an option on the 7 series and the 550. Lexus will need to keep innovating.
Old 10-06-10, 07:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Very interesting. A long overdue model. And the competition is certainly stepping it up. Case in point, AWD is now an option on the 7 series and the 550. Lexus will need to keep innovating.
The GS350 and LS460 have had AWD options. The GS350 since 2006, and the LS460 since 2008.

Good to see the IS350 come into the mix. I think it would be smart to give the (next gen) ES the option as well...
Old 10-06-10, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
most of those pictures are not 2011 IS,
I don't have a digital camera, or the ability/experience of downloading live pictures, so I (usually) use the best Google images I can find. They are not always 100% accurate or perfect. But they are usually pretty close....and Google sometimes mislabels the shots, too.
Old 10-06-10, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great write-up and timely.
Thanks.

I'm curious as to how Lexus improved interior materials. You mentioned some basic stuff, but can you elaborate? Was it the feel of a certain panel? I am not aware of any official changes other than the steering wheel trim and glovebox trim. Thanks![/QUOTE]

To me (and, of course, this is sense-based and at least partly subjective), but the overall fit/finish seemed better than several years ago, with some more solid-feeling/better-fitted plastic buttons, *****, hardware, etc.... I didn't notice any interior or dash creaks/rattles like I did with both the new IS and ES redesigns about 4-5 years ago. The doors felt a little heftier, seemed more solidly-done, with better insulation, and (to my ears, at least.) seemed to close with a more-solid "thunk". A car doesn't have to be totally redesigned to make improvements like this....it can be done with just some running-changes on the basic assembly-line, as the 2010 ES350 showed last year with its upgraded interior dash/door trim....a marked improvement, IMO, over the 2006-2009 models.

Also wondering if your test car had the feature where you could operate the shift paddles while the transmission is still in auto mode. That was a change made for 2009, but gets little mention.
Yes, it did.

I agree, the zig-zag shifter could be better. I simple straight bowling alley shot from P to D would work fine, as it does in Audi.
The whole idea for the zig-zag, as I understand it, is to make it more difficult for people to accidentally shift into the wrong gear with a straight fore-aft shifter....in other words, another nanny-safety device. It got started when some drivers were having problems with the older Honda fore/aft shifters, bringing the lever straight back ito D3 instead of D4, because the notch-detents were (supposedly) weak. I don't buy that argument, myself. If the shift-mechanism is working properly, and if the detent is clearly marked (Ford had a major problem with this several years ago, with huge recalls), then as far as I'm concerned, if one can't put a simple lever into the proper gear without swinging it around an obstacle course, then he or she shouldn't have a drivers' license.

As far as exhaust note compared to the ES.... I can't see the two being compared. Two totally different roles. The IS should make some noise. If anything, it's way too quiet. A slight rumble or bass would be appropriate.
Yes, agreed. I noted that in the review, that the IS's exhaust rumble was slightly louder, but to be expected in a sport-oriented sedan. But, even so, it's a long way, in exhaust noise, from a Porsche, Corvette, or Viper.

Great review!
Again, Thanks. Glad to be of help.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Lexus IS350AWD