Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 06:18 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't take it seriously. I just was pointing out that I said the same thing as you! heh. No big deal. All I'm saying is I hope the next GS is bad *** in the F version. I think the IS-F is pretty bad ***, I love that blue it comes in too! It'll be great to see a brand new GS-F in that color with the gunmetal wheels. I just hope they are smart enough to make room for 20 inchers, and at least 9 inches wide!
Old 10-19-10, 06:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GS
2009-7,430
2008-15,759
2007-23,381
2006-27,390
2005-33,357
2004-8,262
That is it? I thought Lexus would be selling about 55000+ annually. This is pathetic, to say the least.

How many units/dealer/year does this equate to?
Old 10-19-10, 06:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past several years, not even the 5 Series or E Class were really selling at 55K+ annually.

I don't see how anyone could expect the GS to sell so high if no other car in the class sold that high either.

It's not pathetic, midsize premium luxury sedans are just not huge sellers.

Only in 2006 did BMW manage to sell over 55K 5 Series annually for example.
Old 10-19-10, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chikoo
That is it? I thought Lexus would be selling about 55000+ annually. This is pathetic, to say the least.

If the less expensive IS doesn't sell like that how do you expect the GS to do it?

Lexus has 228 dealers so do the math

Old 10-19-10, 09:56 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No love for the Guigario design? I think its a beauty, pretty timeless.

I don't think Lexus could do anything to make it stand out since multiple brands took 2GS cues and evolved them. The 3GS clearly comes for 1GS/2GS lines along with the new L-finesse theme. Today you have a G37 and XF that looks like their versions of the 3GS, even copying the tri-spoke wheels. Time to trade in the car.
I agree with you Mike that the 1GS is timeless for which the 2GS and 3GS is derived from...and don't everyone forget that...
Old 10-19-10, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo

55k? you smoking something good man. like others said, not even the 5 or e achieve that
Old 10-20-10, 01:31 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

sales for the GS used to be good, I guess people got tired of spending 55K for cars! Then the design hasn't changed in a good while. Hopefully the new 4GS makes a decent splash and stays 'current' compared to the 5 series and E. Also the newcomers the XF and M. Not sure what the CTS is though, it's kinda in between 3 and 5, then in V trim it's M5 competitor. Weird to say the least. There's a lot of players, curiously enough it's Acura that's lacking a serious competitor, unless they magically have plans for a RWD GS competitor!
Old 10-20-10, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

acura? i don't see them in the play for quite a while to come

the problem of the 3gs definitely has something to do with "emotion", that's why the decline over the years, compared to the 5 and e which was a lot more consistent
Old 10-20-10, 11:16 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it's just funny that they say they're a luxury brand but how? The only car worthwhile is the TL-SHAWD, and that beak is hard to get over. It just seems all of their cars are bigger versions of the Accord. Their SUVs are ok, but the beak is there again.

Emotion you say. That does play a good part, but a drop from 30k+ sales to just around 6k? There's something more to it than emotion. The recession maybe?
Old 10-20-10, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TF109B
Yeah, it's just funny that they say they're a luxury brand but how? The only car worthwhile is the TL-SHAWD, and that beak is hard to get over. It just seems all of their cars are bigger versions of the Accord. Their SUVs are ok, but the beak is there again.

Emotion you say. That does play a good part, but a drop from 30k+ sales to just around 6k? There's something more to it than emotion. The recession maybe?
if you pair the sales number together with the sales of e and 5, then you can see recession didn't affect sales of 5 and e as much. that's why i think the 3gs sales failed in that case, coz' they can't maintain the loyalty / consistency. i personally don't mind the 25-30k number (even if that's less than e and 5), but imho consistency on sales over yrs is a lot more important
Old 10-20-10, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you pair the sales number together with the sales of e and 5, then you can see recession didn't affect sales of 5 and e as much. that's why i think the 3gs sales failed in that case, coz' they can't maintain the loyalty / consistency. i personally don't mind the 25-30k number (even if that's less than e and 5), but imho consistency on sales over yrs is a lot more important
GS prices were left high and car didnt really get many upgrades.
Old 10-20-10, 04:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
GS prices were left high and car didnt really get many upgrades.
The car also had some flaws that could not be easily fixed such as a cramped interior and not enough differentiation from the IS and ES. There were also no big lease deals offered, compared to what the German competition offers.
Old 10-20-10, 10:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I don't see how is looked like the IS or ES. Maybe the brand new ES, but it looks a lot different to me. I've heard about the tight interior though. Hopefully Lexus addresses these issues for the new car.
Old 10-20-10, 11:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
I don't see how is looked like the IS or ES. Maybe the brand new ES, but it looks a lot different to me. I've heard about the tight interior though. Hopefully Lexus addresses these issues for the new car.
It wasn't the looks. I meant differentiation in terms of interior and driving experience. The 3GS interior is not that much different size-wise than the IS or ES, which is part of the problem. Also in terms of features and options the GS is not much different than the ES and IS.

Since the GS is a class above the ES and IS, it should have a bunch of features that are a class above, but it doesn't have that much. Also the driving experience is not differentiated enough from the ES. The 3GS is only slightly sportier than the ES, but not as comfortable.
Old 10-20-10, 11:37 PM
LexFather

I've driven the ES and GS plenty of times and its night and day. Sorry.

Also the 3GS had a lot more competition then the 2GS did. S80, M35/45, RL, MKS, XF, A6 are all very good. I think that had A LOT to do with it.

Whereas the 2GS only really had the E and 5 to worry about.

Today the ENTIRE CLASS is rock solid. And to yalls point the "Tweeners" like the ES/G37/CTS/TL all steal sales as they are big like the class above it but priced much lower.

Now even the new S60 and Saab 9-5 are solid tweeners.

Quick Reply: Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ