Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI asks for it back

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 07:10 PM
BROOKLINE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant imagine what the dude is feeling right now. but cant be too safe these days.
feds just doing their job and we are paying for it i guess,,
Old 10-08-10, 10:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Yea, "keeping us safe" by secretly putting tracking devices on innocent people's cars to spy on their whereabouts

So much for land of the free..
well all those 9/11 attackers were innocent as well... tough luck to you if you are son of islamic leader in the usa and you talk about bombs on internet.
Old 10-09-10, 02:59 AM
sushimi
Rookie

ya know, for 2010 I would of thought that a tracking device would be alot smaller then that, i mean c'mon I've seen smaller tracking devices in Best Buy this thing is like from a sixties spy movie lol
Old 10-09-10, 03:50 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
well all those 9/11 attackers were innocent as well... tough luck to you if you are son of islamic leader in the usa and you talk about bombs on internet.
Who says FBI planting tracking devices underneath cars is something exclusive for "9/11 attackers" and sons of Islamic leaders?

You missed my point, and it's hardly worth me even wasting my time explaining it to you, so I'll keep it short and sweet. If the FBI can plant a device under this AMERICAN'S car, they can do the same to yours. But you'll probably lash back and say "well I've got nothing to hide, so let them". You're also probably the type of person who thinks RFID chips should be implanted into people, so they can be monitored 24/7 under the guise of "safety and security"

You're clearly not looking at the bigger picture here..
Old 10-09-10, 06:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if it is battery operated or they connected it to the battery?
Old 10-09-10, 07:25 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least the feds don't have any jurisdiction up here. I hope....
Old 10-09-10, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Apparently the kid's father was an Islamic religious leader, and when contacted by the FBI, he refused to speak to them and lawyered up. Obviously there's more to the story than meets the eye. There have been some nasty badguys that have had less conspicuous ties ...
Some good points. There are two sides to every story.

In general, even though they are not always 100% correct, the FBI doesn't go around sticking devices like this on vehicles for nothing. There are usually good reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-10 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 08:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm cool with this because IMHO, it doesn't seem to be as violating or 'illegal' (well according to the laws in your country, it says it isn't).

You want something more controversial? Google up on "CIA Extraordinary Rendition Techniques"
Old 10-09-10, 09:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Who says FBI planting tracking devices underneath cars is something exclusive for "9/11 attackers" and sons of Islamic leaders?

You missed my point, and it's hardly worth me even wasting my time explaining it to you, so I'll keep it short and sweet. If the FBI can plant a device under this AMERICAN'S car, they can do the same to yours. But you'll probably lash back and say "well I've got nothing to hide, so let them". You're also probably the type of person who thinks RFID chips should be implanted into people, so they can be monitored 24/7 under the guise of "safety and security"

You're clearly not looking at the bigger picture here..
well not tracking anyone sure didnt work out, did it?

i agree with you that they shouldnt be able to just do whatever they want, but at the same time, you are son of the islamic leader and you talk (jokingly) how it would be easy to bomb a mall... well sorry to break it to you, you better be tracked.