Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI asks for it back

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 02:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI asks for it back

Report: Student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI asks for it back

So, now that we know it is legal for the FBI to place GPS trackers on cars without a warrant, the next logical question is, how often does it happen? We can't say for sure, but the recent experience of 20-year-old U.S. student Yasir Afifi leads us to believe it's taking place more often that we'd like to think.

Afifi, who is an American citizen born here in the States with an Egyptian father, brought his Lincoln LS sedan to a mechanic who put it up on a lift. There, underneath the car, was an odd cylindrical tube connected to a device with an antenna. It wasn't a bomb, but it was a tracking device.

A friend took pictures of the device and put it up on the interwebs... which led to a gaggle of police officers and FBI agents showing up at Afifi's apartment complex in California asking for their device back... sternly. "We're going to make this much more difficult for you if you don't cooperate."

A tad worrisome, no? Says Afifi, "It seems very frightening that the FBI have placed a surveillance-tracking device on the car of a 20-year-old American citizen who has done nothing more than being half-Egyptian." We agree... but it apparently doesn't violate the 4th Amendment.

Turns out Afifi has nothing to worry about. "You're boring," said an unidentified agent. This is one of those rare cases where being boring is a rather good thing

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/08/r...i-asks-for-it/
Old 10-08-10, 03:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so fbi is pretty dumb, they don't even know how to "hide" something?
Old 10-08-10, 03:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they don't expect you to look under your car.

but after reading this, i bet hundreds of paranoid people went to look
Old 10-08-10, 03:58 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That seems like a pretty big tracking device to me--especially for one that's meant to go unnoticed by the trackee.
Old 10-08-10, 04:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol fail. lol @ your boring.
Old 10-08-10, 04:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm always underneath my car haha, is always rattling. Can he sue for this?
Old 10-08-10, 04:36 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I'm always underneath my car haha, is always rattling. Can he sue for this?
For WHAT?????

It's the American way...
Old 10-08-10, 05:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd throw that thing into the sewer if i found it on my car. Let the pigs get a bit dirty trying to retrieve it.
Old 10-08-10, 05:27 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that thing is HUGE.
Old 10-08-10, 05:50 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe how big those units are. Not many secure places to hide it, esp. if you're in a hurry I bet. A bunch of websites have described it as a a Guardian ST820, a unit that costs $6,500. No wonder they came to get it.

Apparently the kid's father was an Islamic religious leader, and when contacted by the FBI, he refused to speak to them and lawyered up. Obviously there's more to the story than meets the eye. There have been some nasty badguys that have had less conspicuous ties ... I'm just glad they're out there keeping us safe.

Now, if anyone has Q's phone number, I think the FBI could use some of his help.
Old 10-08-10, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i wonder if there is an accident and unit got damaged, would fbi send you a bill for it?
Old 10-08-10, 06:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
For WHAT?????

It's the American way...
Its the american way because most americans don't know any other response to thing, i hate suing my dad has been sued numerous times by patients families whoes relatives died 4 years after their last visit, people are stupid. And i don't know ha, this new york salt just turns everything to rust. I think its the shields behind the brake disks?
Old 10-08-10, 06:23 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Its the american way because most americans don't know any other response to thing, i hate suing my dad has been sued numerous times by patients families whoes relatives died 4 years after their last visit, people are stupid. And i don't know ha, this new york salt just turns everything to rust. I think its the shields behind the brake disks?
Couldn't agree more...
Old 10-08-10, 06:41 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder if there is an accident and unit got damaged, would fbi send you a bill for it?
This is what makes me curious? If someone found it under their car, destroyed it, and tossed it in the trash, could the govt come there and make them pay up for it? I don't see how they could, legally that is.
Old 10-08-10, 06:45 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Can't believe how big those units are. Not many secure places to hide it, esp. if you're in a hurry I bet. A bunch of websites have described it as a a Guardian ST820, a unit that costs $6,500. No wonder they came to get it.

Apparently the kid's father was an Islamic religious leader, and when contacted by the FBI, he refused to speak to them and lawyered up. Obviously there's more to the story than meets the eye. There have been some nasty badguys that have had less conspicuous ties ... I'm just glad they're out there keeping us safe.
Yea, "keeping us safe" by secretly putting tracking devices on innocent people's cars to spy on their whereabouts

So much for land of the free..

Quick Reply: Report: Student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI asks for it back