Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vote for your picks for the Internet Car and Truck of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Vote for your picks for the Internet Car and Truck of the Year

Vote for your picks for the Internet Car and Truck of the Year

Jealous that only journalists seem to be able to weigh in on "car of the year" judging? Now's your chance to make your own voice heard! Voting is underway for the Internet Car and Truck of the Year, now in its second year. The ICATOY actually pools votes from two juries for a pair of awards – one from professional internet auto writers (*full disclosure: author is a member of said jury) and the other from enthusiasts like yourself.

SEPT. 23, 2010 – For the second year in a row, consumers will have the opportunity to vote on their choice for Internet Car of the Year and Internet Truck of the Year. It all happens at www.internetcarandtruckoftheyear.com, where the Internet Pros and the Average Joes Pick the Car and Truck of the Year. At the same time, Internet automotive journalists are invited to submit pieces for a writing contest.

A panel of 15 Internet automotive writers has voted on 8 semi-finalists for Internet Car of the Year and 7 semi-finalists for Internet Truck of the Year. That's right – this year there are 8 semi-finalists for car of the year because of a tie in voting by the jurors.

Consumers are now invited to vote on the website for Consumer Internet Car of the Year and Consumer Internet Truck of the Year starting at Noon (EDT), today, Sept. 23.

This is the only place on the Internet (where 91% of new car shoppers begin their shopping process) for consumers to vote on a Car and Truck of the Year at a website not dominated by manufacturer advertising. The website will not accept any OEM advertising for vehicles eligible for a Car or Truck of the Year award.

Consumers will have until Oct. 16 at noon to register their selections for Internet Car of the Year and Internet Truck of the Year. Then, starting Oct. 19 at noon they will select among three vehicles in each category that have been selected as finalists. Voting ends Nov. 13. The awards will be presented in December.

The semi-finalists for Car of the Year are:
Buick Regal
Cadillac CTS-V coupe
Chevrolet Cruze
Ford Fiesta
Ford Mustang GT
Hyundai Sonata
Infiniti M56
VW Jetta

The semi-finalists for Truck of the Year are:
Cadillac SRX
Ford Super Duty
GMC Sierra 2500
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage
Ram 2500

Another exciting aspect of the Internet Car and Truck of the Year is the Internet Automotive Journalism Contest. Writers and bloggers will be invited to submit their best automotive Internet pieces from September 1, 2009 to September 1, 2010. Internet automotive writers will be awarded in the following categories:

• Best Feature written solely for the Internet
• Best Automotive Review written solely for the Internet
• Best Single Blog Entry
• Best Series of Blog Entries.

All winners will have their work either presented or linked to on
www.InternetCarandTruckoftheYear.com (depending on original publication guidelines).

The emerging dominance of the Internet has created a major opportunity for further recognition of "best of the best." The founding of Internet Car and Truck of the Year LLC fills a void in this important medium. It will be creating four major awards that, because of their nature, will gain instant credibility and prestige: Internet Car of the Year, Internet Truck of the Year, Consumer Choice Internet Vehicle of the Year and the Internet Automotive Journalist of the Year.

The Internet Car of the Year was created by Keith Griffin, the Guide to Used Cars for About.com, and the National Hyundai Examiner for Examiner.com, as well as a print automotive journalist and vice president of the New England Motor Press Association. Marketing for the awards is being handled by Al Vinikour of Vinikour Communications in Trenton, Michigan.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/08/v...k-of-the-year/
Old 10-09-10, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I used to pick a Car and Truck of the year (just, for those who asked, my own private opinion) for a number of years, but stopped doing that when I started writing up formal car reviews.

Part of the problem with COTY/TOTY awards is that the calender-year of the vehicle often doesn't match the actual time the vehicle is introduced. It used to be that new vehicles were introduced in September and October, each fall. Now they are introduced throughout the year as they become ready for market......so a "2011" award could be in effect for a vehicle, for example, actually introduced in early 2010, and be nearly a year old when 2011 actually comes around.

Just for the record, though, for 2011 (vehicle-model-year) Car of the Year, I'd probably pick the Nissan Leaf...the first significant all-battery-electric vehicle, from a mainstream manufacturer, in the American market (the former GM Impact was only marketed to a very narow slice of the market). For Truck of the Year, I'm sufficiently impressed with the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, as of now, to give it the award, but I'm admit I haven't seen the all-new Ford Explorer yet (I'm waiting for it to be released, for a review).

The Leaf may not sell in huge numbers, but COTY/TOTY is not necessarily dependent on mass-marketing or big-sales. It is usually given for what is considered the most signficant (or improved) new vehicle design.