Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another plus with a hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 07:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another plus with a hybrid

300 miles on my Camry hybrid and the brake dust accumulation on the front wheels is low,very low,surprisingly low.
First 300 miles and the MPG average is at 31.6.
Old 10-09-10, 09:30 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if the regenerative braking is retarding the car rather than the brakes thereby reducing the wear and subsequent dust.
Old 10-09-10, 09:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

indeed, your pads and discs will last much longer now ... same goes for other mechanical components.
Old 10-09-10, 10:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hahaha, nice!!

try going from a mini cooper s to a prius.....the mini brake dust was freakin aweful!!!! a drive to the store and back (5 miles) would produce noticeable brake dust even with conservative driving!

the prius....zero brake dust! I expect the pads to last 100K+ miles.

--- So Joe -- what are your normal driving speeds? 31.6mpg is pretty good for the first 300 miles....the engine should loosen up a bit after a few thousand miles, so expect to see an increase in mpg

Last edited by bagwell; 10-09-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

absolutely nothing to do with hybrid or not. gs450h and ls600hl, factory form, drive around and enjoy 2 tone color wheels front and back
Old 10-09-10, 10:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

--- So Joe -- what are your normal driving speeds? 31.6mpg is pretty good for the first 300 miles....the engine should loosen up a bit after a few thousand miles, so expect to see an increase in mpg
the prius....zero brake dust! I expect the pads to last 100K+ miles.
The wife drives it.I've only put about 40 miles on it.
So far she's driven about 70/30 city/hwy.
Does hit traffic to and from work.She is not a car person but loves it!
I've read the mileage drops in cold weather.Winter is coming.

I've heard pads can last to 150K.
There's 'B' on the shifter than brakes too.Haven't tried it.
Does the Prius have it,Bag?

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-09-10 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The wife drives it.I've only put about 40 miles on it.
So far she's driven about 70/30 city/hwy.
Does hit traffic to and from work.She is not a car person but loves it!
I've read the mileage drops in cold weather.Winter is coming.

I've heard pads can last to 150K.
There's 'B' on the shifter than brakes too.Haven't tried it.
Does the Prius have it,Bag?
yes the Prius has it as well....I was just going to say its for engine braking, like going down a hill....but I found this....

okay, in a conventional automobile, when you let up on the gas, you feel engine braking, slowing you down. This is especially useful going down a hill, as it keeps you from going too fast. Obviously, with the Prius, when you lift your foot from the gas, and start going downhill, the gas engine stops and you are flying along on electricity, or just coasting faster and faster. What "B" mode does is spin the gas engine without providng either a spark or gas, so that it doesn't actually start, but actually provides drag on the car's progress. It's the same as when driving a conventional car and you put the transmission from D to L to slow the car down on a downhill slope, or downshift in a manual transmission. Does the exact same thing.

I have owned a Toyota hybrid since 2002, and I have used "B" mode exactly once, and that was just to see what it would do. If you lightly ride your brake pedal going down the hill, you will engage the regenerative braking without engaging the regular friction brakes, and they will not fade or overheat. All you will do is charge the battery to its absolute maximum allowed by the software.
Old 10-09-10, 12:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
yes the Prius has it as well....I was just going to say its for engine braking, like going down a hill....but I found this....

okay, in a conventional automobile, when you let up on the gas, you feel engine braking, slowing you down. This is especially useful going down a hill, as it keeps you from going too fast. Obviously, with the Prius, when you lift your foot from the gas, and start going downhill, the gas engine stops and you are flying along on electricity, or just coasting faster and faster. What "B" mode does is spin the gas engine without providng either a spark or gas, so that it doesn't actually start, but actually provides drag on the car's progress. It's the same as when driving a conventional car and you put the transmission from D to L to slow the car down on a downhill slope, or downshift in a manual transmission. Does the exact same thing.

I have owned a Toyota hybrid since 2002, and I have used "B" mode exactly once, and that was just to see what it would do. If you lightly ride your brake pedal going down the hill, you will engage the regenerative braking without engaging the regular friction brakes, and they will not fade or overheat. All you will do is charge the battery to its absolute maximum allowed by the software.
Very interesting,thanks!
Old 10-09-10, 01:50 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it guys, your toys are cooler than mine. Now I see why some call hybrids performance cars: there might not be performance in speed, but certainly in mpg and technology.

Last edited by tzu911; 10-09-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 03:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The on dash MPG readout must be the last hundred miles or so.
I just came back from a 105 miles round trip,mostly highway and the readout was 33.6 MPG.
The wife is heavy on the foot with accelerating from a stop.Could be the difference.
Old 10-09-10, 05:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Great news about the mileage Joeb. Like bagwell said, it'll get better. Filling up less often is nice too It might go down a mile or two in the winter but not too bad.

I agree with you about less brake dust. Every week when I spritz the rims with Sonax, it doesn't turn red, the inside a little a bit. I use the wheel woolies to get in there. Cleaning couldn't be easier. I hope it means the pads will last a long, long time

B mode sounds neat. I wonder if using the sequential shift in the RX450h has the same effect

Learning about the hybrid and technology involved is unbelievable. Makes me appreciate my RX a lot more. Enjoy driving the Camryh
Old 10-09-10, 05:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Great news about the mileage Joeb. Like bagwell said, it'll get better. Filling up less often is nice too It might go down a mile or two in the winter but not too bad.

I agree with you about less brake dust. Every week when I spritz the rims with Sonax, it doesn't turn red, the inside a little a bit. I use the wheel woolies to get in there. Cleaning couldn't be easier. I hope it means the pads will last a long, long time

B mode sounds neat. I wonder if using the sequential shift in the RX450h has the same effect

Learning about the hybrid and technology involved is unbelievable. Makes me appreciate my RX a lot more. Enjoy driving the Camryh
Yes Anita,over 400 miles and the gas gauge needle is still right between 1/4 and 1/2 tank and I didn't buy the car for the mileage.Just wanted to try a hybrid and not pay much of a hybrid premium.
Less brake dust is great.
I wasn't really interested in this hybrid thing but I'm loving it now.
I still can't get over how my wife,who isn't a car person at all,is loving it and talks about it so much.
Old 10-09-10, 05:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I still can't get over how my wife,who isn't a car person at all,is loving it and talks about it so much.
It's good you didn't get the 450h. You'd never get to drive it
Old 10-09-10, 05:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
It's good you didn't get the 450h. You'd never get to drive it
I don't want to drive one!I'm afraid I'll like it too much.
No doubt it's got to be very nice but a $5k premium for the hybrid on a pleasure vehicle that is driven 5k-6K mile per doesn't work for me.I spent too much as it is but I love a smallish SUV type vehicle and the gas RX works for me even with so much more brake dust.
Old 10-09-10, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

300 miles on my Camry hybrid and the brake dust accumulation on the front wheels is low,very low,surprisingly low.
That's not surprising at all, with a hybrid. I was going to explain the reason for it, (regenerative braking, with the electric motor acting in reverse as a generator, creating drag and charging up the battery-pack), but bagwell beat me to most of it...he explained it pretty well.

In fact, regenerative braking can be so effective that Honda, on the regular Civic Hybrid (not the Insight or CR-Z), doesn't even bother to put big holes on the alloy wheels for brake cooling....the brakes don't produce that much heat, and having smaller holes means less air-turbulence around the wheels and better aerodynamics.

Quick Reply: Another plus with a hybrid