Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

US Cop gives a German Tourist a Hard Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 11:00 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The cop should have been professional and respectful and not talking to others the way he did. Doesn't matter if the person pulled over is from Germany, NY, Texas, etc...
Old 10-13-10, 11:00 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't professional, the comments about being violated were just out of line here.
Old 10-13-10, 11:10 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The cop singled him out for being different...for being "not from around here".

This thread would have an entirely different tone if the cop had pulled over someone with a dark complexion and went on a 2-minute rant beginning with "Boy, you're not from around here, are you?"

Does anyone here think that the person caught in that situation would post a thread saying "Great news guys! I just got a warning instead of a ticket...and all I had to do was listen to a cop go on a 2-minute tear about how I'm nothing but a no-good, dirty n****r! Woot! ...Well, he also threatened to a**-rape me also but, no ticket! Must be my lucky day!"
Old 10-13-10, 11:24 AM
oguitar
Driver School Candidate

I wish America had an Autobahn. Tired of these silly speed limits. That guy got lucky though.
Old 10-13-10, 12:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha, the guy was probably just trying to enjoy a proper drive in a proper car in the proper country.

They might have autobahn in Gërmany, but they drive gutless cars that are barely capable of 60mph
Old 10-13-10, 01:35 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were a Cop and pulled someone over for going nearly 100 mph and I knew I wasn't going to give him a ticket, you can bet your bottom dollar that a verbal lashing would be of the highest order. At least the guy was respectful to the officer.
Old 10-13-10, 01:52 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Wow... how come I've never been lucky enough to get stopped by cops like him when I sped? I even have a valid license!
Old 10-13-10, 07:11 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys this video is fake, its been discussed thousands of times in other forums
Old 10-13-10, 09:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

A friend of mine has a real video when he got pulled over in his Viper for 140+. It was also in Texas, and the trooper let him go but not without a tongue lashing. He absolutely refuses to put it on youtube because he doesn't want the officer to get in trouble.

Yes, he knows very well he could have gone to jail and had his car impounded. He's been through that too...
Old 10-13-10, 09:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This had me rolling, i got yelled at by a highway patrol before, nothing racist but it was bad. Hey i drove away with my right hand shaking and no ticket. Ill take the mouth any day over a speeding ticket of 30+.
Old 10-14-10, 01:50 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Haha, the guy was probably just trying to enjoy a proper drive in a proper car in the proper country.

They might have autobahn in Gërmany, but they drive gutless cars that are barely capable of 60mph
That's a ridiculous comment. Even the smallest engined car for sale in Germany is capable of at least 90mph (VW Fox 1.2 litre) - most will easily top 100mph.

You've clearly never driven down a German autobahn (which put most US roads to shame) at a steady 90mph and been overtaken by a steady stream of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis etc, all doing well in excess of 110mph.

As for the cop in the video, I think he's been watching too many movies and decided to try out his "bad cop" persona. That said, highway cops see a lot of fatal accidents caused by excess speed and often have to inform the relatives of the deceased with all the subsequent distress for them and the families, so I can understand his frustration somewhat. Who's to say he hasn't just dealt with a fatality just previous to this stop?

When I first started driving in the States in the early 90s I found the pace of traffic on the freeway so slow compared to what I was used to in Europe that I usually found myself passing everything on the road until, inevitably, I was stopped by the police. To be fair to the officers involved they were always extremely polite and sent me on my way with only an admonishment.

Last edited by Big Andy; 10-14-10 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 02:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you one thing: Cops in Florida (i am not going to say whole US cause I didn't drive everywhere) are very reasonable and 90% I went home without a ticket. As a matter of fact I only got one in ten years and even then state trooper informed me to plea no contest at curt since it was my first one. Of course at first she was yelling at me first but then she smiled

My impression is that US cops want to show you they are authority and law has to be obeyed (they scare you) and then they punish you if they want to.
If you drive in Italy, Hungary or even France first thing they do is hand you the ticket, act like they are your buddy and worst of all take your passport until you pay the ticket. I've got more tickets in those countries just driving trough or staying for a week or so than whole my life in US.
Most of the times you can get out of it if you just give money to a police officer and he will tear up the ticket. Just don't try this in Germany But it works like a charm in eastern Europe.

One thing that goes on my nerves so bad is in some parts of Europe there are so called routine stops. They basically stop you for doin nothing just to check if you have valid license, registration, winter tires, medikit, etc. Very frustrating!

I love Florida cops a lot more than any other cop I've ever encountered in the world period. Two completely different roles in representing the law between Florida cop and lets say Italian cop.
Old 10-14-10, 06:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
That's a ridiculous comment. Even the smallest engined car for sale in Germany is capable of at least 90mph (VW Fox 1.2 litre) - most will easily top 100mph.

You've clearly never driven down a German autobahn (which put most US roads to shame) at a steady 90mph and been overtaken by a steady stream of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis etc, all doing well in excess of 110mph.

As for the cop in the video, I think he's been watching too many movies and decided to try out his "bad cop" persona. That said, highway cops see a lot of fatal accidents caused by excess speed and often have to inform the relatives of the deceased with all the subsequent distress for them and the families, so I can understand his frustration somewhat. Who's to say he hasn't just dealt with a fatality just previous to this stop?

When I first started driving in the States in the early 90s I found the pace of traffic on the freeway so slow compared to what I was used to in Europe that I usually found myself passing everything on the road until, inevitably, I was stopped by the police. To be fair to the officers involved they were always extremely polite and sent me on my way with only an admonishment.
LOL, to be honest, I was just being sarcastic

I'd love a ride on the German Autobahn... in a Soviet tank
Old 10-14-10, 07:02 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was prepared to be incensed by this video, thinking great, another "cops behaving badly" video.

The rape threat was disturbing and uncalled for, but on the whole this guy was extremely lucky.

Originally Posted by Vladi

One thing that goes on my nerves so bad is in some parts of Europe there are so called routine stops. They basically stop you for doin nothing just to check if you have valid license, registration, winter tires, medikit, etc. Very frustrating!
About a year ago, I was driving down a long busy neighborhood street (with limited access) near my home in the late morning on a weekday. Just ahead is a cop pulled off to the side of the road, and a quick glance at the speedo has me feeling very lucky that I just happen to be driving close to the speed limit at the moment. Over the next hill, traffic had come to a complete stop, with 20-30 cars in front of me. After a few minutes of inching forward, I can see about 8-10 cruisers with their lights on, stopping motorists approaching their position from both directions. I was thinking that they must be looking for someone, because they were taking paperwork from each and every driver and radioing it in. Several cars had been pulled off to the side of the road, but most were passing through after a minute or so. When I get up to bat, I hand over my license as requested and ask the officer what's going on. He tells me that this is a checkpoint (duh). I ask what they're looking for, and he tells me that they're checking for valid drivers licenses and that they do this one day each month in several preplanned locations around the city. After his radio presumably informs him that I am not very interesting, he sends me on my way and I continue to my destination. About a half-hour late. And the cop I passed? It turns out that he is there to catch people who turn around in line to go the other way.

I thought I was in the twilight zone or ****-Germany or something. Still surprised that they can do this.
Old 10-14-10, 08:31 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, to be honest, I was just being sarcastic

I'd love a ride on the German Autobahn... in a Soviet tank
There's a lot of us who'd pay good money to see you driving down the autobahn in that tank, waving out the top!

Quick Reply: US Cop gives a German Tourist a Hard Time