Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW class action suit HPP (recall issued after Good Morning America episode)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 01:29 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see BMW finally caved in on this issue. Having the 335 go into limp mode on I-5 just before the Grapevine was NOT fun. Though like others have asked, what is the fix?

The running tally so far is:
2 fuel pumps
1 transmission
1 sheared wheel (a spare tire would have come in handy)
a bevy of quirky i-drive glitches

Last edited by cal_alum98; 10-28-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 07:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.

Apparently this recall is something that has been issued by BMW NA (read USA) and not BMW Canada.

I have just read through an exchange of emails between my father and BMW Canada. They contend that the recall has not been issued in Canada and that there are "differences" between the Canadian and US X6's.

What a load of BS?

I realize that there are certain safety, emission, etc. differences...but they are trying to say that there would be any difference between the engines/turbos/HPFP??? Seriously, wtf?

While we have been happy with our X5, this kind of bs, is exactly the kind of garbage that will keep me out of the F10 M5 and sell my X5 before the warranty expires.
Old 10-28-10, 08:15 PM
LexFather

We have seen Toyota get killed for recalls and one of the major issues has been their slow attempts to fix things and outright ignoring problems.

BMW AMAZINGLY watched that happen and continues to do the same thing in their situation.

Contrarily Hyundai has been real quick to recall vehicles this year.

Lets see how the news covers this.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Wow.

Apparently this recall is something that has been issued by BMW NA (read USA) and not BMW Canada.

I have just read through an exchange of emails between my father and BMW Canada. They contend that the recall has not been issued in Canada and that there are "differences" between the Canadian and US X6's.

What a load of BS?

I realize that there are certain safety, emission, etc. differences...but they are trying to say that there would be any difference between the engines/turbos/HPFP??? Seriously, wtf?

While we have been happy with our X5, this kind of bs, is exactly the kind of garbage that will keep me out of the F10 M5 and sell my X5 before the warranty expires.
Very sorry to hear that hopefully the recall expands.

This is of interest. Seems Mini Cooper Turbo owners have been complaining about this issue as well and are ticked they still have no recall. They also claim a huge timing tensioner issue.

Back in June
http://www.normantaylor.com/blog/lem...ed-to-you-yet/

Seems many felt nothing would have been done until the ABC report

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/27/ha...call-decision/

Old 10-28-10, 08:18 PM
LexFather

CDN some Canadians thoughts...

jeff says: October 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm
BMW USA has issued a recall, and extended the warranty on the fuel pump to 6 years, 120k miles. Good for them, the eventually got it right. But if they replace your fuel pump, it still is a flawed design.
BMW Canada has refused to acknowldege it is an issue. If you are in Canada, please contact BMW Customer Service at 1-8000567-2691 and register a complaint that BMW Canada has not provided its customers with the same extended warranty and recall as BMW USA. Also go to Transport Canada at http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-index-76.htm and follow the online public defects form to register a complaint there. BMW Canada customers will only get the same level of assistance if we get a critical volume of complaints.
Ken in Canada says: October 28, 2010 at 1:36 am
My experience was satisfactory. I had the problem with my 2009 335i. I called my dealer/service dept. ( Maranello- in Toronto) on Saturday and I was in first thing Monday. they paid for a rental and by Wednesday afternoon I had a new HPFP. No attempt to get rid of me with a software fix. Maybe my timing was right.
Maybe they have reached a point where they are dealing with it on an as come basis, although one would expect an extended warranty and recall here as well. I thought I saw a canadian mention a “secret 10 year warranty” being honoured in Canada on one of the boards when I was researching the problem.
Rick says: October 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm
Good advice. Called BMW Canada who advised they were doing nothing. So called Transport Canada who advised that BMW Canada had in fact announced a recall/warranty extension. Left hand…right hand!

Old 10-28-10, 08:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CDN some Canadians thoughts...
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it!

I'll pass this on to my father and see what else shows up.
Old 10-28-10, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is pretty ugly of bmw... i really don't know what they are thinking, nothing positive is going to come out of this...