Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

127 MPG: What Motor Trend got driving the Volt in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Let's be honest. Most people don't really care bout the "Green" part of these cars. The bottom line to many will be how much it cost to operate per month or per year. Out of all those cars listed above, only the Leaf and Volt theoretically could be driven an actual round trip without burning the fuel in the on board gas tank.

I pay about $350 in gas per month for 1 car. My question would be how much would I save driving each car per month. With the plug in cars, it will raise my electricity bill, but how much? Those that have a Photovoltaic system could really see huge benefits here.
well thats the problem, because Volt, only driven on electricity will save you only 15%-20% in fuel costscompared to 50MPG Prius... and since Volt gets only 33-35MPG when out of electricity, if you drive it more than those 25-50 electric miles, you are going to spend MORE than on Prius.

Also Volt is a lot heavier, has cheaper interior than can seat only 4, and smaller trunk. Once out of electricity, it will have problems going uphill since 84hp engine is not strong enough to drive 3800lb sedan. Its Cd is also 0.28, much worse than Prius.
Old 10-21-10, 01:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well thats the problem, because Volt, only driven on electricity will save you only 15%-20% in fuel costscompared to 50MPG Prius... and since Volt gets only 33-35MPG when out of electricity, if you drive it more than those 25-50 electric miles, you are going to spend MORE than on Prius.

Also Volt is a lot heavier, has cheaper interior than can seat only 4, and smaller trunk. Once out of electricity, it will have problems going uphill since 84hp engine is not strong enough to drive 3800lb sedan. Its Cd is also 0.28, much worse than Prius.
Buying a Prius over the Volt is a no-brainer.

I think a majority of people will find that plugging a car in every night is a pain. Hell, plugging in all of our other devices such as cell phones, iPod's, laptops, iPads, ect. is enough things to charge each day.

I'll take a Prius and a lifetime worth of gas instead of the Volt.

Get this...

Buy a $22K Prius + $18K in gas = driving Prius for 327,000+ miles! (today's price of $2.75/gal)

Or buy a Volt which doesn't hold as much, won't last as long, and you have to plug it in everyday.
Old 10-21-10, 01:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Or buy a Volt which doesn't hold as much, won't last as long, and you have to plug it in everyday.
its not REQUIRED to plug in the Volt everyday.
Old 10-21-10, 02:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
its not REQUIRED to plug in the Volt everyday.
Of course. But then you have yourself a Chevy Cruze.
Old 10-21-10, 03:38 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Updated my original post with the new information coming out.

Let me break it down like this:

Updated 10/21/10

The Chevy Volt:
  • Avg 40miles per charge on just electricity (20-60miles)
  • Hybrid mode only runs at 33mpg (34% less efficient than the Prius)
  • Fuel Tank is 9.3 gallons
  • Total Range is 346.9 miles
  • MPG for entire tank becomes 37.3mpg
  • 16kWh Battery. 10.4kWh to recharge (gas recharge kicks in at 35%)
  • Base Price is $33,500 after rebates (~10K more than Prius)

The Toyota Prius:
  • Combined Hwy/Cty 50 mpg
  • Fuel Tank is 11.9 gallons
  • Total Range is 595 miles (41.7% more than the Volt)
  • Base Price is $22,800 after rebates

2011/2012 Plug-in Prius:
  • Up to 13 miles per charge (67% less than the Volt)
  • Total Range then becomes 608 miles (43% more than the Volt)
  • MPG for entire tank becomes 51.1mpg
  • Base Price $n/a (estimates put it at $5-8 grand more)

The Nissan Leaf:
  • Up to 100 miles per charge (150% more than the Volt)
  • Base Price is $25,280 after rebates (29% less than the Volt)

The Tesla Roadster:
  • [*]
  • [*]

These numbers are all based on published values. Show people real numbers like these and let them decide which is best for them. Just remember the more you drive without recharging your batteries the closer your mpg gets to it's hybrid efficiency.

Cost of electricity not incorporated in these numbers. Those figures will depend on where and how you get electricity. (Wind, solar, nuclear, coal,....etc)

Chevy Volt vs. Toyota Prius Comparison

Based on $3.00 per gallon for fuel. If you drive ONLY on electricity for the Volt, you would have to be paying less than $0.26/kWh of electricity for the Volt to be more efficient then the Prius. Once the Volt gets into hybrid mode, it quickly becomes less efficient compared to the Prius.

At $3.00 per gallon for fuel, you can drive a Prius for ~170,000 miles before you get into the price range of the Volt. (Volt = Prius + $10K)

So all in all, the Volt is nothing special. It has been hyped up so much and it meets non of the expectations it was trying to achieve.

I'm glad Government Motors is spending our tax dollars wisely.
Old 10-21-10, 04:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'll believe the hoopla about the Volt when the car is actually released and in the hands of consumers. Sames goes with the Leaf. It could be 100 miles, it could be 50 miles in reality. Who knows (yet)?

I'm skeptical that the fuel economy of the Volt could be so low, as a number of average joes who were given Plug in Priui to test average over 60 MPG on a dry battery. And while the Volt may be heavier, it has far better batteries and a smaller engine. Which leads me to the following theory.

Cruising at 70 MPH in the 400h, the RX does well maintaining a charge by powering only the front wheels with the electric motors and ICE. But when placed under stress, such as towing, the rear electric motor must assist, thus the charge of the battery is not maintained and the ICE has to create energy for the battery. The result is a drop in fuel economy. IMO the remedy is a rear drive shaft. I believe that would be more efficient in towing scenarios, but of course less efficient in everyday, which is really where the bulk of the miles are. But perhaps the same is true with the 3800 lb. Volt. Its a heavy vehicle, perhaps it would do better with the ICE directly linked to the front wheels as opposed to serving as a generator. However, I am no engineer. This is just an observation I have made.
Old 10-23-10, 10:13 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

leave it to GM to screw it up. I was on board, even signed up on the interest list when it was making the car show circuit. Then they redesigned the exterior and we get that ugly as sin car, no thanks. All the disappointing final #'s lead me to believe we will once again have to bail out this failure of a company.
Old 10-24-10, 06:53 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc-driver
The Nissan Leaf:

* Up to 100 miles per charge (150% more than the Volt)
* Base Price is $25,280 after rebates (29% less than the Volt)
These comparisons to the Nissan leaf are hardly relevant, but not saying you shouldn't have made them. We all appreciate the breakdown.

But it is apples and oranges.

The Volt is a far more technologically sophisticated vehicle. It's much more complicated to make an extended range electric vehicle that needs to gracefully combine an electric drivetrain with a backup gas generator, then to build a pure electric.

I would even argue that the Prius is more complicated to built than the Leaf.

And of course a pure electric will always have a much better all electric range than a car with a gas engine backup. There's simply much more room for a bigger battery and overall the car should be lighter.
Old 10-24-10, 06:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
leave it to GM to screw it up. I was on board, even signed up on the interest list when it was making the car show circuit. Then they redesigned the exterior and we get that ugly as sin car, no thanks. All the disappointing final #'s lead me to believe we will once again have to bail out this failure of a company.
The concept version wouldn't have sold, it was completely impractical for most people. Which is why the Prius is a huge success, and the original 2-door Insight was a sales failure.

What do you think these back seats would be like? Quite useless, I'm sure.
And look at how tiny the doors are, even the front. Imagine getting in and out?

When it comes to the real world, a company must think about practicality. People love how concept cars LOOK, but they probably would sign a check for most of them because they can't do what they need them to do.
Old 10-24-10, 07:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah all of this MPG rating is getting pretty dumb. The EPA needs to set a president for vehicles like this and rate their battery-only range/capabilities, and then rate their battery-depleted MPG. That would make headlines like this a lot less confusing to the average consumer.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Volt costs 42k base without credits. A base Prius is 22k. The Volt with credits is what 32k. A loaded Prius is not even 32k.
The 'base' Volt comes equipped much closer to a loaded Prius than to a base model Prius.
Old 10-24-10, 08:40 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah all of this MPG rating is getting pretty dumb. The EPA needs to set a president for vehicles like this and rate their battery-only range/capabilities, and then rate their battery-depleted MPG. That would make headlines like this a lot less confusing to the average consumer.
It takes the EPA 4 years to come up with a label (which they STILL have not decided on), when logically it would make sense to simply show it as such:

Miles per Charge (city)
Miles per Charge (hwy)
Miles per Charge (combined)
MPG city (cs mode)
MPG hwy (cs mode)
MPG combined (cs mode)

They need to just lay out all 6 different numbers, because they're all important. You cannot combine them all into 1 or 2 different "equivalent" numbers, because anyway you slice it, you will come up with an inaccurate real world number. I would even add a seventh number to the label (miles per total tank) for further accuracy. This is the ONLY way to be completely accurate and let the customer know exactly what the capabilities this car has compared to other cars.
Old 10-24-10, 09:22 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly! Give this man a gold star!

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It takes the EPA 4 years to come up with a label (which they STILL have not decided on), when logically it would make sense to simply show it as such:

Miles per Charge (city)
Miles per Charge (hwy)
Miles per Charge (combined)
MPG city (cs mode)
MPG hwy (cs mode)
MPG combined (cs mode)
....This is the ONLY way to be completely accurate and let the customer know exactly what the capabilities this car has compared to other cars.